Sign in to follow this  
jdm_com_au

Automatically logged in on every visit

No other forum I'm registered at does this. I'm automatically logged in as soon as I view the forums. I click "Log Out" before I leave and I get the little "Log In" option. I can't see any option in my Control Panel to stop this happening. I don't recall this happening before I started using Telstra a couple of months ago, but can't guarentee it wasn't happening previously. I'm hoping somebody has a helpfull or humerous suggestion.

[EDIT] Just noticed this on the forums index:

Welcome back; your last visit was: Jan 30 2011, 07:29 PM

I highly doubt that is the case, but I thought that snippet could help in a diagnosis.

Edited by jdm_com_au

How is getting logged out a bad thing?

Cos I'm constantly having to log in to post.

My question, I have no idea why I asked it.

So far the forums haven't logged me in by themselves. I'll log out and see what happens. One other thing that was happening sometimes was the forums wasn't letting me log out, no matter how many times I hit the Log Out button.

It was a bit like Hotel California, very annoying. If I cleared either my browser cookies or the board cookies, the problem persisted. So I logged out, cleared the board cookies, dis-connected from the internet and then cleared my browser cookies. So far, all is good. I never did and still don't have this problem at any other forum I'm registered at. Just annoying.

Heh, I had this "problem" until today but I liked it.

For some reason I now have to keep logging in each visit even without "log out" or a brief net excursion elsewhere.

Edited by Elfarch

I accept some people may find it convenient, but I prefer software I use to do as I tell it, not do as it pleases.

Having said that, I do use Microsoft software.

So the forums decided to log me in by themselves again today. Does this mean I will have to delete my cookies from my browser and the control panel after I log in each time to prevent this? If all other forums I'm registered at did this it wouldn't be so bad, as I'd have to get in the habit of doing that. Next thing you know, somebody will tell me I have to brush my teeth more than once a week!

OK, the board has decided to do this again. Has been for a couple of weeks now. The odd thing that happened today was the board told me I was logged in and let me enter trademart. It ws only when I hit "Add Reply" that I got another message saying that I either hadn't logged in or I didn't have 128 posts. It was then I realised that the board had been lying to me, I really wasn't looged in after all.

WTF?

Just a dumb question, but it's exactly the kind of stupid thing that people miss... I don't suppose you have the "remember me" checkbox ticked at the login screen?

Another option is to press F12 in your browser and manually delete the cookie associated with the request. If using FF you'll need to install FireBug. Eg in chrome:

Posted Image

I don't get that option at login. Besides, Firefox deletes all my cookies and doesn't remember history.

Then how is it logging you in?

Have you told Firefox to remember username/password?

No, FF isn't allowed to remember anything except Bookmarks. As with all forums I'm registered at, I hit "Log Out" as I leave. Only this place decides to log me in as it sees fit.