hulkster

Subscriptions, forums and you.

and eats twisties and his computer

I assure you, I'll never insinuate that a geek eats his (or her) computer in my writing. Guaranteed!

:P

you've never tried salt and vinegar microchips? almost certainly better than barbeque.

in a PCB sandwich, mmm yum yum!

here is my go at feedback.

1) Do you or did you at one stage subscribe to Atomic and if so, why?

Never subscribed, cause it required the use of a credit card, and i just don't like the basic idea of subscriptions. What happens if i don't like the content of the mag when i receive it? i still get billed for it, there is no way to preview the content like you can when you walk into the newsagent, have a quick flip thru, if its seems good, buy it, if it doesn't, i don't, its that simple.

2) If you don't subscribe anymore or never have,why not?

see above

3) What would it take to get you to subscribe again?

N/A

4) Roughly how long have you been visiting the forums?

Since the start, but i was a long time lurker until 2.0 days (different account), but even then i didn't really post much.

5) How many hours a week would you spend on here?

way too many, 15+

6) How does that compare to 2 years ago?

about the same

7) Do you see yourself still here in 2 years time?

I prefer not to try and predict too far hard into the future as a general rule of life, but id say the odds are that ill be still here, whether ill be active or just lurking again i don't know yet.

8) On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the highest) rate your Atomic experience.

id say a solid 8, its 10x better then ALOT of other forums out there, but the "atomic experience" has been slowly declining for a while now, but that's my opinion. if elvenwhore does another atomic taro again it might increase alittle :P

9) If you could change one thing about the mag or forums, what would it be?

More content, less fluff. When i say less fluff more content, im referring to the way articles are written, have a look at how the articles where written in the first 50 mags compared to 51 to 100, then 100 to whatever number your up to now, see if you notice anything, im noticing that word counts are increasing slightly, but there is less and less info, more fluff, if you need to fill a paragraph with 200+ descriptive words to get your 1 tiny point across... then im going to see less and less value in each mag, i use to spend 2 or 3 hours reading each mag making sure i read and absorbed 99% of it, now i pick up the mag and can skim read it in 15mins and know/understand the entire thing, aka no longer a enthusiasts mag, now a casual gamers mag sums it up nicely... (either that or im getting extremely good at skim reading and comprehension as i get older, and more cynical).

10) And finally, who is/was your favorite writer for the Mag?

Id say dan rutter (i think that's his name), that man was always funny and a good read, 1 article in particular stands to mind, the one he did on if a alien where to give you a choice between a self-annihilating AAA battery and one full of electrons.

also my 2cents on the programming forum issue:

Im not really into programming, the only "programming" i do is dissembling programs (re:games) and removing obnoxious DRM (FU TAGES/SECUREROM) that ive bought real copies of, or occasionally debugging and fixing memory leaks in older games that have hissy fits running on win7 64bit (im looking at you far cry 2....) but those are topics that are highly frowned upon because heaven forbid the game publisher might sue atomic for whatever reason. AKA all the possible interesting topics aren't allowed to be talked about, software programing by nature is boring (well it is for me).

This whole time-to-read mag thing is interesting. I know that the magazines I read, that are of comparable length to Atomic, get done in about an hour or so. Wired, when I do pick it up, takes longer, but that's a much thicker read. I also don't read every article of any mag that I read, but that may just be me.

Also, the whole 'declining Atomic experience' - is that a community thing, do you think?

my version of the feedback questions:

No,not yet but would really like to. Have brought all 2011 issues so far and depending on the prize of the subs and price (i want another $50 sub option :D) i will subscribe at the end of the year. i would like more options on how to subscribe, if there was a way to just put money + form in a envelope and get subbed that way it would be cool.

i didnt really need to a si got each issue (a bit late) at my local libation when i went there but now i just buy it each month. will subscribe when something good comes up.

it get me to subscribe i would like a t-shirt and a few of those cool atomic stickers (maybe a 10 year pack for each person who subs?)

or something really worth winning...

since April 10 2010 (shortly after the atomic power to the PC event in brisbane)

anywhere from 1 to 6 hours on and off.

dont know about the forums as i wasn't a member.

mostly likely yes,unless something pops up and i dont have time.

