Sign in to follow this  
bowlen

Your backup procedure

Just wanting to get an idea of who does what for backing up their system. Are you using a NAS and doing a windows backup to it? Or just a second hard drive where you backup data to?

I have two partitions on my main drive, one for OS/apps, and another for data. I backup the data partition to an external drive using FullSync. Files which I cannot afford to lose are synced to my DropBox too.

Have you used SyncToy? I have been recommended it to manually copy certain folders - I'm trying it out now and it seems to be pretty good

I don't have a lot to back up except photos and some documents, I store copies on another drive and also up load the photos and docs to Skydrive

As for windows its self, if for some reason it fell over its no biggie, as I keep nothing I cannot replace on C drive. And I would just format and reinstall windows.

My "important" files are stored on two computers over 3 hard drives.

As well as one copy on an external drive.

I manually manage these folders.

No off site backups for my home data. Nothing that important.

1x 1.5TB drive with all my shite on it.

An identical drive gets powered up every few months and I ghost everything across to it.

I have a 1.5 TB drive in my computer for data I want to keep and every now and then I backup to an external 1.5 TB drive in an eSATA disk dock with SyncToy.

All my data is on a second 1TB drive which I backup every now and then to an external 1TB drive manually.

My "important" files are stored on two computers over 3 hard drives.

As well as one copy on an external drive.

I manually manage these folders.

No off site backups for my home data. Nothing that important.

Just don't forget your photos if you use a digital camera, and you store your photos at home on various drives, if there was a fire/theft you lose it all which is why I use skydrive. And I also recommend it to my friends and clients at every opportunity as its 25gig of free space so why not.

Laptop:

Acronis Trueimage backup every night to an external disk + Jungle Disk taking backups of My Documents every 15 minutes.

Desktop:

Trueimage backup every week. Nothing of importance (Save games are maybe the most important thing), but the backup will help me get back up and running if a disk crashes.

Edited by smakme7757