lance volcanix

Wattage calculations and Monitor/sound card choosing...

Heres the Dealio:

I have a bunch of Parts, about to be listed, and I need to find an affordable powersupply that will meet the wattage need of the system requirements:

G.Skill GS-F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (? Watts)

Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (95 Watts)

Seagate ST31000524AS (? Watts)

XFX HD-687A-ZNFC (roughly 500 (?) watts)

On a totally related note

Should i get a sounds card, or a monitor with speakers

keeping in mind that i have turtle beach 7.1 surround sound headphones... That are made for PS3, but I can use for my Comp.

Should I just go with Inbuilt Sound in the motherboard, or spend a little more for a sound card (around $100)

Thanks for any help.

Power supply calculators can be quite inaccurate, as the amount of power required is usually overstated to allow for maximum possible use under load, and then some. The only way to really tell is to hook a computer up to a meter that reads the power being used. Lots of people have done this online, if you want to research each of the parts, however I think that your system would easily be powered by a decent 500-600w psu.

If I was to recommend something, probably this at the moment:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=18460

Also most motherboards have pretty good onboard sound so you probably won't need a soundcard. I would say see how you find the onboard, and if you have any complaints with it, then possibly look at a sound card. Most people only usually get them for audio recording, rather than just for normal use.

As for a monitor with speakers, I wouldn't recommend that either. Just use your headphones, or buy some $20 logitechs for your desk, which would sound better too.

This seems to be a pretty good rough guide for PSU sizing.

Dont bother with a monitor with speakers, they're generally shitty speakers that wont come close to reproducing a full range of sounds. Nowadays the onboard sound is pretty good, it takes a pretty good ear to notice any differences between that and a dedicated sound card. To make the most of your 7.1 headphones you'll want to use an optical out, which most onboards have.