On my time so far i would a 9.8 (would of said 10 but it hasnt been all cosy,just like IRL)

More hardcore stuff (like sub zero tutorials or volt-modding or something.

also maybe a bit more real-life events related to the mag. (as i really enjoyed the one i when to last year)

as i haven't read the mag for that long i would say David (like his writing style and editorial) and i really enjoy ashtons columns. (did he ever end up picking out a monitor for his system?)

overall in my short time here i have made some great friends and also i really enjoy the some-what (there needs to more of it) community spirit which is presence in the forum vibe.

i hopefully will remain here for long enough to see the next 10 years and beyond!

knowing how young i am you mostly likely will see my life fold out here!

Edited by jdog

This whole time-to-read mag thing is interesting. I know that the magazines I read, that are of comparable length to Atomic, get done in about an hour or so. Wired, when I do pick it up, takes longer, but that's a much thicker read. I also don't read every article of any mag that I read, but that may just be me.

Also, the whole 'declining Atomic experience' - is that a community thing, do you think?

Yeah the whole time-to-read thing is hard to explain, I use to sit down with a atomic mag and spend a few hours reading it cover to cover (but not in that order, it was more like check the contents page, read the most interesting bits first, then go thru and read everything i missed), and for the price i was paying it was really good value for me, Now, i can walk into the newsagent, spend about 5-10mins reading pretty much the entire mag, which means the incentive to buy it is greatly diminished, if that makes any sense? o.O

My answer to 'declining Atomic experience', In my opinion I think so. Well more 98% community, 2% mag (the 2% being the direction the magazine has shifted from maximum computing to gaming, if it ever gets closer to one of those console gaming focused mags ill stop buying altogether).

That makes 100 per cent sense :)

And don't worry on the console front. I think consoles are a valid *part* of a remit (and have been from issue 1), but I don't want to go any more gaming than we are now, and I certainly don't want to lose our PC focus.

No,

i don't like being tied down - i only ever by it if there’s something really interesting - or just put star trek stuff on the front i'll buy it.

N/A

A long time since maybe about 2004/2005

Too many, there's always a page open when i'm at work.

Roughly about the same.

Yeah possibly in the same capacity i.e. same amount of time lurking/posting/etc.

about 7ish - used to be about 9

Forums - If i could change one thing about the forums it's make it less restrictive. There was a time when there was a little bit more freedom about the forums where you could post just about anything, now you can't even say shit in the title. Just my thought - buggered if i know that it'll change anything.

Mag - There not enough modding stuff - if i remember right (god i hope i remember right) there used to be competitions for the modders out there and prizes given out to them - honestly i was really surprised to see the 40K case on the forums front page (awesome work by the way). Surprised because it’s not a heavily promoted anymore – I would love to see that again.

I'll be truthful about this. It's the articles that attract my attention i don't believe i've ever got the name of any writer.

Mag - There not enough modding stuff - if i remember right (god i hope i remember right) there used to be competitions for the modders out there and prizes given out to them - honestly i was really surprised to see the 40K case on the forums front page (awesome work by the way). Surprised because it’s not a heavily promoted anymore – I would love to see that again.

I'd love to do that again, myself, but the reason we let it go was that we'd just end up with two empty pages each month that we had to scrabble to fill. We simply weren't getting enough responses to make it worthwhile :)

I'd love to do that again, myself, but the reason we let it go was that we'd just end up with two empty pages each month that we had to scrabble to fill. We simply weren't getting enough responses to make it worthwhile :)

Hotbox was great, but it did start to die out quality wise towards the end so that's understandable.

What about modding guides or reviews on some of the more performance hardware (fans/heatsinks...etc) or is this going to just be another "Internet gets there first" issue?

No, that stuff is definitely on the cards once we get some staff in :)

Sounds like things are looking rosy :)

No, that stuff is definitely on the cards once we get some staff in :)

How much are you paying?

Ohh and what do i have to do?

Did you see the link I posted a few pages back?

Yeah but that was for a job in which someone just "writes" stuff.

I was thinking more along the lines of a real job :)

Edit: i think i should probably run now...

