Force

new pc build, unsure of psu

i have been looking to build a new pc for a while now and have decided on all the parts that i need for this new set up, except of course the PSU. silly me decided to procrastinate in buying the parts earlier on in the year and now 2 things have happened. our dollar is taking a nose dive and now the parts are all up about $50-75 more expensive then they were last month, and the universal bracket for my TRUE 120 to be used on socket 1155 is no longer for sale on pc case gear, and as far as i can see no where else in australia. so i have 2 questions. what is a well suited PSU to the system i want to buy and does anybody know of a place where i can purchase this bracket cause ill be damned if im running my new baby on stock cooling. i am looking to overclock the cpu to the all hailed 5ghz, and im not interested in SLI now or any time in the future really. so with that in mind here are the parts:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB

VIDEO: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Overclocked V2

CASE: Fractal Design XL Full Tower Titanium Case

PSU: ??

had looked at buying a CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 800W but im thinking that it might be overkill for what im after. also the website im looking to buy from (computer alliance) doesnt seem to have this psu anymore and id like to buy everything from the 1 place to save on postage.

i have a 1TB and a 2TB hard drive and an OCZ vertex 2 SSD that i will be putting in the system, probably be chucking another 2tb drive in sometime in the future so not looking at running a million hard drives either.

will be aiming to purchase the computer this week before our dollar gets any worse :P

The Silent Pro Gold 800W is a good power supply according to the reviews I've read. I was considering it for a long time, but ended up with an Enermax Modu87+ 700W instead.

Mainly because the SP Gold is not as efficient as many other Gold-rated PSUs. It's the exact same PSU barring minor differences to the Corsair HX 850, which is only Silver-rated.

Basically go for any Silver or Gold-rated PSU at least 500W, so you're getting the best quality available.

You could try for this OCZ 800W Gold PSU

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=13052

There's only one at that price, so try and grab it! Cheapest Gold PSU on there at anywhere near that wattage

well i managed to edit and delete the whole post i typed whoops. i bought the ocz 850 from pccg thanks very much 194 express posted :)

Edited by Force

thanks for all the replies guys. i ended up going with the ocz 850w z series, which has already arrived. shame the rest of the computer hasn't haha. now my only dilemma is trying to track down thermalrights Socket 1156 Bolt-Thru-Kit for my TRUE 120. im starting to lose hope ive emailed thermalright once last week and once today about it, no reply yet but ill wait a few more days. what a pain in the ass just for a bracket :(

thought id update people on the power supply i bought. i wouldn't recommend ocz z series psu's they seem to have a pretty high tendency to have coil whine especially the higher 1250w models. it is a very nice psu being modular and gold rated and nice looking but my 850 unfortunately has this coil whine too. whenever a game is really cranking my video card i hear a pretty high pitched wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee noise. it can mostly be alleviated by forcing vsync and locking everything to 60fps and wearing headphones, but you can still hear it buzzing away just not as highly pitched. loading up the witcher 2 menu i had fraps running and noticed it was hitting 2000fps and the psu was screaaaaaaaming! this is exactly what it sounds like. thought about rma but read that people had spent heaps of money on postage only to get a psu sent back to them with the same problem. it has 5 year warranty though so i have that long to decide if i cant put up with it any longer haha.

you sure the noise is coming from the psu? both mb and gpu can also make the noise

ive had the corsair hx620 and hx750 and they are both excellent, although as above you do pay a little more for them.

This is normal for GPUs pumping out thousands of FPS. I made a thread about when mine did it. We both have 570s, so it must just be really common with this card. Enable global Vsynch in the Nvidia control and the problem goes away forever.

My PSU was also making a lot of noises though, especially when 'grabbing and scrolling' in browsers. Doesn't seem to do it anymore which is nice.

yeah its definately the psu i listened everywhere and since my case has a seperate compartment for psu it was easier to pinpoint. even with vsync enabled i get clicking noises that sound like a cricket lives in my case. its just nowhere near as bad as an unlocked framerate which sounds like a plague of angry crickets live in there.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB

VIDEO: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Overclocked V2

CASE: Fractal Design XL Full Tower Titanium Case

PSU: ??

For these specs I'd go for Silverstone Strider Plus ST75F-P 750W $145.

I assume this rig is primarily for gaming... you don't need 16gb of ram, 8 gb will do.

well it wont fit 16GB anyway new cooler only allows 12GB to fit :P so im selling the other 4GB to a friend for his new build. i wouldn't have bought so much if it wasn't cheap as chips. ahh that's the PSU with the capacitors on the PCIE cables a friend was telling me about. i read as much as i could find on the internet and the general consensus is that apparently they do SFA. too late now though but ill definitely tell my friend about it since he is building a similar rig and thinks he can get away with using his old computers home brand 500w PSU haha.