Sign in to follow this  
fajw

looking at buying a TV

I want to get a TV and am not sure what one to get. I was told by a guy at JB Hi-Fi essentially that Plasma is better and I was told by a woman at Dick Smith that Sony is better for LCD and Panasonic is better for plasma, so I was going to get a Panasonic plasma TV. Is this good advice? The TV will be used for TV, DVDs, BDs, gaming, and as a computer monitor. I'm not interested in 3D so I figured I could save money by getting a TV without it. I wasn't sure whether to get the 42" screen or the 50" screen. There is a ~$250 difference. People using the TV will typically be ~3 metres from it. At this distance and with good eye sight is there any advantage to going the 50" one over the 42" one? Also on the Panasonic site it mentions 'Moving Picture Resolution 900 lines'. What does this mean? Shouldn't there be 1080 lines, being a full HD screen?

Recommendations?

Thanks.

I want to get a TV and am not sure what one to get. I was told by a guy at JB Hi-Fi essentially that Plasma is better and I was told by a woman at Dick Smith that Sony is better for LCD and Panasonic is better for plasma, so I was going to get a Panasonic plasma TV. Is this good advice? The TV will be used for TV, DVDs, BDs, gaming, and as a computer monitor. I'm not interested in 3D so I figured I could save money by getting a TV without it. I wasn't sure whether to get the 42" screen or the 50" screen. There is a ~$250 difference. People using the TV will typically be ~3 metres from it. At this distance and with good eye sight is there any advantage to going the 50" one over the 42" one? Also on the Panasonic site it mentions 'Moving Picture Resolution 900 lines'. What does this mean? Shouldn't there be 1080 lines, being a full HD screen?

Recommendations?

Thanks.

I'm looking at this DSE 32"

Edit: Cause i'm poor...

As for the going for 50 over the 42...

E-Peen

Edited by Xen

after looking around for a tv myself these are the ones i would consider

SAMSUNG 40" Full High Definition Edge LED UA40D5000 $848

SAMSUNG 116cm (46") Full High Definition LED LCD TV UA46C5000 $1299

SAMSUNG 55" Full High Definition LED/LCD UA55D6000 $1995

ended up getting a 2d version of that 55" (no longer made) which suits our large room rather well but if your room is small and you sit rather close i think i would stick with ~46"

with power save on medium it only uses ~50w of power which is fairly important to us considering how much its left turned on

plasma are cheaper up front but will use a lot more power which adds up rather quick if you use it much

some prefer the look of the plasma vs lcd but imo there really isnt much in it once you adjust the screen

you can take a look at the tv yourself and see which looks best to you but this isnt real easy as you need to grab the remote and play with the settings for a while as the best looking one at store settings may not be the best looking calibrated screen or maybe you cant even spot the difference between the expensive one and a cheap one

Welcome to the nuthouse, it's crazy trying to get straight answers on TV equipment.

One thing to remember is that most of the manufacturers have several models at any given size and the claimed "best for" might apply to their top of the line model, the order may be reduced when you go down the lists, and at the end of the day price is a big issue.

eg, People will say that Panasonic VT30 is the best plasma around, and that it beats the Samsung D8000 Plasma - That's not always a clear decision, but it appears to be where the balance of opinions lie - whether the results are different enough to overcome choices such as styling and brand preference (perceived reliability) is where it all gets muddy.

But where does Panasonic ST30 sit? Most people would definitely put it below the D8000.

I'm still confused - I thought I'd basically settled on the VT30, until talking to someone today (who's opinion I respect) and they were suggesting a top end Sharp Aquos or Samsung D8000 LED as the leading panel.

Personally I'd ignore the power consumption difference until everything else has been considered - quality, functionality (if you care about smart tv features), styling, reliability, input options etc,

If you want to know what the TV will cost to run, look at the energy rating - it'll tell you how many kWh the TV will use each year when used for 10 hours per day. If you use it that much, then simply multiply the number by your tarrif (something around $0.17to $0.25 per kWh). If you use the TV less than 10 hours per day, the scale accordingly.

