Sign in to follow this  
p0is0n

First H20 setup advice

I got another question and Im gonna ask it here since I think its on topic..

I found this article on a switch from full speed to slower speed for fans that looks dead simple. I was wondering if I could do the exact same thing, but have 2 or 3 fans connected to each switch?

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article6-page1.html

Cheers

I see now problem with rigging something like that up. I don't know how safe it is, but I know master_scythe used to do it to all the fans in his case to cut down on noise. Don't know if it would have any lasting side-effects on your PSU though....

EDIT:

Running 7V CAN sometimes be potentially stressful for the PSU for technical reasons I won't go into here. (It is usually quite safe for a low wattage fan or two, but if you want to be perfectly safe, you may want to avoid the 7V tap.)

Edited by G-relk

I've also read a few things about 7V that make me a bit uneasy about it, I think I would be happy to switch between 5v and 12v.. 12 for performance and 5 for silence. Was more curious about the multiple fans on a single switch. I should probably just do some reading on simple electronics.

Was a little worried when I got home today and no note stuck to the door about picking up a parcel, but then just after 5.30pm the delivery guy arrived and I was home to sign for it.

Not a huge order or anything, but enough to keep me busy. Here is a quick snap of a dry assembly, sorry about the poor quality. Nothing is fixed its all just placed there to get a look at the size.. not really much room. I am glad I didn't get the 480 like I was originally thinking!

Posted Image

Will try and get some work done on it tomorrow. Haven't had a lot of free time tonight, as had to install a few new screens in some broken laptops for a friend. Will probably also start a build log as Im pretty much ready to begin that stage.

Cheers

Edited by p0is(+)n

Haha yea mate it is a bit bigger than I thought it would be too, but I am very happy with the size. Fits my case perfectly without hanging over any sides or blocking the front panel (as the USB/Audio points straight up).

I was curious about the fans so I plugged all 6 into my current PC and honestly, I couldn't even hear them (at full/default speed). I had to put my ear right next to 'em and all I could hear was the air rushing through the radiator fins, this might be reduced when I put the shrouds on. Nothing audible from more than a foot away I would say. The power of the airflow was pretty awesome too. I think I a going to be very happy with this. Also they were only $8 each.

Edited by p0is(+)n