1) 1280x720 Resolution Screen 4.65" Super AMOLED+

2) 2000mAh Battery

3) 1.5GHz Dual Core Exynos CPU

4) 1gb RAM

5) 8.8mm thickness

6) 130-140gram metal body

7) 16gb Internal Memory

8) Running Android Version 2.4.1 aka Ice Cream Sandwich

For the click impaired (Preview/Hands On)

Alright so these Samsung representatives dropped by work today and gave our team a heads up about their mobile division and their flagship phones coming out in the near future. Basically they came in with the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus. They said it was a beta model, but it looked like a proper retail version. They talked about that phone, their Galaxy S II, it’s success and the Galaxy S III next year which is already in R&D.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus:

- Samsung representatives showed a working a working model of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus but not the Galaxy S III. They passed around the Galaxy Nexus phone, and we got about an hour to play with it while they were here. The phone looks similar to the Sprint variant of the Galaxy S II, with a round-edged body, but also similar to the Nexus S with a curved screen. It’s a good size, not too big if you’re used to Android phones. It’s a monster compared to iPhones though.

- Reps said that Verizon passed on the SGSII to have an exclusive deal with Samsung to stock the Galaxy Nexus.

- The SGN will run on Samsung’s Exynos dual core CPU clocked at 1.5 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Super AMOLED Plus 4.65-inch 1280 x 720 HD display, 16 GB internal memory (with SD card slot). It's 8.8mm thick with a metal body and a 2000 mAh battery (the same as the new one that’s being released for the Galaxy S II).

- It is heavier than the SGSII, weighing in at around 130g-140g because of the metal casing. It feels nice and has got decent weight.

- The phone is blazingly fast; I guess it’s as fast the SGS II. It has no issues with general use and opens apps, drawers, etc. instantly. No lag. I tried opening a whole bunch of apps, but it was still running smooth and would auto-kill once it got overloaded anyway, so you never feel the performance taking a hit.

Ice Cream Sandwich:

- Ice Cream Sandwich is very nice. It works like the current Gingerbread OS but has gotten a major facelift. The menus are a lot nicer and smoother, screens have a ‘glassy’ look to them. It just feels more polished with more animations (fast and smooth) when accessing things on the phone.

- On the demo unit, the Android version was 2.4.1, not 4.0 or whatever people were expecting.

- The app drawer has three sections at the top that you press and it goes to the drawer for your selection. There are sections for apps, games and widgets. The apps section is what we are all used to. Just a drawer for all the apps on the phone. The games section is just a drawer for all the games you’ve downloaded; the widgets section shows all the apps that have widgets available. The cool thing is you can click the widgets in the widgets section to get a view of what they look like. So you don’t have to screw around with applying a widget on a homescreen, seeing you don’t like it, deleting it, doing it again with a slightly different setting, etc. to see the difference. On ICS you get a visual representation of the widget, you can swap easily between the widgets the app provides, change the settings in real time, and then you can go ahead an apply it on a homescreen.

- Best of all with the drawers is that you can create and name your own app drawer if you want. I think the ICS comes with three standard drawers mentioned above (apps, games and widgets). The demo phone had app drawers created called “Sports” and “News” that contained all the sports and news related apps that you download. I’m not sure if the sports apps you download automatically go to the sports drawer (with some setting like auto push sports apps to drawer “Sports” or something) or if you have to put it there manually. Either way, it was very good and reduced the amount of searching for an app. With the Galaxy phones, if you didn’t know where the app was--which page it was on--it would take a while to search through it, because they weren’t in alphabetical order; they were just in the order you downloaded them. This is a LOT cleaner, more organized and feels more polished.

- I’m not familiar with Honeycomb, so I don’t know really what it pulled from there. I’m guessing quite a bit, because visually it’s quite different to current Android phones. I always thought that Android phone manufacturers made great phones, but the Android software lacked polish and user-friendliness. I was told the glassy look is from Honeycomb. There are a lot more blues and purples on the phone, rather than green. The icons look different, more shiny. The marketplace app is the same as the current one. Not sure if a new one is being worked on.

- The Gmail app is a lot better looking than the current one. If you flip the phone to the side, it has the preview pane, like how Outlook works, with the emails on the left and the message on the right. It looks really nice. Vertically, it works similarly to the current Gmail app, but looks a lot cleaner. In an email the reply button says “reply” rather than having that arrow. There’s a down arrow next to the reply button that has “reply all,” “save as draft,” etc. The threads are smaller (could be due to the higher resolution screen) and around 10-12 threads can fit on the screen. Other than visual tweaks, it’s the same thing.

- Calendar app is revised, a lot less cluttered, glassy bluish look. New calendar widget available.