Power consumption might mean a difference of $20-80 per year depending on the specific models etc - trivial compared to the price differences between sets IMO - Although it might add up over a 10 year life - it's not something that most people will seriously factor in, when deciding their budget today.

for the amount we use the difference between a 55" plasma and a 55" led lcd was more like $200 per year at 28c per kw of power

Edited by Dasa

A 200W difference in power consumption running for 10 hours a day would account for that sort of running cost difference - with the exception of a few special cases or commercial installs - I'd suggest that any household with the TV running 10 hours/day every day of the year has more problems than the electricity bill.

A new Panasonic 55" 3D Plasma uses about 165W in normal mode according to their website

A Modern plasma is better than an old LCD/LED, but A Modern LED is better than a modern plasma

Not denying that there is a technology difference in power consumption, just that for apples and apples, it's not that significant

4-6 people live here they come and go all day usually not turning it off when they leave and usually fall asleep in front of the tv then have to get up to do more work with broken sleep during the night

ah the wonders of running your own farm :)

obviously not a typical usage pattern for most people but for us it would be running well over 10 hours a day on average

and if the carbon tax comes in we can probably expect our power costs to double so that would be ~2k per quarter for the house\workshop and ~7k per quarter for the dairy

the other thing that can add up if you run aircon is the heat dump of multiple appliances

its interesting to see that plasma tv power use has almost halved in the last few years though

We and my friends use Kogan tv's and love them. My 42" is almost 4 years old now and not one problem, plus the picture is fantastic.

42" Full HD LED* TV with PVR & SRS Audio $639.00

46" Full HD LED* TV with PVR & SRS Audio (100Hz Full HD Panel) $769.00 On special for about 4 more hours.

Or if you are into 3D,

46" Full HD 3D LED* TV with PVR & SRS Audio - 3D Series $969.00

55" Full HD 3D LED* TV with PVR & SRS Audio - 3D Series $1,579.00

Getting really confused now with what to do.

After hearing about the good big LED screens, I called past Myer to check some out, and while there, I saw the 65VT30 Plasma setup nicely and playing Avatar, and fell in love.

Then went home and finished setting up my new Oppo bluray player on my 42" SD, and to be honest, SD has never looked so sweet! It's incredible even though only a 852x480 display.

But I want bigger and I think a shopping trip is still required.

I have the SAMSUNG 40" Full High Definition Edge LED UA40D5000 $848 that Dasa is looking at.

I hate the look of plasmas, so I knew I wanted an LED. For BluRays, DVD's, avi's and games it looks amazing. I haven't watched TV on it yet. I was also really impressed with the sound that came out of it, as most plasmas, LCD & LED's I've used have crappy speakers.

It's an excellent TV for the price and I would definitely recommend Samsung to others.

If you're not a bargain-er in person I suggest you use Skimp.

Basically they do the bargaining for you, for a small fee. Find the cheapest price you can on the internet and they'll get a local business (usually one of the large chains) to beat it.

i just bought a 55 inch 3d led (lg) from harvey norman this is what made me do it power.

our old 42 inch plasma used 610 kwh per year a new 60 inch plasma $1510 680 kwh per year our new lg $1900 387 kwh per year.

my wife and 2 kids leave the tv on all day and my power bills were creeping up to $400 per quater even with solar (normally $200 give or take).

i love my new tv, so crisp and clear but 3d gives me a headache so i dont use it.

just go into a few stores and see what looks good.

To the OP

I was in need of a new TV for Sport, DVD, Bluray, PS3 and PC. I was originally looking at 42 inch Pana Plasma in the G or S series. I went an d saw a friend who showed me the 50 inch V series and what a difference in picture quality. Picture quality is everything to me so skimping on this is no good to me as I wouldn't want to live with a crappy TV. I have the http://www.cnet.com.au/panasonic-viera-th-...a-339299890.htm which I find is brilliant, they talk about it not being black enough but it is, its just the picture shudder I hate the most which this TV doesn't do. Bluray is spectacular on this TV and so is the PC. DVD played on a Bluray player with HDMI is also fantastic.

When looking at TVs go to as many different places to see what they are playing and compare picture quality (mainly the shudder of the image when panning across a scenery shot). If its jumping it will shit you as I cant stand it.

Hope this helps.