Hi all. Now it is my understanding that adsl 2 speeds vary quite abit depending on quality of line, distance from exchange etc. But what is everybody on adsl2 getting from their accounts? I recently moved town and am quite appaled by the speeds i'm now getting. In my old town (which is a tiny almost rural country town) i was getting download speeds of up to 19000kb/sec. Now i'm down to averaging 800kb/sec on a good day it will spike to 1.1mb/sec.

Its a far cry from the 1.9mb/sec i was getting. And I have been arguing alot latley with my provider as my speed is aveaging 6-7mbit connection rate and they say that its the normal speed for adsl2, which I find bull crap lol, that speed isnt even in the realm of adsl 2 lol.

So what is everbody else averaging? I would like to know how fast and where you live so that I can start a petition to take to my provider and prove them wrong if I can lol

Hi all. Now it is my understanding that adsl 2 speeds vary quite abit depending on quality of line, distance from exchange etc. But what is everybody on adsl2 getting from their accounts? I recently moved town and am quite appaled by the speeds i'm now getting. In my old town (which is a tiny almost rural country town) i was getting download speeds of up to 19000kb/sec. Now i'm down to averaging 800kb/sec on a good day it will spike to 1.1mb/sec.

Its a far cry from the 1.9mb/sec i was getting. And I have been arguing alot latley with my provider as my speed is aveaging 6-7mbit connection rate and they say that its the normal speed for adsl2, which I find bull crap lol, that speed isnt even in the realm of adsl 2 lol.

So what is everbody else averaging? I would like to know how fast and where you live so that I can start a petition to take to my provider and prove them wrong if I can lol

I wish i was getting those speeds, i'm hitting around 6meg as per speed test results.

i think you will find that adsl2+ ranges from 3-4mbit all the way to 22-24mbit.

At my old place I used to get 20+ easily, at my current place I get approx 4mbit.

It all depends on the route the cable takes from the exchange, how far away the exchange is and quality of cable used both in the street and in your house.

You probably live 3+ km from your exchange now, if your getting speeds like 4-6mbit. Correct me if your living next door.. but unless you are... don't expect full speed.

We're lucky to get 350kb/sec (barely over ADSL1 speeds), but we live at the outside limit of our exchange, or roughly 4.5kms from the exchange.

Line quality has less to do with speed and more to do with dropouts, from my experience. Every time it rains Helstra has to fix our exhange box again (we get dropouts and line noise but no noticeable speed decrease). Your modem will also affect dropouts. Since upgrading to a Draytek 2820VN from a Billion 7404 has also reduced dropouts significantly, but made no impact upon our speeds.

When moving, if internet speed is important to you, you need to check the exchanges in that particular area to ensure that you'll get decent speeds. In a rural town everyone is basically on top of the exchange, not so in the city.

For us, 350kb/sec is adequate as streaming video works fine and we have several machines using the internet at once without any noticeable hesitation or speed decrease. The only real difference is that uncle torrents is quite a bit slower, but we use that rarely anyway.

To each their own. :-)

I usually hover around 1.3/MBS to 1.6 depending on the line. With most providers we are seeing a downfall in line speed due to Telstra putting more people on RIMS. Where i live i am on a borderline. With a New Suburb called Lightsview we see most people who live their either on a RIM or FTTH.

What really grabs my attention is ISP's still selling ADSL+2 packages when in most areas these speeds cannot be achieved. Most users hover on the ADSL2 speeds.

less whinging please lol, im lucky to get 700kbps down on a good day, mostly i average 630kbps. that's adsl2+ also, i live 3+klm from the exchange. however my old 8mb plan was pulling an average of 900kbps on telstra hardware. my dsl2+ is optus hardware, major difference in performance. but count yourself lucky, id be bummed if i was getting 1.9mbps and dropped to 800-1.1 like you are but compared to a few people around here youre doing well.

I think I'm ~1.5 km from the exchange and my modem (Billion BiPAC 7404VNOX) syncs at 1758800 up, 11664400 down. A better modem will give me better speeds.

Edited by fajw

At work, we had ADSL1 ... and got pretty crap speeds. Upgraded to ADSL2+, and get under ADSL1 theoretical speeds.

