dylan6307

If you had to recommend a case for a complete noob

ok, so I'm planning on building my first pc, and been planning to for a while now, but I'm just looking around still. one of the things that is really quite hard to understand is what case i should use. I dont wanna go and grab a really expensive case as this is probably gonna be a pretty low budget build, but I also want a good quality one and one that has enough space that i dont have to many problems with cable management, fitting everything it etc. as well as the fact that having more space would probably be easier to work with. I have looked at pictures and seen both really clean and really messy builds, and as well as this I've looked inside my dads pc he got made for him, and I really dont want it to be like that, with messy crap and cables everywhere, and heeps of spare ones coming out of the psu with nowhere to go. I kind of just want it to be easy and while not monstrous, roomy enough for any future upgrades, as well as ease of use/installation and general tidiness. any input would be greatly appreciated

Personally I'm a fan of the Coolermaster HAF series cases. I own a HAF-922 and HAF-X.. Great build quality and reasonably priced.. Plenty of room for anything you want to put in them.. Good cable management options.. Good airflow.. tool-less installation - thumb screws for side panels and card slots, quick release hard drive holders etc etc..

I recently bought an Fractal Design Arc Midi and was pretty impressed. I've written a review here if you're interested. Ticks all the boxes for your build.

In the end its going to come down to personal taste, but I'd recommend the Antec DF series and some of the cheaper CM cases like the storm and 690 etc.

Another good case line is the antec series dark fleet line of cases

+1 on that, quite happy with my DF35, however if you don't need a 2.5" sata hotswap bay or hotswap 3.5" hdd bays then the DF10 is a better choice. otherwise have a look at the Antec one hundred, two hundred and three hundred.

If not going to use a long video card like the HD 5870 or 6970 (280mm) then the Coolermaster storm scout is a nice case. The HD 6970 and 5870 won't fit in the Storm Scout, but should fit the others ok.

For me this offering from CoolerMaster wins hands down for looks and price point, and it handles today's large video cards with room to spare.

CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer Black Case With USB3 Internet Price: $97.50

Drongos have removed on of the best features of the Scout. The handles.

Yea I agree that is a shame, but as much as I love my Scout the big gpu's of today don't fit. The space available is exactly the same as the length of the card, so it's a bit of squeeze with the Scout.