Sign in to follow this  
Periander

Peltier Cracked

So I bought a 68W peltier module from Jaycar and set it up on my little test bench, with the module just resting on top of a heatsink that was just sitting on the bench.

It registered 80C on the side that was flipped up so I killed the power and used some pliers to flip it incase it was too hot.

Turned it back on and for some reason the IR thermometer still said ~80C. Killed the power and went away because people arrived, and thought it might've just been the cheap thermometer or some heat seepage.

So anyway went back and tried it again and now noticed that it has a crack in the peltier and when I turn it all on there's nothing registering at all, (PSU is working though).

The main reason I'm looking in to peltier is not necessarily for computers, but for beer; but the principle and parts are largely the same.

Anyone else used them much; are they all this fragile, (I probably cracked it when it was hot and I picked it up with pliers I guess), and anyone got any tips? I've read bits here and there but I'm still a bit in the dark.

Edited by Periander

never used one but you need a fair heatsink on there hot side

Yeah, I dont know a lot about peltiers. I do know however that you need a lot of cooling on them, if for example you have a cpu pumping out 50w of heat and a 50w peltier on it, then you need a cpu fan capable of cooling 100w of heat output.

I guess the extreme heat may have cracked it.

I've played with them a few times. Its gotten to hot and thats why its cracked you need a decent thermal solution to get rid of the heat that it generates anything over 80c on the cheap ones will pretty much kill them.

A guy on OCAU recently have some fun with them.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=979358

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=984804

Thanks for the feedback. $20 down the drain, but it could've been worse. I will mount some heatsinks before turning it on next time, (thought I could just test it quickly, but probably lingered too long).

I will buy some more, learn a bit more, and take some pictures next time.

Edited by Periander

Well, I have a few ideas, many of which are simply copies of things that others have done before, (a little beer cooler etc.). I personally find I learn more when I tinker myself though, hence buying one and just seeing how it went.

My main idea is probably a bit ambitious, but the goal is to try and keep my beer fermenter between a certain temperature range. Now some people do this with a basic heat pad and wet towel plus fan; others have more sophisticated setups where they use a fridge and a heat lamp; I want to go a little step further:

- Get an old non-working fridge, (seals intact).

- A whole stack of peltiers between two large heatsinks plus fans.

- The heatsinks mounted so that one is on the inside of the fridge, on on the outside.

- Temperature sensors that e.g. detect if it's above 27C and turn on the system, or below 21C and turn it on with reverse polarity.

It'll probably be just as expensive as getting a working fridge and heat lamp and rigging that, and be less efficient, and not work as well, but anyway, that's the ambitious plan.

if you get a fridge you dont need much to keep the inside warm

you can just wire up the 12v light for the door to heat the inside although i dont know how the light will affrct the beer

as for cooling, a peltier wont really do much. although you could buy one of those cheap car fridges which probably use peltiers

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah it is a little crazy probably because all of the research I've done of people doing similar has lead them to conclude that a fridge+lamp setup is superior.

Still cool to play with peltiers though; or hot depending on which side you're holding. :P

Edited by Periander