aliali

Battlefield3 first thoughts.

Ok I think we need a new thread for BF3 thoughts, impressions and general rants as the beta is now out.

First up I haven't played as yet just been looking through things.

Minuses.

To start with once your account is created apparently you can't change your soldier name so you are stuck with whatever you choose. Choose carefully.

Major minus IMO as one of the things I liked about BF2 was the ability to create a "fresh" soldier to start from scratch again, if you wanted.

Tags - only four characters max for clan tags. FFS don't these people look at how many characters most clan tags have?

Pluses

Will have to play a game before I can comment.

Not sure on the whole Platoon thing as it appears you have to invite people to the Platoon outside the game. Bit dumb if this is the case, the squad system in BF2 worked brilliantly IMO.

Brickbat and Bouquet away peeps.

I've heard that ultra still isn't really ultra, and there are a few screen shots about the place that seem to back this up (it's pretty underwhelming to look at thus far, though Metro seems to be a pretty bland map anyway). Tesselation is in once once of the settings is set to high or ultra, despite initial impressions saying it wasn't enabled.

Overall PC performance seems to be great, nowhere near the destroy-everything-that-isn't-a-580sli-system behemoth it was touted as (though see comment above).

No, I haven't played it, just been keeping up with all the beta chat across the 'net :)

My first thought is 'god I hope I can run this on DX11 without getting a WSOD, unlike BC2."

Time will tell.

Not commenting on anything else until I play it tomorrow!!

Overall PC performance seems to be great, nowhere near the destroy-everything-that-isn't-a-580sli-system behemoth it was touted as (though see comment above).

I think that was the problem with BC2, you needed a pretty quick system to be able to play it even on low, probably something they have been criticised quite a bit for so im guessing have worked hard to improve frostbite 2 to run a lot better on most systems, when the free open beta comes out I might give it a try on our spare athlon II system and see how it runs. Edited by nesquick

OK, been playing for a couple of hours.

Graphics and sound are up to scratch as one would expect, well, mostly, the graphics seem a bit glitchy with enemies disappearing and appearing, getting stuck in objects etc which I presume is just a Beta thing. The game itself needs an instruction guide as some of the keys don't seem to do anything (i.e. the 'Q' is bound to 'spot' enemies as in BF2, but it doesn't work?). The implementation is rather clumsy, you have to log in to Origin or Battlelog (in your browser) which will then open whichever one you didn't start from (if that makes sense). If you hit the 'multiplayer' tab you get a list of servers as opposed to just hitting 'play now', the only 2 beta servers are RUSH and CTF games so console players will feel at home but PC players not so much, so I'm looking forward to the normal conquest maps in the final version. The game also seems very 'fast' (or maybe I'm just getting old?). Seem to get killed a lot from a long LONG way away? ATM the battlelog doesn't show your ping to the server so it's a bit hard to pick the right one. Feels more TF2 than BF?

Deployment options took a while to figure out, seems you can deploy on any squad or mobile spawn, the options are listed in the respawn section after you die. The med kits don't seem to do anything?

Has an annoying habit of crashing to desktop randomly, it's still there in the background and on the taskbar but you need to ctrl-alt-del and close BF3 to get anywhere.

So so far the pros (for me): Nice sound and graphics.

Cons: Cumbersome to get the game launched, should be able to launch independent of browser and origin. My second beta key didn't arrive and EA want to charge $2.50 a minute to speak to someone about it. When you log into an underpopulated map you can't move, you are stuck on the spot until enough players spawn in to start the game, so no exploring for you. (That's what single player is for I guess) The dumbest thing is not allowing options while dead, having to hide somewhere just to change some settings and then if you get killed halfway through it disappears is just stupid.

Will add more as I play for longer.

I did get to stab a guy in the tunnel so that was fun!

Edited by Director

rush is for console players? lol I only played rush on BC2, conquest is so god dam boring its like domination on COD the tards that play conquest never realise you don't have to control every point to win just 2/3 or 3/4 and as such make the mode equivelant to a dog chasing its tail....

I like it so far, but having another map would be good. Also as said before, the graphics dont seem up to scratch but that is expected for a beta. My Gamertag is: NormalAxis

feel free to add me :)

OK, been playing for a couple of hours.

Graphics and sound are up to scratch as one would expect, well, mostly, the graphics seem a bit glitchy with enemies disappearing and appearing, getting stuck in objects etc which I presume is just a Beta thing. The game itself needs an instruction guide as some of the keys don't seem to do anything (i.e. the 'Q' is bound to 'spot' enemies as in BF2, but it doesn't work?). The implementation is rather clumsy, you have to log in to Origin or Battlelog (in your browser) which will then open whichever one you didn't start from (if that makes sense). If you hit the 'multiplayer' tab you get a list of servers as opposed to just hitting 'play now', the only 2 beta servers are RUSH and CTF games so console players will feel at home but PC players not so much, so I'm looking forward to the normal conquest maps in the final version. The game also seems very 'fast' (or maybe I'm just getting old?). Seem to get killed a lot from a long LONG way away? ATM the battlelog doesn't show your ping to the server so it's a bit hard to pick the right one. Feels more TF2 than BF?