Edited by Xen

...and gets to hang with a great team, frack around with unreleased hardware, influence the tech industry's bleeding edge, ask questions no one else in the room understands, have a stake in the direction of the title and get sent cool things like giant chainswords.

Oh, and Computex. Oh Computex.

I'd say it's akin to being on the back of a Red Bull-fueled fun-pony strapped to a rocket coaster welded to a punch-drunk hellhound being thrown by an enraged Chuck Norris, but obviously this would be an entirely subjective statement.

In summary: start running, boy.

...and gets to hang with a great team, frack around with unreleased hardware, influence the tech industry's bleeding edge, ask questions no one else in the room understands, have a stake in the direction of the title and get sent cool things like giant chainswords.

Oh, and Computex. Oh Computex.

I'd say it's akin to being on the back of a Red Bull-fueled fun-pony strapped to a rocket coaster welded to a punch-drunk hellhound being thrown by an enraged Chuck Norris, but obviously this would be an entirely subjective statement.

In summary: start running, boy.

Nah it was just for trolling dave, it would be great to work there but i don't have the awesome talents that the atomic writers / editors have so it's a no go :(.

As for the chainsword, i hope i win the damn thing... i even promise i won't do this

Also as the the OP topic, i grabbed the latest mag last night to have a look though.

It's actually good, the amount of content to advertising is now at a pleasing level,

the content actually had some things i wanted to read.

In short it looks like you have another subscriber again.

It's also worth remembering that this role is across both Atomic and PC&TA, so it's about a real total love and understanding of hardware, from overclocking video cards to the latest tablets and smartphones.

I just had a quick look at the job ad. out of curiosity, what's the approximate salary for a position like that, in Sydney?

For sure it would be a sweet-arse job. I even has me some experience with Australian gaming websites. (not that I'm thinking of applying)

It would be based on experience, so kind of hard to give a ball-park figure for. The way that usually works is X person applies, we look at what they bring, and make an offer.

Did you see the link I posted a few pages back?

When you are at that point in life where you are almost one with the machines, then you might be ready. When you can put your hand on a disk array and know which one in a pack of 15 has a failed platter without peaking, then you might be ready. When you can pop open a terminal window and instantly "feel" that the kernel running on the box has a problem, or the iowait state is just not what it should be, without running any diagnostic commands, you're getting close.

When you can feel the very core of what it is to touch technology that the rest of the world has only every dreamt of and share the passion through the written word, you're on your way to the promised-tech-lands. Yours is then the world, and nothing on this mortal coil can stop you...

z

Edited by zebra

It's also worth remembering that this role is across both Atomic and PC&TA, so it's about a real total love and understanding of hardware, from being 1337 and automatically being considered awesome and a highly probable candidate for carnal relations by every chick/milf/gilf/supermodel you meet, to scanners.

*fixed* :)

I subbed once, then lapsed. Still buy them over the counter here and there though.

Last year for Christmas I worked out that I was getting a mag sub, and assumed it was atomic; I think my wife was more disappointed than I was when she saw the look on my face when opening the Nat Geo sub card.*

Eventually I explain that I would have preferred an atomic sub, (as subtly as possible, but I still got in shit for it).

Anyway, so my bday is coming up at the end of this month, and we were pulling in to the shops, go to the post office + newsagents, and wife lines up for post office; I say I'll wonder off to go buy atomic; and she hesitates. Lol, I know what's up straight away, and tell her that the next issue will be out before my birthday. ;)

*I actually really like the Nat Geo sub now, parents used to get it when I was a kid, but I never realised how great it was until now; I will renew it.

Edited by Periander

*I actually really like the Nat Geo sub now, parents used to get it when I was a kid, but I never realised how great it was until now; I will renew it.

You know the internet has boobies on it, right? :p

You know the internet has boobies on it, right? :p

Ha! Funnily enough, haven't seen one since the sub started; maybe my wife gave them an ultimatum before subscribing on my behalf?

Great photography though, and insightful stories about topics I hadn't really even considered, or didn't think I'd be interested in; but am after reading them. It worries me a bit that advertising and fluff encroaches a bit more on it than I remember, but it's still great.

Oh and Nat Geo isn't bad either. :P