peteed1985

SWTOR RELEASE DATE

Hi Shopi, and thanks to you, too! I'm beginning to become ultra-impatient for this to be installed on my computer.

-edit

Oops, forgot to add, I love these 'how I left WoW' stories. Like veterans sharing their stories in good company :-D

Edited by Bodie_CI5

I'm having a good time in this game so far! Playing a Sith Inquisitor, currently at level 13. Having the companion makes it really easy to solo if you haven't got any friends that also play.

Made a Sith Inquisitor on Karth, its level 50 at the moment. Trying out a few things, its pretty challenge, and some of the FlashPoints (instances) are a bit buggy but other than that is challenging, unique and fun.

PvP wise, as a healer its not too bad, but I REALLY dislike at the moment the cheezy Tracer Missile and Grav Shell Spam. The real problem in PvP is that when you have a load of those player doing those spam its hard to do anything. So basically it becomes who presses the buttons or who disrupts first wins lol. Other than that everything is actually balanced and I'm having a blast (except the cheezy issue).

I dont mind the stealth dpsing hard on me, I expected that. But the range dps that matches the stealth melee dps is just wrong imo, should be like two-third damage but that is my opinion. And yea I got a BH using the Tracer missle level 30. All I gotta say is LOL in PvP....

Edited by Zhaker

I'm also playing this. Sat I had a nice long sessions, reaching level 20. I can't really comment on PvP as I've not played any, but from the POV of someone who rarely plays MMOs I must say the PVE aspect has me sucked right in. Bioware certainly know how to tell a story and with the added Instances and Flashpoints, it's made a whole lot more interesting.

I won't comment but this video was posted on MMORPG.com

If you are thinking of buying - it's a must see.

Well after 2 days of full on play I`m level 21. I absoltely love this game, it sort of feels how dungeons and dragons back when that was 1st released, 2 people instances etc... One aspect thats missing from the PVE side is a dedicated LFG, i know theres the tick the box, but i personally like a dedicated instance lfg. Surprisingly im actually enjoying PVP, best ones is the plant / defuse the bomb, closely followed by huttball. I wish they`d reduce the lvl req for speeder bikes to lvl 15-20, everything is so fucking far apart, spacebattles while liner are fun as hell. bioware definetly know how to release a complete package. Lat wise sits betwee 350 - 450 ms, quite bearable. Theyve also put a nice twist on crafting, for those playing not sure if your aware, you craft green item x, u can then reverse engineer it and has a chance for you to learn a new schematic. Once u get blue item x, start all over reverse engineerin the blue ones and you`ll get purple item x.

Lat wise sits betwee 350 - 450 ms, quite bearable.

That's pretty bad actually. I get 180ms most of the time, 220ms tops.

Lat wise sits betwee 350 - 450 ms, quite bearable.

That's pretty bad actually. I get 180ms most of the time, 220ms tops.

On Karth is roughly the same, I think the bigger the population the bigger the lag, or that your playing on the East Coast Servers.

I`m playing on Anturi Reach - I`d rather lower ping but using a mates internet connection, hopfully I`ll get better lat once nets back on at my house. (wow was the same high 300`s, joys of living in a rural / outback area no adsl2).

Im on The Swiftsure or Wound in the force . West Coast servers . Ping is 180-230

'The Swiftsure' is what most of us are on.

ill be joining you all shortly (Friday according to amazon tracking lol - left LA yesterday apparently)

My key showed up today. Bought from intkeys in the last week of december. Sent them an email last week for a status update got no feed back so last night sent another email yesterday with threat of asking for refund and buying from else where. Key showed up in email this morning, will be rolling on swiftsure as a BH.

EDIT:

And my registration code is invalid apparently >_<

Edited by PointZeroOne

Just letting everyone know u can buy digital keys through itraveller, I bought 2 over the weekend for mates to join me in squashing the empire. No hassles 10 minute turn around. They call u to confirm details so forth and bang keys delivered at 69.00 it's not to 'unreasonable'.

Also for some awesomeness check out 'cello wars parody'

Edited by Shopi

The game is also available at EB Games as the (import version)

My chars Ker'Draka lvl 27 Mercenary Bounty hunter on Infinity Gate.

How are the Ques on the swiftsure? i was going to play there but didnt want to wait in rediculous ques.

Okay - I have some interesting news - and maybe I know why there is no Australian Release date?

See here and follow the links

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thre...res-Thread.html

The interesting bit is this

During development and testing of The Old Republic, our priorities were to ensure the game looked great and performed well. In testing, we discovered that using our 'maximum resolution' textures on in-game characters during normal gameplay could cause severe performance issues, even on powerful PCs. There were a variety of possible options to help improve performance, but one that was explored and ultimately implemented used what is known as a 'texture atlas'.

To understand that I've got to get technical for a minute. When a character in the game is 'seen' by another character - ie, gets close to your field of view - the client has to 'draw' that character for you to see. As the character is 'drawn' for you there are a number of what are known as 'draw calls' where the client pulls information from the repository it has on your hard disk, including textures, and then renders the character. Every draw call that is made is a demand on your PC, so keeping that number of draw calls low per character is important. With our 'maximum resolution' textures a large number of draw calls are made per character, but that wasn't practical for normal gameplay, especially when a large number of characters were in one place; the number of draw calls made on your client would multiply very quickly. The solution was to 'texture atlas' - essentially to put a number of smaller textures together into one larger texture. This reduces the number of draw calls dramatically and allows the client to render characters quicker, which improves performance dramatically.

