Sign in to follow this  
2SHY

Samsung Nexus Prime: 1.5GHz Dual Core/ 720p/Super AMOLED +/16GB Mem/1gb RAM

Bloatware kill switch in Ice Cream Sandwich

We already knew that Ice Cream Sandwich — aka, Android 4.0 — would allow us to remove any system application of our choosing be it the included web browser or email client. Matias Duarte, Senior Director of Android Experience at Google told us so directly. The only lingering question was whether carriers could override it.

Now we have confirmation from Google (supported by the SDK screengrab above) that the setting to disable an app does indeed apply to your carrier’s fondness for Nascar and pay-to-play crapware. Google also clarified that clicking “disable” removes the icon and prevents the app from running, leaving the app to be reenabled later should the end user have a change of heart. There’s nothing to stop carriers and manufacturers from pre-installing their wares but at least now you’ll have the power to remove all the unwanted clutter.

Thanks, Brendon S.

Disable apps. Very nice. <3 ICS.

I just came in here to post the Kogan link but was beaten to it :P

That vid looks pretty good, the stabilisation isn't great though. I have nothing to compare it to however, since I hardly ever record video from my phone...

The phone looks chunky in pictures, but this hand shot puts things into perspective (unless this person has particularly large hands):

Posted Image

My first impressions:

HOLY SHIT A MOTHERFUCKING GORILLA STOLE A SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS

Second impressions:

Yeah, it's probably just a big hand.

>.>

So when is Apple going to try and stop the sale of it?

Lol, good luck, looks nothing like an iPhone.

I figure Apple will just attack Samsung for everything now.

I asked a guy I know at Samsung what he thinks of the display and he claims that it's at least as good as the GSII display. Unfortunately he doesn't have an iPhone 4 to compare with, but he does claim that he cannot see individual pixels, nor is the PenTile pattern noticeable.

I also found this article regarding the Galaxy Note display which is very similar to the Galaxy Nexus display (but physically larger so lower ppi).

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Gal...for-you_id23134

Overall, I think the Galaxy Nexus is going to be very impressive.

at almost 316dpi, I don't think the fact that it's using PenTile will be a huge issue. Of course there are objectively nicer systems out there, but subjectively I suspect that those using the device aren't going to complain!

Apparently the version imported officially for Telstra/Vodafone is the HSPA+ version only. Those looking for the LTE version will need to look harder.

Probably a stupid question, but I take it there isn't going to be a model with HSPA+ AND LTE in the same?

I have not seen a LTE version of this phone yet. You may not want to. Unless you want use up your data quicker.

Vivid Wireless 4G vs Telstra 4G: 4G Networks Head To Head

With optimum coverage i get about 8-9 MBps with Telstra HSPA+. With optimum Telstra LTE coverage you should expect 11-56MBps

Up to you. I may just go with a HSPA+ version, which should be good enough.

And, i have pre ordered one through handtec. Not sure if i will be in the first batch.

I was tempted to order one from Handtek, but I'm hedging my bets on getting one from Samsung. :P

How are you doing that exactly?

Probably a stupid question, but I take it there isn't going to be a model with HSPA+ AND LTE in the same?

I have not seen a LTE version of this phone yet. You may not want to. Unless you want use up your data quicker.

Vivid Wireless 4G vs Telstra 4G: 4G Networks Head To Head

With optimum coverage i get about 8-9 MBps with Telstra HSPA+. With optimum Telstra LTE coverage you should expect 11-56MBps

Up to you. I may just go with a HSPA+ version, which should be good enough.

This is true. Might just get the HSPA+ version, it does do alright for me compared to my old carrier Optus. Now, to put aside the funds for it >.<

I was tempted to order one from Handtek, but I'm hedging my bets on getting one from Samsung. :P

"Vito Cassisi - Freelance Technology Journalist"

"Vito Cassisi - Freelance Technology Journalist"

Nothing to do with that actually, I happen to know people via my Android dev circles.