Sign in to follow this  
disolusiond

Is anyone familiar with Dell monitors?

So I've been looking at getting a new monitor and a second GTX 570. I really wanted to go 30", that was until I saw the price. Anyways, I've had one of these strongly suggested to me http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/product...&redirect=1 but I'm not sure. Seems a lot of $ for a 27" monitor.

I like the fact that I can play my games in 2560 x 1440 but it seems to be lacking in other areas that cheaper 27"ers are not, like the 80,000 : 1 contrast ratio for example. I really have no idea. Is it better to have a 20,000,00:1 contrast ratio but only 1900 x 1080 resolution? Little help please people. Maybe some hints on what to be concerned about when monitor shopping if nobody has any experience with the Dells.

Thanks in advance :)

contrast ratio given for monitors can be a bit exaggerated and may only be achievable during unrealistic conditions that make the monitor look like crap

you can bet the dell u2711 will have richer and more accurate coulor than any of the cheaper tn panels but you pay for it

view angle on ips monitors is much better

the large dell ips monitors dont have a led backlight which means they use a bit more power but the backlight is slightly more even

the only place they are lacking other than price is the response time but 6ms vs 2ms isnt much and most people cant notice the difference

i had enough trouble spotting it on my old monitor which was 12-16ms it was only obvious with black lines quickly moving past a bright background

Edited by Dasa

This feature is what makes them so awesome and highly sought after at a professional level not to mention why you pay a premium:

Compatible with Industry Colour Standards: 100% sRGB, 96% AdobeRGB meets the needs of professional users involved in Colour-centric work such as graphic design, CAD/CAM, gaming and media creation.

Thank you for the info. Looks like I'll be getting one of the Dell 27" the. God how I would love a 30", I just can't justify $1600 for a monitor, not ever.

Dont worry. Once you get it home and setup you'll just see how fucking amazing it is. Me and Nesquick have both had them and I believe Dasa has one too.

Its simply one of the best purchases I've made.

Niiiiice! I can't wait. I'd order it today but I want to get a second GTX 570 at the same time, need another week or so before I have enough spare $ to get both. I'm using my 40" Bravia for a monitor atm so it's going to be a nice step up.

with some haggling you can get a U3011 down to about ~$1300

yer and the u2711 for ~$700

$1300 is still too much. $1000 is too much. It's a monitor for fuck sake. If I won the lotto THEN I would spend that much on a monitor. $700 to $800 is still boo koo money but I figure it's only a few hundred more than I would normally spend so I can justify it to myself.

the U3011 is not your average monitor ;) worth every cent IMO and compared to say the HP 30" IPS panel quite the bargain, Dell just gaurantees color accuracy, if you were into photography and video editing you would only ever look at these kind of screens.

Edited by nesquick

I have a Dell 3008WFP / Dell 30". Its extremely good at everything i do with it. I was going to multiple screens, But one big screen is quite useful and less hassle than a multi-monitor setup.

I have a Dell 3008WFP / Dell 30". Its extremely good at everything i do with it. I was going to multiple screens, But one big screen is quite useful and less hassle than a multi-monitor setup.

+1, I have the same monitor, and while it hurt to spend $2k on a monitor, it's justified IMO. People will spend megabucks on short lived components inside a box, but skimp on the bits that make up the human interface.

Once you have met a reasonable standard for the internals, the extra money shows greatly diminishing returns. Quality keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers are more deserving of budget than an increase of clock speed, memory or GPU cores, if you are working with visual/audio content a lot.

While one monitor is nice, I added a budget 21" LCD as a second screen last time I updated, because they are so cheap - handy for mail/web on the side.

But I'd still pick a single higher resolution 30" or 27" screen over multiple 24" screens - at work my laptop has three 1920x1080 res screens (15.6" laptop screen + 2x24), and it's good for business stuff, but for photo editing give me my one 30" screen.