- The internet browser is leaps and bounds better than what you currently get. It has a completely revamped interface, and the icon is no longer the blue earth icon. The icon is now an Android behind the earth, which is green and blue. Name is still “Internet.” But it’s really easy to use. I personally hated the stock browser for Android, but I’d actually consider using this. It has its tabs at the bottom of the screen now, similar to Opera Browser mobile. The pinch to zoom is better than before, the rendering is excellent, no checkerboards. Zoomed out the text is pristine. Really liking the browser app.

According my link, it is super fast and the Gmail looks like Outlook dual pane view. Improved internet browser and widget preview function.

This a brief rundown of the current source and expected launch date is November 3

Do want.

:o

My next phone will have specifications like this, and I'll jizz every time I put it in my pocket.

Sounds awesome. That screen resolution is higher than a lot of laptops ship with these days.

I've been following this phone for a while, hoping to replace this Meizu M9 with something better (with similar pixels per inch). So far all we've had are rumours - until this leak showed up.

Posted Image

http://www.gsmarena.com/exclusive_samsung_...s-news-3224.php

Whilst this could be fake, I'm pretty confident that it's legit. It confirms that the display resolution will infact be 1280 x 720 (320ppi), using SAMOLED+ technology, and there will be no buttons on the face of the phone (just like Honeycomb tablets). I think that's pretty cool.

My guess is that this is using a PenTile matrix to get that kind of resolution, which is concerning, but I have a feeling it won't be noticeable at such a high density.

I don't think Samsung will be using a Exynos SoC. It'll be an TI OMAP4460 or OMAP4470 SoC, because that's the reference platform for Ice Cream Sandwich.

Apparently the official specs have been revealed. They look reasonably legit.

o Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

o 9mm thin

o 4.65-inch 1280 x 720-pixel Super AMOLED HD with curved glass

o TI OMAP 4460 dual-core Cortex A9 processor clocked at 1.2GHz

o 1GB of RAM

o 32GB of built-in storage

o 5-megapixel camera on the back, 1.3-megapixel in the front

o 1080p HD video capture support

o LTE/HSPA depending on carrier

o Wi-Fi a/b/g/n

o NFC

o 1,750 mAh battery

http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/06/samsung-gala...less-exclusive/

Not too shabby if true. I'm guessing that they opted for a high quality camera instead of just jumping on the MOAR MEGAPIXELZ bandwagon.

It'll be rad if those specs are true, but it's going to be weird not having S II as the best phone around anymore...

When I start feeling like that, I'll root my phone and OC it to 1.5GHz (apparently quite doable) and buy one of those new 2000mAh batteries, then all it needs is an ICS ROM and it's basically the same!

EDIT: A year ago I would never have thought I'd be saying this about a mobile phone :)

Edited by mark84

Oh lol, more leaked info which conflicts with the last. I love rumours. :P

This time it's from GSMArena (who I'd say are a lot more respectable than BGR, but who knows when it comes to rumours). Revised specs:

1.5GHz Exynos + PowerVR SGX543MP2 (that's a dual core GPU, for those playing at home)

8MP, full 1080p HD camera with "improved sensor" (my guess is back-illuminated)

4.65-inch, 1280x720 display

2050mAh battery (:O)

http://www.gsmarena.com/source_close_to_go...s-news-3239.php

As much as I want this particular rumour to be true, I'm still convinced that they'll use an OMAP SoC. We'll see!

I'd imagine the latter rumour to be true, to match the 4S' camera. Would've expected only 16GB built-in though, expandable with a microSD slot.

I'd imagine the latter rumour to be true, to match the 4S' camera. Would've expected only 16GB built-in though, expandable with a microSD slot.

I find it hard to believe it's the new Exynos SoC as claimed. They haven't even started sampling yet.

So shiny. Horrendous video though, he didn't even show the handset properly :P

Your linked vid is down, but this one is still up:

I don't like losing hardware buttons. That makes me a sad panda.

"You can't stop the signal"

I don't like losing hardware buttons. That makes me a sad panda.

"You can't stop the signal"

I've been using a phone with all capacitive buttons, it's ok. At least they have an excuse to make them capacitive now, before it was just an aesthetics thing.

Also, for those wondering if the OMAP SoC is any good, this is a dated review of the model below the one in the Nexus Prime, and it gives the Exynos a good beating.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4179/ti-omap...timus-3d-tested

What I actually find most useful is the optical scroller on my Desire, it makes editing text easier for emails and whatnot. Mashing the screen a bunch of times to get the cursor in the right place doesn't seem to be much of an improvement.

Honestly either architecture with two cores at 1.5GHz will be plenty of power for the forseeable.

New date and place: 27th October in London

http://twitter.com/#!/SamFirmware/stat...321977284366336

Scratch that, I thought that was an official Twitter account. >_

Oh, and TheFrunj, how's this for a replacement optical scroller:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/07/knowles...axy-tab-ninten/

:P

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.