4 to 7 Mbps. at about 5km from exchange, in the blue mountains NSW.

Telstra big pond on 3 year old telstra supplied modem.

Ah the joys of ADSL, pay the same no matter the actual speed.

Mine

Upstream 864

Downstream 3072

SNR Margin(Upstream) 7.0

SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.6

Line Attenuation(Upstream) 31.0

Line Attenuation(Downstream) 59.0

max download speed generally sits around 280kbp/s

that's adsl2+ also, i live 3+klm from the exchange. however my old 8mb plan was pulling an average of 900kbps on telstra hardware.

See if your modem has the option to lock it to G.DMT mode only (8Mbit ADSL), probably under WAN > ADSL Mode or similar.

This will force the modem to negotiate the downstream to ADSL 8Mbit but leave your up speed at the ADSL 2+ speed (at least that is what my Billion 7800N seems to do.

By locking the modem to ADSL 8Mbit you can actually get better sync and less errors (causing retransmits) which actually means you will get slightly faster data down speeds.

This worked well for me on my line with the added benefit of less dropouts. Note this is only really useful if your down sync is under 8Mbit.

Sounds like you got it sweet! Where I am after 6 weeks of screwing about by Telstra, we started on a pair gained line, migrated to a Telstra Rim before finally getting transposed to a line to a real exchange we sync at just over 4mbit and I'm right next to Sydney CBD (Pyrmont).

well sorry for the long delay in my replys. I've been arguing with telstra for the last few weeks, as I have been getting alot of random drop outs etc. They havent fixed them yet but my speed has increased to around the 14mbit lol. so its not to bad now, still not getting what I used to get though, but nothing I can really complain about lol

4 to 7 Mbps. at about 5km from exchange, in the blue mountains NSW.

Telstra big pond on 3 year old telstra supplied modem.

Bastard :)

What suburb? I'm in Mount Riverview and my speed tends to be crap.

This speedtest or actual speed?

~3.2km from exchange (wire length)

Sync between 3.9mbit - 7.6mbit - 6 to 30 dropouts a day.

And your complaining about 8mbit sync...

Your ISP isnt going to do shit if you take them a petition, Get your line tested for errors, thats all you can do.

With that many dropouts I would be doing some testing.

Start with an isolation test. Remove absolutely everything from all phone ports in the house and plug the modem in to the first phone port with a new short phone cord (less than 1 metre) and no filter splitter.

Test. If the problem is gone then you have a bad filter, improperly filtered device or bad phone lead. Replace and test.

If the problem continues you have either a line fault or a bad modem. For the former unplug the modem, plug in a phone, lift the handset dial one digit to kill the dial tone and listen for noise. If you hear any noise report a voice fault. Do not mention ADSL, just report a voice fault.

Voice faults are generally fixed quicker than ADSL faults and often the voice fault fix will also fix the ADSL fault.

If on naked ADSL you can still do the noise test with a phone but you can't report a voice fault obviously, you just have to hassle about an ADSL fault

Also try another known good modem or a new one. Modems can and do die. For a high attenuation/noisy line a broadcom chipset modem is the best bet. Most (all?) of the TP-Link modems are Broadcom. I know the TD-W8960N definitely is. Otherwise the Billion 7700 and 7800 series use the Broadcom chipset.

On ADSL1, I was pulling around 5Mbps. Shifting to ADSL2+ it dropped to somewhere around the mid 4s. I was experiencing drop outs and wasn't sure if it was the billion VoIP router or something else so Internode shifted me to a safe profile which bumped me down to around about 3 - 3.5 Mbps.

I had a sparky friend do some re-route of my cable, essentially bringing in my main line to a single point and then feeding the rest of my lines out of the next. This allowed me to hook up all the phones throughout the house through the VoIP end of the router and there was no need for a filter.

A few weeks ago my speed dropped to 1Mbps, then 1.5, then 800Kbps, then back to 1.4Mbps. Internode sent out a guy who did a few things and fixed the problem but throughout that testing, I noticed that some of the phone points weren't on the VoIP segments and were still connected to the main line. Getting the shits slightly about this, I ended up doing a DIY cat5 run from the main phone entry point to where the ADSL router is ensuring that it was the only line active. The phone points we were using were still patched in to the VoIP socket and I was also able to isolate and determine the lines which were on the live line. One of those was the alarm system (I am such a goose sometimes) so that is now "centrally line filtered" in the current setup. I also requested Internode take off the safe profile.

