edmund.tse

Westmere-EP is a better buy than Gulftown?

I've chosen three processors below for comparison:

• Intel Core i7 980X Gulftown
  • Intel Xeon W3680 Westmere-EP
  • Intel Core i7 980 Gulftown

All three have the same stock speeds (3.33GHz Turbo 3.6GHz), and 12MB cache. In fact, they don't have many differences at all, spec-wise. I'm seeing on StaticICE some W3680's priced at around the same as the 980, which makes it a better buy because it has a faster QPI bus.

So here's what it comes down to: is the Westmere-EP processor multiplier unlocked? Because if it is, I would definitely get the W3680 over the 980X...

Also, if someone can give a better indication of the market prices of each of the three processors that'd be nice too.

depending on what you are going to use this for 2500k $200 is probably a much better buy and it overclocks to a higher level much easier

but if thats not good enough for you maybe wait a month or two if you can as those old chips will soon be replaced

My limited google fu tells me the Xeon W3680 is multi unlocked, and its the better chip of the 3 if you must have 6cores.

however in saying that, for that price, im going to agree with dasa, you would be better off with a SB 2500/2600k + new mobo combo or waiting for the new SB-E 2011 cpus/boards.

I think if Intel actually advertises their W3680 as multi unlocked, the demand for the 980X/990X would drop significantly.

I just love seeing the 12 threads in task manager :)