Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
disolusiond

Second hand/discontinued PC components

Not sure if this is the right section for this, but whatever. I was in the process of shopping around for the best price on a second MSI GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Overclocked to run in SLI and beef up my rig a little. PC Case Gear wasn't selling them any more so I sent an email asking why not. They've been discontinued. FML....

I've searched all the retailers I can think of looking for a new one but nobody (that I've found anyway) has any left. Can anyone suggest some other places I might be able to find one, either new or second hand? I never buy second hand PC gear so I have no idea where to look, what are good, reliable sites etc....

Please help, I only just got my other card 6 months ago and I really don't want to have to buy 2 new cards.

Would it not be easier to just buy any old GTX570 for SLI? Does it have to be the MSI factory overclocked version, as you can usually achieve the same or better results yourself...

alternatively

Edited by p0is(+)n

Would it not be easier to just buy any old GTX570 for SLI? Does it have to be the MSI factory overclocked version, as you can usually achieve the same or better results yourself...

Wait, what?! Really?! I was labouring under the knowledge that both cards needed to be the same to run in SLI. You sure I can use any 570?

as long as the cards are the same, eg same chip (gtx570), same amount of memory, same PCB layout (maybe not even relevant) I think it should be fine.

I know that SLI is a lot more fussy than crossfire, so I am not 100% certain, however I believe those are the conditions which need to be the same. So as long as you get 2x 570 you should be fine, brand and clock speed is not really relevant.

Edited by p0is(+)n

as long as the cards are the same, eg same chip (gtx570), same amount of memory, same PCB layout (maybe not even relevant) I think it should be fine.

I know that SLI is a lot more fussy than crossfire, so I am not 100% certain, however I believe those are the conditions which need to be the same. So as long as you get 2x 570 you should be fine, brand and clock speed is not really relevant.

copy pasta from wiki

"In an SLI configuration, cards can be of mixed manufacturers, card model names, BIOS revisions or clock speeds. However, they must be of the same GPU series (e.g. 8600, 8800) and GPU model name (e.g. GT, GTS, GTX).[20] There are rare exceptions for "mixed SLI" configurations on some cards that only have a matching core codename (e.g. G70, G73, G80, etc.), but this is otherwise not possible, and only happens when two matched cards differ only very slightly, an example being a differing amount of video memory, stream processors, or clockspeed. In this case, the slower/lesser card becomes dominant, and the other card matches. Another exception is the GTS 250, which can SLI with the 9800 GTX+, as the GTS 250 GPU is a rebadged 9800 GTX+ GPU."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link...face#Hybrid_SLI

You can use any GTX570 what ever is the faster card etc wil knock its self back to what the slower device is.

Edited by mudg3

The fuck??!! All these years I've thought the cards needed to be identical. Where the hell did I get that from. So there is no problem at all then..... lols :P

The fuck??!! All these years I've thought the cards needed to be identical. Where the hell did I get that from. So there is no problem at all then..... lols :P

And all you had to do was ask us.

Glad someone else came along to verify what i said, and then clarify it further :) With ATI cards you can even use different models, eg. 57xx and 57xx the rest doesn't really matter. I believe its sometimes even possible to use different generations of cards too, in some situations.

I have 2x 5770, one is about twice the size of the other. The smaller one is a POS though and gets about 30 degrees hotter... crappy el' cheapo brand, although it is overclocked by almost 20% compared to about 5% on the other, speaking of... *goes off to update sig*

Edited by p0is(+)n

In the very early days of dual cards you had to have identical cards... and even then it was buggy and didn't work with a bunch of games. Things have come along a ways since then.