Sign in to follow this  
chrisg

Took a while - Cyclone Tracey

:)

Twinny suggested I do this - so - if I can figure out how to insert images - very old pictures, lets see :)

Posted Image

My unit- the day after, I was in there when roof left :)

Posted Image

The car port - lived in it for months, that sadly smashed up Fiat is mine....

Posted Image

The guys - acting for the camera - but we did very little for many months :)

Posted Image

My aircraft :)

There you go, and Middy helped, a lot, i can debug a Crray, but uplode images- nope :)

Cheers

Posted Image

Nice mate! My dad was just outside of Darwin when Tracey hit, so he and his mates went back in and worked on the rebuilding, he reckoned it was great, top money, no women (I'd find that comment worrying if he hadn't subsequently met mum and produced me) he reckoned he had a great time, work all day, drink all night...

That was pretty much Darwin anyway Afros :) and no, there were plenty of women :)

Strange time - I'd just survived a few wars, then the damned climate had a go at killing me. :)

When I finally found a phone that worked I called home to let them know I was ok my dad answered and very calmly said " a little weather is not going to kill one of my kids." Dad had a lot of faith in us, but that was one hell of a night :)

Then again, as I've said before, he worked bomb disposal and I flew double-sonic jets - I guess we define the functional insane family :)

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

Thats pretty cool man. I love going through my mums old pictures. She was on grude island when that all came through.

We want more!!!

Looks awesome, god some people must have shat themselves when that roof came off :)

I just moved Xen - have freakishly fast reflexes, provably saved my life - whatever - long time ago :)

Cheers

I just moved Xen - have freakishly fast reflexes, provably saved my life - whatever - long time ago :)

Cheers

Like a ninja :)

Edited by Xen

Probably a bit more like a panther Xen - a lot of people have told me I'm half cat - for various reasons ;)

I think there are a few more pics of the time to be had - will round them up :)

Cheers

I read in the Bill Bryson book 'Down Under' about a room in the museum up in Darwin where you sit, in pitch black, and they play a recording made by a priest of the cyclone as it goes over, does anybody know anything more about this? I would imagine it would be quite scary!

Oh, it was scary all right, not been back to see that, but heard of it, I suppose I've been in worse weather, just happens I was flying at the time, at ground level it was, yeah, scary :)

More pics soon :)

Cheers

Afros - yep, that's part of the museum up here. Most people who have been through cyclone Tracy can't go in there because it's so traumatic for them. Having been through the room a few times, I can only begin to imagine what Tracy was like (have been through a few cyclones up here - the biggest was Cat 3, as compared to Tracy's "official" Cat 4, most likely higher - but only damage was massive destruction of trees and foliage).

It's always bemused me, and I was there, is it "Tracy" or "Tracey"? - you see I married a woman with the latter spelling a few years later :)

I don't know if it was traumatic or not - like I said, was just out of a few wars, I do have a vivid recollection of a piece of galvanised iron damned near decapitating me, ducked that one - bit easier than ducking bullets :)

If that was a 4 maran I'd hate to be in anything higher :)

The thing I recall the most vividly, and I don't have pictures, was telegraph poles bent down by the wind so hard they were embedded in the roads.

But I do have a book on it somewhere here - will see what I can scan.

Crazy bloody storm is all I can say, we'd had I think four that year, that passed us by, that one went through Darwin like a precision bombing raid....

Cheers

It's Tracy. I live in Darwin.

Cyclone season is coming up soon. Looking forward to the rain and constant power blackouts.

Edited by Jeruselem

Thanks Jerusalem, it always confused me because of the later marriage, and a few T shirts around at the time :)

Enjoy the wet - if that is possible :)

Cheers

Thanks Jerusalem, it always confused me because of the later marriage, and a few T shirts around at the time :)

Enjoy the wet - if that is possible :)

Cheers

Yes, I enjoy 10 foot high grass ... :D

OK, not that high but the grass does love the rain.

Never took much notice of grass in Darwin - my place certainly had none and all of the place behind the car port photo was paving and pool :)

I just googled Cyclone Tracy - never realised how big a storm - globally, it was, take a look if you are interested - what a monster :)

I was lucky to survive I suppose, and do not believe the death figures - they were far higher.

Cheers

The thing I recall the most vividly, and I don't have pictures, was telegraph poles bent down by the wind so hard they were embedded in the roads.

Cheers

Posted Image

Extremely interesting Nuke, those poles were bizarre, literally buried in the tarmac - but most of Darwin was a little odd that week....

The things I did that week...

Odd life - trouble finds me - I deal with it :)

Cheers

Edited by chrisg