So far, no drop outs and a connection which gets my just above 5Mbps.

Edited by The Tick

ive got ADSL 2+ with Iinet. I live in sydney's northern beaches and only get about 600kb's at best. pretty jealous of my friends 4mb/s DL speed. i never really have lag issues or anything while gaming but torrents and Steam rarely if ever get above 1mb/s.

With that many dropouts I would be doing some testing.

Start with an isolation test. Remove absolutely everything from all phone ports in the house and plug the modem in to the first phone port with a new short phone cord (less than 1 metre) and no filter splitter.

Test. If the problem is gone then you have a bad filter, improperly filtered device or bad phone lead. Replace and test.

If the problem continues you have either a line fault or a bad modem. For the former unplug the modem, plug in a phone, lift the handset dial one digit to kill the dial tone and listen for noise. If you hear any noise report a voice fault. Do not mention ADSL, just report a voice fault.

Voice faults are generally fixed quicker than ADSL faults and often the voice fault fix will also fix the ADSL fault.

If on naked ADSL you can still do the noise test with a phone but you can't report a voice fault obviously, you just have to hassle about an ADSL fault

Also try another known good modem or a new one. Modems can and do die. For a high attenuation/noisy line a broadcom chipset modem is the best bet. Most (all?) of the TP-Link modems are Broadcom. I know the TD-W8960N definitely is. Otherwise the Billion 7700 and 7800 series use the Broadcom chipset.

Thanks for the info! especially the stuff about reporting a line noise fault. Never knew about that before. Much appreciated!

I've done all the regular stuff, different filters, isolation of each phone socket, testing multiple phone cables, multiple modems.

Currently using a 7800N really happy with it!

Posted Image

ADSL 2 and I am about 500 meters away from the exchange.

To be fair the quickest i have ever seen it download is with steam at around 2Mb/s

Another person from The Riv!

\waves

Judging by you're speed you're further towards the back of the suburb.

I'm getting 10Mb down nearer the "front" of the suburb (thus closer to the exchange).

Another person from The Riv!

\waves

Judging by you're speed you're further towards the back of the suburb.

I'm getting 10Mb down nearer the "front" of the suburb (thus closer to the exchange).

Serious? wow that's actually a few people now.

Unfortunately i am no longer in the Riv... Blacktown now :(.

Waiting for TPG to hook me up here... having some net withdrawals when i get home from work.

Serious? wow that's actually a few people now.

Unfortunately i am no longer in the Riv... Blacktown now :(.

Waiting for TPG to hook me up here... having some net withdrawals when i get home from work.

Too weird, I work in Blacktown lol

Tried ADSL2+ at work but we're only getting 4Mbps down (we're on the outskirts though), so staying with our wireless solution as we can scale it up further if we pay more. Something you just can't do on ADSL.

Edited by mark84

sorry to drag up an old thread but i thought i'd share my stories lol.Ever since moving to swan hill and relocating my telstra adsl2+ as per my threads above i was getting all sorts of dropouts and my speeds went from 13-14mbits to lucky to acheive 2.5mbits. I cracked the shits as anyone naturally would and started going around telstra with the ombudsmen.

Long story short telstra actually told me they couldn't provide me the speeds they were advertising and to change providers. Which I did only after I got them to reedfund me a few months worth of internet and to cancel my contract :).

So I've now switched providers and what do ya know, my speeds are through the roof again, no dropouts or anything. Still on the same exchange and telstra owned lines, none of them were touched.

Im now getting 18808kbps attainable speeds, usually topping out around the 16-17000 kbps.

Makes me laugh the fact that with telstra I had shit speeds and dropouts all the time, but switching provider has solved all my issues, plus to boot i'm only paying $2 a month more and am getting unlimited downloads, where telstra would only offer me 200gb lol.

I'm loving the new speeds. Best part is i'm less then 100m from the exchange so my speeds are allways over 10mbit :)