Sign in to follow this  
vestige

You pieced together my last rig...

Hey dudes,

Well, the Athlon 64 X2 4200+/x1950 pro rig that you guys put together for me in this very forum some years ago is now in desperate need of retirement.

I have a budget of about $1300.00. I want to try and salvage the Antec Truepower 550 watt from my current rig if possible.

I have a handful of pieces in mind but please help fill the gaps. I'm sourcing the parts from Umart.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k - $227.00

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212+ - $35.00

MB: ? (would like something with decent sound - fuck I hate realtek, overclocking and the option of sli/crossfire in the future.)

Ram: ?

Case: Coolermaster Storm Scout - $93.00

GPU: 6970 - ~$360 or GTX 570 phantom or twin frozr - $380

HD: OCZ Vertex 3 60gb - $139.00

Samsung 1tb Spinpoint - $56.00

Fans: Bitfenix Spectre 120mm - 2 x $9.50

So far that's sitting at about $949 without the motherboard or ram.

Suggestions?

Hey dudes,

Well, the Athlon 64 X2 4200+/x1950 pro rig that you guys put together for me in this very forum some years ago is now in desperate need of retirement.

I have a budget of about $1300.00. I want to try and salvage the Antec Truepower 550 watt from my current rig if possible.

I have a handful of pieces in mind but please help fill the gaps. I'm sourcing the parts from Umart.

MB: ? (would like something with decent sound - fuck I hate realtek, overclocking and the option of sli/crossfire in the future.)

Suggestions?

Looks like you got most things good. I would look at a 120gb SSD and a 2tb HDD as 2tb hdd's are around for $69 at the moment

Since your on a tight budget I would look at G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 $65 but really any 2x4gb Kit @1600MHz would be fine they are pretty affordable now.

The ASUS Maximus IV Gene Z is a little beast could give you the OCing and SLI so on you want. got one here with a 2600k on it @ 5GHz - $259.00

Posted Image

The red would also suit the red and black themed case.

Why do you need the two fans? Could the money be saved there and spent on a bit better CPU cooler like the NH-D14 for $95

Every thing else there looks pretty good :)

Edited by yggdrasil

Cheers man.

So you reckon the 550 watt psu will be fine for now?

That mobo looks nice. I probably don't need the extra 2 fans although I epically failed at cooling last time so I'd like to do it right this time around.

The 550w will run it but once you start OCing it might get a little stressed and would look at getting a bit better PSU

Look at my first rig in my sig, My PC runs fine even with the SLI but I only have a small OC on the CPU and no OC on the video cards.

I am pretty sure the Scout comes with all fans besides the side panel intake fans and you may not be able to fit the top one with a bigger heat sink on it, Some times adding that fan makes the cooling on the video card worse, Its not normally recommended unless you have 2 cards and need air forced between the two cards for one to get more air.

So yes I would not worry, If cooling is a issue I would buy a better CPU cooler instead, there is 2 fans pulling the air from the CPU so would be ok.

Also the NH-D14 and Thermalright Silver Arrow both come with a 140mm and 120mm fan so would be good air flow there as well.

what model antec tp 550w is it? dose it have 24pin and 8pin eps plugs?

save $100 and get a 6950 there only a little slower and a lot cheaper

i would stick with the 60g ssd myself as i have found 120g to be way to small and 240g wouldnt be enough either but then not everyone swaps between games as much as me

you can use the 60g ssd as a srt cache

Hey dudes,

Suggestions?

the Gigabyte z86X boards all come with a CREATIVE sound chip on them. It is very very good, and basically akin to one of Creatives mid range soundcards. Full Dolby Thetare rated etc etc. Currently I think they are the best on board sound chips on the market and seriously rival my own dedicated sound card.

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/Antec-550-Watt-Power-Supply-TruePower-TP-550.php

That's the true power. Seems to have the 24pin plug Dasa?

And the 570s can be overclocked to basically 580 levels, can't they? Although, I've just had another look at the benchmarks I have been sussing with regards to the 570: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1085/pg9/gtx-570-vs-radeon-6970-and-6950-vs-radeon-5870-all-overclocked-review-crysis-warhead.html

I definitely see what you mean about the price difference not really being relative to the speed increase.

This is making me wonder if I shouldn't go that Asrock extreme 3 - $138 to cut off a bit of cash on the motherboard and then go for crossfire 6950s.

