aliali

Battlefield3 first thoughts.

How long does it take roughly to launch the game from the browser?

game will launch and sit minimized on the taskbar....

How informative.

I just timed it from when I clicked join server, to when I got into the server ready to play.

32 seconds.

A box pops up in the bottom left of your browser and says things like; joining server, logging in, loading map, etc. while the game client sits in your taskbar.

You can either;

A) Wait for the box in the browser to do its thing, and when it's ready it will give you a button to click to go to the game. Then the client will pop up and you leftalt+enter to fullscreen.

B) Once you've clicked join server, wait for the client to appear in the taskbar then click it and leftalt+enter to fullscreen and sit and watch the loading screen 'til it's done.

Either way is pretty painless, and the server system in Battlelog works fine. Unlike most server browsers in online games which're generally severely broken on release.

The only downside is that we're all stuck playing Rush. Yawn.

How long does it take roughly to launch the game from the browser?

game will launch and sit minimized on the taskbar....

How informative.

very much so....I really have been replying poorly lately to some posts (damn head cold)

i tried downloading it yesterday but it froze and then started it today and it was too slow..ill try again tomorrow and hopefully it will finish this! damm GA!

got orgin installed through..

And just got in... WOW. Freakin'... wow. Using a 7.1 headset and the sound is the best I've ever heard in a game.

The server browser system is problematic to set up, but it's getting me into games, and I'm running it maxed out on my new 990X and 6990 rig. So. Pretty.

pics?, pretty please? :D

i want to see this monster!

:P

Edited by jdog

Ok so should be available for everyone to download within a few hours, as its still not yet and the 29th is almost over in this part of the world.

rush is for console players? lol I only played rush on BC2, conquest is so god dam boring its like domination on COD the tards that play conquest never realise you don't have to control every point to win just 2/3 or 3/4 and as such make the mode equivelant to a dog chasing its tail....

Well, the first implementation of rush mode was in a console only battlefield title, so you tell me...

yes and BC2 is the same game as BC1....

What?

Looks like open beta is available for those who don't have any kind of early access.

I just signed up for an origin account (what a piece of shit, took about 10 mins of trying to get to the free games page, must be getting hammered) and now im downloading the game.

I will feel like an idiot if I could have done this last night...

You don't actually need to use the origin client, just download the game from somewhere else. Once you unpack that, double click the exe, this will then launch origin, log you into origin and then load battlelog.

Initial impressions:

Fuck Origin. If BF3 doesn't find it's way to Steam, I'm not bothering.

That is all.

Edited by elfinke

It's a brand new system, I don't know why everyone's having such a cry about it. Obviously it's going to be shit, the same way that Steam was. It is a hassle that they're forcing us to use it, but it will make sense for them in the long run.

It's a brand new system, I don't know why everyone's having such a cry about it. Obviously it's going to be shit, the same way that Steam was. It is a hassle that they're forcing us to use it, but it will make sense for them in the long run.

I don't agree that just because something is new, it is going to be shit, or that it should be tolerated. Steam had some initial issues, but it was the first of its kind. EA had a perfect model to copy from this time around.

After managing to get my download stated it seems to be ok, but doesn't look like I was the only one who had problems with it.

I haven't done much with the client itself so far, but it hasn't fucked me around in any way. I'm downloading a zip file of it that someone linked me on facebook. It's now going to take about 13 hours, so if the actual Origin download is faster, it would be worth cancelling this download and going to that.

Im getting 400kb/s in Origin, which is the max my ADSL does. So could be much faster.

Already at 50% since posting before that I just began the download.

Edited by p0is(+)n

just had a quick look before bed

ground textures dont look to shabby

shadows were acceptable

but the lighting just seemed really nasty and grainy looked like shit

net code is a lot better than dead island thats for sure :)

for those that dont know dead island was using over 200m an hour with 3 players

bf3 looked to be using ~10KIB/s

It's ok...

My 5770 is running it smooth, either Crossfire doesn't work yet, or it's been disabled for this game..

Initial impressions are it's ok, prone is wonderful, and the movement is smooth, surprisingly so, considering it's so pretty, gun play is pretty good, not great, I didn't lose my block over it...

it is an open Beta so the ground work is done and it does play nicely, it does feel alot like BC2 otherwise, a little too much for my liking, i've only played Rush, and those maps are pretty ho-hum... Again I'm not impressed by the maps, lacklustre comes to mind.

I'm reserving judgement when I get to play a proper game, Rush TBH isn't what I bought Battlefield for..

Overall, there's still some tweaking to be done, but so far I ain't disappointed I bought it. TBH, I like the way they pretty much released it as a Beta first to weed out the bugs before it hits the shelves, i thnk most shooters should go this route, especially with the plethora of potential issues that modern games can throw at you.

Edited by Chuck Norris(good actor

I only had a quick go tonight....wow.....I'm just so happy to finally be playing it :P

Looking forward to being able to bind my mouse buttons (it seems you can only do keyboard at the moment).

Also looking forward to playing some good ol conquest mode. While I did find rush very refreshing in BC2, I'm a bit over it.

I really don't understand why they would make it so you have to be in a game to change your settings. I'm too paranoid to be poking around for too long in case I get booted from the server or get killed :(

I don't really mind having to launch the game from a browser, but then there wouldn't really be any way to implement the above point. I guess at the end of the day, once I've got my settings how I want them, there's no need to go back there.

Game seems to run ok on my system (E8500, 4GB RAM, GTX560 Ti). I'm getting about 30-60fps depending on where I am on the map. Looks like I could stand to upgrade my CPU though as dropping my settings to Low sees no fps improvement. Gotta start saving for some sandybridge love.

Also found not being able to configure (even while spawning) very annoying. Died plenty of times while trying to get the settings right.

Runs very well on my machine. 30-40 fps solid at highish settings. Will NOT work in fullscreen mode with crossfire enabled however. BOO.

Runs fine in a maximised window though its a little distracting.

With crossfire disabled, runs fine in fullscreen, but performance drops a bit, and am only able to maintain 30+ fps at medium/high settings.

According to FRAPS my average FPS was 32, minimum 28, maximum 41, using the following settings in the outdoor area which is like a park or something. Rig as in signature, but CPU only @ 3.6 not 3.8.

Posted Image

Had a lot of issues trying to get it to join a game, I don't think its very good at calling the BF3.exe from a browser, apparently Opera is not supported and half the time I had to force kill the task and try to join another game again, often taking multiple attempts to get into games.

Other than those issues very impressed at the performance/graphics on this hardware. Animations and effects in game are very cool. Even though I wasn't very good at it, I still had some fun. I have no idea how to type messages still, but figured out most of the other controls. Haven't played a FPS on PC for a while.... I am not used to the slow pace of it all! I did enjoy the last hour or so and will give it a bit more play time tomorrow.... hopefully the crossfire issues are resolved shortly!

Edited by p0is(+)n

I so want to turn motion blur off, but it wont let me! Even though I've set it to 0, there's still blur, and it's fucking annoying.

**P.S.**

Caspian is gorgeous :P Buggy, but damn....can't wait to see what other maps they have in store for us.

Edited by justo316

I have no idea how to type messages still, but figured out most of the other controls.

Ye couldn't see those binds in controls (prob missed them) so started randomly hitting the keyboard tilll I got a chat box. it's K and L for text chat, I think it is K for team and L for all.