When it comes to cinematic scenes, however, characters are rendered using the higher number of draw calls and maximum resolution textures. This is because in those scenes, we have control over exactly how many characters are rendered and can ensure that the game performs well. The transition between 'atlas textured' characters (out of cinematics) and 'maximum resolution' textures (in cinematics) is mostly hidden by the transition between those two states (when the screen goes black), but obviously it's clear if you pay close attention.

In summary; yes, we had a small UI bug that unfortunately caused confusion over how the game is intended to work. The textures you're seeing in the course of normal gameplay are optimized for that mode of play. The textures you're seeing during cinematics are also optimized for that mode of play. They are higher resolution, but that's because we're able to control cinematic scenes to ensure good performance in a way we can't during normal gameplay.

We understand the passion and desire for people to see the same textures you see in our cinematic scenes in the main game. Because of the performance issues that would cause for the client, that's not an immediate and easy fix; we need to ensure we're making choices that the majority of our players will be able to benefit from. Having 'atlassed textures' helps performance overall, and that's a very important goal for us.

With that said, we've heard your feedback here loud and clear. The development team is exploring options to improve the fidelity of the game, particularly for those of you with high-spec PCs. It will be a significant piece of development work and it won't be an overnight change, but we're listening and we're committed to reacting to your feedback.

Stephen Reid | Senior Online Community Manager

For the tl;dr crowd what that means is this:

Because Bioware cannot 'control' the number of players on screen at any time (there are too many) they set the in game graphics to low resolution and this cannot be changed.

In the cinematics the characters are in High Rez because Bioware can control those cut scenes.

So, if you are wondering why your game doesn't look quite as good as the one in the 'official screenshots' - now you know.

It doesn't matter if you do have the latest gaming rig with a GTX 560 Ti: TMI - it wont help you.

This might also explain why the release is delayed in Australia... because here if you advertise a product it must match the description on the box and in the adverts.

So... if there is a screenshot on the box and the consumer has a rig that meets or exceeds the specs on the box then you should be able to get the same resolution as those shots.

It appears that may not be possible?

Same with me Zhaker, I was very sad as they release it early in December because don't have enough money to get one...

This might also explain why the release is delayed in Australia... because here if you advertise a product it must match the description on the box and in the adverts.

So... if there is a screenshot on the box and the consumer has a rig that meets or exceeds the specs on the box then you should be able to get the same resolution as those shots.

Posted Image

level 11 imperial agent atm (after 2 nights 'casual' - bf3 interruptions lol) play, enjoying it. its nice to get a companion too something to help out a little.

I'm not looking for the new patch to be honest tonight. My concern is the Level 50 Warzone, which isnt "really" needed as the "real" problem is the expertise gear that others have picked up and started destroying 10-50's anyway.

When I mean 50's here I meant the newly minted 50's without any PvP gear. So when someone hits level 50, their Warzone experience is going to be "painful", unless he gets in a premade full of expertise gear, where he would be a anchor to their team (rather than an asset).

The new content is cool, but yea, I thinking the 50 Warzone was never necessary, and that haters are always going to nit pick on every single detail without recognizing the consequences. If this is to push people to go to PVP @ Ilum, forget it. People don't like to get ass raped by zerging at Ilum, unless the make a limit number of players for World PvP areas.

The other "real" problem with PvP is the mixture between premades and pugs, if they separated the two, this wouldn't be a problem, its harder to organize a strat in a pug than a premade. That said people would "complain" not able to play with their mates, but I think if you separate the two, it would be alot more enjoyable.

EDIT: Looks like its delayed one week, but yea not looking forward to it. And all the unnecessary whinging by the non 50's is redundant, and when they hit 50 they'll complain again in going omg i got 2 shotted!!!! someone call the interwebs!!!!!

Edited by Zhaker

Posted Image

Why would I not be serious?

The game is in Low Rez - that is a fact. From Bioware.

The cut scenes are in High Rez because in those cases Bioware can control the number of characters on screen. Also fact. Also from Bioware.

It was possible to play the game in High Rez in the beta - also fact.

The vast majority of screenshots you will find promoting the game from prior to release are in High Rez.

... if it is advertised as X it has to be delivered as X in Australia.

So, it could be as simple as changing box art? Or putting a disclaimer on the box?

But I am betting that when the Australian release happens they are very clear that the graphical quality of the game (actual game play sections) is not High Rez

But that sort of thing would cause hold ups because it would have to go to art department, legal department, printing, promotions...

The funny part of the story is that it showed which reviewers based their reviews on beta and which actually played the retail release.

http://games.on.net/article/14580/Review_S...he_Old_Republic

Outside of the bugs, I have to say I’m a bit disappointed on the graphics. Considering the hefty client install, which I’m aware is largely content based, everything feels a little low res. <- well done for getting it right :-)

Compared to

http://www.ausgamers.com/games/star-wars-t...epublic/review/

... With the graphics settings cranked to full the game is arguably the best looking MMO to date. ...

...Easily the most graphically impressive MMO to date, with some truly stunning environments. <- Oh dear! someone just reviewed a beta...NOT the retail version.