Edit: Actually wait... there is no way the 550 watt PSU will be sufficient for crossfire 6950s...

Edited by vestige

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/Antec-550-Watt-Power-Supply-TruePower-TP-550.php

That's the true power. Seems to have the 24pin plug Dasa?

that model tp 550 is only 1-2 years old where as the rest of your rig is a fair bit older so you upgraded the psu more recently did you?

that psu you linked should handle two 6950 but i wouldnt oc them on it and you would need to use some pci-e addaptors

+12V1, 12V2, 12V3, 12V4 max. load: 45A(540W)

Yeah, the coolermaster igreen that was in my old build died a while ago and I got the true power off a mate for cheap.

I can handle not overclocking the 6950s, but would I still be able to OC the i5?

So I spose the toss up is single gpu and better mb vs dual gpu and cheaper motherboard.

I've also gotta figure which 6950 to go. All the non reference ones that are coming out are hideous haha

if you only oc the cpu to ~4.3ghz it will use stuff all extra power going higher typically takes a fair bit more vcore though

this mb or the one suggested above are the ones i would probably go for but this one should suit you just fine

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 $144

realtek sound quality has improved but its still not great

creative can sound better but for me there drivers are not worth it (audigy 2 is in a box)

asus have some decent value sound cards that are under $100

for my current build im using hdmi from the gpu to a pioneer home theatre amp that can handle hdmi 5.1 pcm input

For that budget range, I would go with this specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K $218

Mobo: Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 $138

RAM: G.Skill-NT 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1333 $44

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $54

GPU: 1GB AMD Radeon HD6950 $209

Case: Antec 300 $58

ODD: DVD burner $20

CPU HSF: Coolermaster Universal Hyper 212+ $32

Peripherals: [ 23" LG W2343T-PF / Sidewinder X4 / Logitech MX518 / Edifier M1350 2.1 ] (+$242)

Total: $840 ($1,082)

Cheers for the help.

The core of the build is there. Really all I'm doing now is tossing up whether to wait for the HD7000 series of cards or not, but who knows how long that will be, and also just hanging out a little to see how bulldozer works out, although my expectations aren't very high.

Looks like I'll be buying parts this week.

Just wondering though, the more I read, the more it seems like the true power 550 watt will not cut it for crossfire 6950s.

Any recommendations for something affordable that will do the job of an overclocked 2500k and crossfire 6950s?

going by this psu calc http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Minimum PSU Wattage: 443 W

Recommended 493w

yes the psu will work a little harder so it may make a little more fan noise under load and using a psu without 4 pci-e leads isnt ideal but it should still work just fine

psu i would look at if you didnt already have one

FSP Aurum Series 650W Gold $122

Corsair AX650 Gold $185

i ran a overclocked q9450 and 4870x2 which use more power than your rig will of a 510w psu with a 32-36a 12v rail

Edited by Dasa

It would probably be enough, but if you want a high-efficiency power supply on the cheap, maybe try one of these:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=18459

Here's a good review of it:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/FSP...y-Review/1313/1

There's a 650W for about $20 less, too.

EDIT: Hivemind!

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

Cheers for all the help dudes, I ordered just about everything today.

True to form, despite stock levels appearing on the site, Umart emailed me saying that half the build was out of stock. now for the waiting game.

Edited by vestige

So, I pieced this all together over the weekend. Thanks heaps for all the help dudes! And let me say, I have a renewed respect for guys who are awesome at cable management.

I think I did alright for my first crack at building an entire PC from scratch. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

I ended up going with 2 x Sapphire 6950 2gbs. Currently waiting to get my hands on a crossfire bridge as neither card came with one.

I also went with a corsair tx-750 PSU and this is my only area for concern...

It seems to emit a strange whine which I've noticed after the PC is turned off or when it goes to sleep. It's quite a noticeable sound, and it goes away when I switch off the actual PSU itself. When I turn the PSU on again it doesn't seem to happen until I've run the computer again. Is this a cause for concern? Will my computer explode? haha

Also, I've heard people talk about the fan bearing whining but this is definitely a more electrical noise, and occurs when the fan is off.

Any ideas?

my ocz 850 whines but only when playing games. if you have the same problem as me its called coil whine and happens when current passes through the coils and makes them vibrate. when its running cpu benchmarks or idling it stays quiet. does the noise sound anything like this?