Sign in to follow this  
leonhart83

Weird problem. Is it safe.

Hi guys,

I am trying to use an old pc that I no longer use as my HTPC so that my current laptop (m11x) can retire and I can use it as it was first intended A LAPTOP.

Here are the specs.

5600+ AMD

2GB ram

500gb seagate HDD

500gb Wd HDD

240GT nvidia Video

Now when this PC was being used by my wife it was stacked with HDD's and every now and then it has some horrible what sounded like scraping at the time (although I don't think it was). So I thought it was a good idea to backup all the important stuff. In the meantime I removed all of 80 and 120 gb hard drives and just have what is above left. Anyways the computer wasn't used for much so that is when I got the idea.

Anyways I use XBMC to stream off of the other computers in the house (which is what I did previously with the m11x) and when I do that scraping/staticy noise returns. So I thought wow it must have been the boot drive that is causing the issue. So I Norton Clone the first onto the second and tried booting from the second drive. It had the same issue.

I copied a movie locally (it was going crazy whilst doing this). Played the movie locally (NO NOISE). Played the network version (CRAZY NOISE).

So it seems like there is an issue with the NIC on the motherboard. I have never heard of this issue at all, is it at all possible. unfortunately I can't just get a PCI NIC because the only available slot doesn't seem to work.

Questions

1. If I am getting all this noise whilst using the on board NIC, would it be safe to just disable the NIC and use a USB NIC (Ihave one of these)?

2. Has anyone ever come across this?

THanks

Mick.

Is the noise coming from the speakers or from the case? (turn off the speakers to check). If from the case itself I cannot see how it can be anything to do with the Nic, more likely a HDD, or fan.

As you already have a USB network adaptor why not just try it? It won't break anything, just disable the onboard NIC and install the USB ones drivers and test it.

I can't think of anything that would cause a NIC to make noises like that.

IMO you should focus on things that have moving parts HDD / CDD / Fans.

I agree that it doesn't sound like anything that i have heard of.

I will try the USB nic this afternoon (as it was at work) to see whether it alleviates the problem. I honestly think that it must be something wrong with the motherboard as it is integrated. Which is the reason why I am wondering that it is safe to continue to use.

If it was the hard drive it would make noises when locally reading and writing to it. It only happens when I am reading over the network.

Does anyone know of a good place to get a replacement motherboard for a good price. AM2 sockets are fairly old so I wouldn't want to spend heaps on it.

I will try the USB nic this afternoon (as it was at work) to see whether it alleviates the problem. I honestly think that it must be something wrong with the motherboard as it is integrated. Which is the reason why I am wondering that it is safe to continue to use.

If it was the hard drive it would make noises when locally reading and writing to it. It only happens when I am reading over the network.

Does anyone know of a good place to get a replacement motherboard for a good price. AM2 sockets are fairly old so I wouldn't want to spend heaps on it.

Even if the USB NIC works fine, I wouldn't trust the motherboard to last much longer.

If you want to go with a new motherboard, I can probably get a manufacturer refurbished one from my supplier for you if your interested? Just PM me and I'll send you my email address. Hopefully shouldn't be overly expensive, and I should be able to warrant it for you.

So let me get this straight.

You are streaming media off the PC in the OP and when playing media over the network (on another PC im assuming?) a static/scraping sort of noise comes through the speakers alongside the actual movie/show you are watching?

Could it be a form of interference?

Even if the USB NIC works fine, I wouldn't trust the motherboard to last much longer.

If you want to go with a new motherboard, I can probably get a manufacturer refurbished one from my supplier for you if your interested? Just PM me and I'll send you my email address. Hopefully shouldn't be overly expensive, and I should be able to warrant it for you.

I will do some more testing over the weekend and get back to you.

So let me get this straight.

You are streaming media off the PC in the OP and when playing media over the network (on another PC im assuming?) a static/scraping sort of noise comes through the speakers alongside the actual movie/show you are watching?

Could it be a form of interference?

Na mate it isn't coming from through the speakers just form the box. It honestly sounds a lot like the mechanical scrap like from a dead/dying HDD but I have tried 2 different HDD's that do the same thing. And it only happens whilst I am copying across the network, which is most cases is streaming from my server. For example when I was cloning the boot drive to another drive which took roughly 1 hour there was not one single noise, even though it would have been getting smashed with read requests. I can watch a movie locally from the C: with no noise, stream the same movie across the network and scraping appears. Hopefully that makes it a little clearer.

The only thing I can think of that might be possible is that whatever XBMC uses to index the media files on the drives is flogging them when it accesses, and the drives are very fragmented, causing lots of seeks back and forth across the disks. Therefore giving a weird mechanical sound, but not crashing the drives.

Completely gut feeling though, it's hard to know for sure without hearing the sound and/or/feeling the drives as they vibrate. Speaking of which, do they feel abnormal? Overly hot, or particularly agitated?