Deployment options took a while to figure out, seems you can deploy on any squad or mobile spawn, the options are listed in the respawn section after you die. The med kits don't seem to do anything?

Has an annoying habit of crashing to desktop randomly, it's still there in the background and on the taskbar but you need to ctrl-alt-del and close BF3 to get anywhere.

So so far the pros (for me): Nice sound and graphics.

Cons: Cumbersome to get the game launched, should be able to launch independent of browser and origin. My second beta key didn't arrive and EA want to charge $2.50 a minute to speak to someone about it.

Will add more as I play for longer.

i do agree with the aggravating way to start the game but it does feel like battlefield nowhere near the gameplay of TF2. the medkits does do something you just have to stand on it for a while like BC2. the game has only crashed once on me but i think that might have been the server booting me cause i wasn't playing i was trying to change a few option and it took me ages. I don't know if you have seen the problem that you can't change the mouse bindings only the keyboard. i found this annoying cause i like the MMB for knifing.

at the end of the day thought it still awesome fun and remember it is only the beta. :D

rush is for console players? lol I only played rush on BC2, conquest is so god dam boring its like domination on COD the tards that play conquest never realise you don't have to control every point to win just 2/3 or 3/4 and as such make the mode equivelant to a dog chasing its tail....

Rush is boring. Conquest is hardcore

like a BAWSSSS. yeah playing rush really is quite boring hope they bring in conquest. it is in the filter so maybe they will in the next week

In only got it late last night so I can have a play this afternoon.

I hate with a passion the way you need to start it via a browser.

I know this is the Beta so I am assuming that will go away with the full release.

When looking at servers to play on I couldn't see and AU servers has this changed over night ?

I know this is the Beta so I am assuming that will go away with the full release.

Apparently not.

When looking at servers to play on I couldn't see and AU servers has this changed over night ?

Yeah. If you filter by region (Pacific) then you'll see more Aussie servers.

just got to keep lookin mate. i was playing last night and there were games.on.net and GameArena servers as well as some ON3Network servers from New Zealand and the all run great

well have fun running in circles :P

I've set my server filter to show servers starting with AU was having trouble finding servers otherwise.

One thing I don't like is that the beta is using a map that makes the game feel like COD. I want my vehicles damnit!

playing rush is just running in a straight line. whats your point lol

playing rush is just running in a straight line. whats your point lol

the point is you keep opening up new parts of the map so its only boring if you have a team of recons which can also happen on conquest.

anyway...

what are the guns like? how many bullets to kill people ect?

Wanna know what the most annoying thing in the world is? Only receiving a key when you get IN to work...

what are the guns like? how many bullets to kill people ect?

I haven't been counting, but I think 3 pistol rounds takes someone down.

Wanna know what the most annoying thing in the world is? Only receiving a key when you get IN to work...

Isn't playing...I mean reviewing games part of the job?

Edited by PointZeroOne

Wanna know whats worse then that, having to wait till tomorrow 10pm to play.

I got mine at 8pm on the dot last night. We would have thought they would have hooked you boys up with some keys.

We need to get a origin friends list going similar to steam as you need to import your friends form the origin client into bf3 the web based client is interesting and will take some getting used too but at least its faster then Bc2's shitty browser and bf2's SLOOOOOOW browser. Im leaving work in about 15 mins so will be home in 1 hour playing.

Whos up for teaming up tonight? I hear on the grape vine that new maps will also be unlocked tonight too.

Isn't playing...I mean reviewing games part of the job?

Not when tomorrow is send day for the issue 130! Normally I'd be all like "I am OUTTA HERE!"... but not today :) Which means I'll likely not be playing before tomorrow, so it's just really dumb timing.

I got mine at 8pm on the dot last night. We would have thought they would have hooked you boys up with some keys.

We need to get a origin friends list going similar to steam as you need to import your friends form the origin client into bf3 the web based client is interesting and will take some getting used too but at least its faster then Bc2's shitty browser and bf2's SLOOOOOOW browser. Im leaving work in about 15 mins so will be home in 1 hour playing.

Whos up for teaming up tonight? I hear on the grape vine that new maps will also be unlocked tonight too.

Me! Origin name is Acintai, everyone should start joining the Atomic platoon aswell, its called Atomic Defence Corps.