Sign in to follow this  
NathanJC

Looking for sheets of clear acryllic or perspex

Hi all,

I am currently looking for sheets of acryllic or perspex for a case-modding project I am planning however, I have never bought the stuff, so I'm not sure where to look!

Can somebody please tell me a good place to buy these products either in a store or online. I Live in Traralgon, VIC, so anybody who buys theirs locally, please let me know!

Also wanting to know what sort of prices I am looking at too.

Thanks in advance!

Mm last time I bought any perspex it was from a building centre type place.

Acrylic? From memory I got some polycarbonate from a hobby shop but the stuff I got would be too thin for case windows as it was for stretch moulding a cockpit hood for a model aircraft.

Could be worth trying one of the places that does vacuum moulded signs like.

Or search the yellow pages for plastics or perspex.

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/

I got the sheet that I used for my case window at a local independent hardware store. Id I were you I would start by going to some hardware places, then maybe onto framing and art supply shops. At the very least they may be able to point you in the right direction.

O'brien glass?

He sells chips and crack !

if cost is no object ...just go to bunnings

A good option, if in Sydney, is to try Reverse Garbage in Marrickville. They always have perspex of varying sizes and thicknesses, dirt cheap.

I got a 1200x900x3 sheet of clear perspex from Bunnings for about $45 like a year ago, if you were closer I'd say you could just have the half I never used but QLD to VIC posting something that fragile... I wouldn't try it.

I got a 1200x900x3 sheet of clear perspex from Bunnings for about $45 like a year ago, if you were closer I'd say you could just have the half I never used but QLD to VIC posting something that fragile... I wouldn't try it.

Hrmm? Checked my local Bunnings store last week for some and couldn't find any. Where do they usually keep it? OR Maybe I should ask a storeperson next time I'm there...

if you do find a good deal locally, let us know where you get it, and then post some pics of what your up to! :)

if you do find a good deal locally, let us know where you get it, and then post some pics of what your up to! :)

Will do! Like I said, I'm in the planning stages of my project. I'm planning a Star Wars: The Old Republic case mod for the upcoming release of the game on Dec 20, but that's for another post...

I'm also in the planning stages of a new build, already decided on a few modifications to the case (including a window of some shape) and was planning to order from the site I linked above, as $10 for a 30x30cm pre-cut piece seemed well priced, plus they have lots of other things I might also want.

I've requested a quote on shipping to AUS so will let u know what they come back to me with, may be pretty reasonable.

You will of course be posting pics of the build?

I haven't seen a case window mod for so long im actually excited at the prospect :)

Nice find AD. Will have to try and remember this thread when Im in a position to start ordering bits.

I also got a responce from MNPC tech and for a 12"x12" sheet plus a few other small bits would be about $20ish shipping so not a bad option.

Looks like there are also a few local options too though, which I usually prefer.

Nice find AD. Will have to try and remember this thread when Im in a position to start ordering bits.

I also got a responce from MNPC tech and for a 12"x12" sheet plus a few other small bits would be about $20ish shipping so not a bad option.

Looks like there are also a few local options too though, which I usually prefer.

Not bad at all! What case you modding?

I REALLY have to get around to posting some pics of my case with the sides on for my mod log, give you some inspiration as to what sorta stuff you can do ;)

Yea get some pics up dude and then maybe I will comment :P

I'm probably going to get an Arc Midi as looks the part, I like the simple design, and looks to have room for a 480 rad on top. Also want to cut a window into it, as the side of the case is pretty plain. Maybe a custom shape, but most likely just a rounded square to show off whats inside.

Probably, eventually, a few other mods too.

Edited by p0is(+)n

I'm probably going to get an Arc Midi as looks the part, I like the simple design, and looks to have room for a 480 rad on top. Also want to cut a window into it, as the side of the case is pretty plain. Maybe a custom shape, but most likely just a rounded square to show off whats inside.

Man, if you get a 4 x 120mm rad in that case, it will be even more cramped than my P180 with its 2 x 120mm I put into it. If you can get it to fit though, it will look SIIIICK

I did a custom shape in mine, specifically, the Hitman logo. Not that easy with my case, but on a case like that which I presume would only have thin side panels, it would be heaps heasy to do a custom shape if you wanted to. Looks a lot cooler with a custom shape as well instead of a boring old square-ish hole :P

Probably, eventually, a few other mods too.

interesting idea a 4x120 rad would have to hang out the back a bit nothing wrong with that though

unless you mean a 3x140 rad

ether way it may need to be a slim rad or you will have no room for even a slim optical drive and may hang down an annoying amount over the mb

Edited by Dasa

Man, if you get a 4 x 120mm rad in that case, it will be even more cramped than my P180 with its 2 x 120mm I put into it. If you can get it to fit though, it will look SIIIICK

I did a custom shape in mine, specifically, the Hitman logo. Not that easy with my case, but on a case like that which I presume would only have thin side panels, it would be heaps heasy to do a custom shape if you wanted to. Looks a lot cooler with a custom shape as well instead of a boring old square-ish hole :P

Haha, I was actually planning on having it external (along the top of the case) and feeding inside with 2 pre-cut holes at the rear top which the case provides. Looking specifically at the BlackIce GTX480 for this.

All just ideas at the moment as I won't be purchasing for a few weeks, but its probably going to be what I end up doing.

Edited by p0is(+)n