p0is0n

People who want to upgrade for BF3

Hey guys,

Seen heaps of threads recently about upgrading/building a new machine for BF3 so I will save some of you the guess work with the following link.

http://www.techspot.com/review/448-battlef...ta-performance/

The performance of the top GPUs is a little worrying, I think, as the game may actually be a lot more demanding than the beta lets on. CPU scaling and performance has been a topic of some recent discussion, and the results obtained were fairly interesting.

Overclocking your Core i7 processor is not going to help deliver more performance in Battlefield 3 according to our test using a single GeForce GTX 580 card. We observed that a 49% increase in clock speed for the Core i7 allowed for a mere 6% increase in frame rates.

Hopefully some people find this useful..

So much for there being no need for the new HD7000s or the Nvidia 600 series.

I don't know if I'm just stuck in the "must have 100 fps" mindset of quake 3/enemy territory etc, but I wouldn't want anything less than a crossfire or sli setup for this.

100+ fps is a bit hard on new games.. I am happy as long as I can maintain about 45 or more with nice graphics and no slowdown at all.

And I spose if you're taking the pro gamer approach then you'd have all your settings turned down anyway, which would make high frames much more attainable.

Hey guys,

Seen heaps of threads recently about upgrading/building a new machine for BF3 so I will save some of you the guess work with the following link.

http://www.techspot.com/review/448-battlef...ta-performance/

The performance of the top GPUs is a little worrying, I think, as the game may actually be a lot more demanding than the beta lets on. CPU scaling and performance has been a topic of some recent discussion, and the results obtained were fairly interesting.

Overclocking your Core i7 processor is not going to help deliver more performance in Battlefield 3 according to our test using a single GeForce GTX 580 card. We observed that a 49% increase in clock speed for the Core i7 allowed for a mere 6% increase in frame rates.

Hopefully some people find this useful..

Thanks for the find p0is(+)n. Good stuff.

Pretty impressed with how the GTX 570 is performing - basically beats my GTX 480 though not by much really. Not too surprising for a DX 11 title as 500 series cards are better optimised for DX 11 than my 400 series. I would be happy to play the MP at High settings and I would also be turning some things off like motion blur and HBAO and shadows down a bit as well as well as some other lighting effects (to make it easier to see people, particularly indoors) anyway but I am now considering maybe I should get a GTX580 after all. mm.

One thing that is worth keeping in mind about the testing though - it is based on old code - not on retail code which is alreday pretty much completed. So not only are some graphics options not really available, the graphics system in the BETA is not optimised at all. Secondly and in relation to the CPU issue (which I thought was very illuminating) is that many of the features that utilise the CPU were actually turned off in the BETA - I am thinking particularly of things such as destruction. I think there is going to be a lot more need for a fast CPU in the retail version. Thirdly, the testing is done from the perspective of the multiplayer. I actually think that the single player will contain a hell of a lot more graphic bells and whistles than in the MP because the demand for graphics (with all its scripted events) can be offset by the fact that there is no need to take into account the network and its limitations. So I am expecting the single player to actually look BETTER than the actual MP portion, and it is the SP that we will see all the bells and whistles fully implemented and integrated into the game experience. It is in the SP that I would wnat to turn everything up to MAX.

Off to look at my budget. But might still be worth waiting, especially in relation to driver support.

those tests may not be a very good representation of final performance

and as far as cpu performance goes i cant see how they tested and someone on these forums noted that the third stage of the map seemed to be far more cpu intensive and this is before you double the people and map size

realy need to wait and see

the only real advantage gtx570 has over gtx480 is a higher clock speed and lower power use in most other ways it is inferior

Edited by Dasa

ok so when BF3 comes out with the higher graphics than the BETA, we all need crossfire/SLI cards to run at decent frames/resolutions.

I agree that the results may not be totally accurate given the nature of the beta, however those considering an upgrade probably haven't been able to play the beta at all.

We won't know for sure until the game is released in a few weeks, but this may give people a rough idea at least.

I want to see some eyefinity testing to see whether i'm gonna need a 3rd 6970.

With a single 6970 @ 6060x1080 res at max beta settings im getting 26fps average, 22fps minimum outside when I tested it with fraps. Its still very playable at this frame rate. I was actually quite surprised at how low the FPS was considering how smooth it is. I would have guessed at least 35fps.

Hmmmm...

I wonder if I will change my plans for a new 580 and go to the darkside and get 2x 6970s... They're awfully cheap compared to the 580s.

With the game being a beta and there even being "Special drivers" for this game, I wouldn't upgrade a thing until the real game is out and is working, People already say the game dose not work well with some SLI set ups and dual GPU cards any way, the game is buggy, and its a beta so its aloud to be buggy.

I do not know why people are spending $1000's on new systems for a $50 game (if you shop around) that you can not really make any judgment on how it runs on most hardware.

Recently was a thread on here about a GTX295 not running BF3 very well but that's a beast of a card that cant run that game? Yes no DX11 but even with the game in DX10 it cant run it.

go easy on the upgrades for a month lol.

Oh I won't be upgrading until I have at least tried the game don't worry.

And will be waiting for proper benchmarks too. It's a lot of money. Must spend it wisely.

Looks like i won't have a problem with my system at all. 4Ghz i7 and GTX 580 which is underwater so i can overclock it if i want too :).

ive been playin beta on my rig in sig and at 1680x1050 with ultra settings on full screen depending on the map that is played i get 75+ anywhere up to 140 fps.

using fraps to see fps.

With the game being a beta and there even being "Special drivers" for this game,

Take note of this. BF2 performance improved quite markedly with new drivers, so with non-beta code and newer GFX drivers we may see some decent performance improvements on some cards.

ive been playin beta on my rig in sig and at 1680x1050 with ultra settings on full screen depending on the map that is played i get 75+ anywhere up to 140 fps.

using fraps to see fps.

Ultra settings don't work in the beta so you are not actually using the ultra settings. Yes you can select the ultra settings but they do nothing. No changes are actually made to the game visuals.

With the game being a beta and there even being "Special drivers" for this game,

Take note of this. BF2 performance improved quite markedly with new drivers, so with non-beta code and newer GFX drivers we may see some decent performance improvements on some cards.

using fraps to see fps.

Ultra settings don't work in the beta so you are not actually using the ultra settings. Yes you can select the ultra settings but they do nothing. No changes are actually made to the game visuals.

thanks for letting me know.

It runs at a constant 60fps on the beta's max settings (which I think is medium?) with AA and AF on, SLI doesn't work either from what I've been told, so I'm hopefully looking at high settings when the full version hits.

Looks sexy as fuck at medium anyway.

i found it really good too.

i get round 50-75fps on low@1440p and i get ino the 100's at low and 1080p...im not joking.

im going to wait till the game is out and testing till i upgrade for sure... i dont want to spend $500 on a GPU and not see improvements..

i also found it chews through ram as well..im using round 75% when playing this...

Edited by jdog

Looks like there are going to be lots of gamers who will not be able to play BF3 when it's released due to system requirements. I myself am doubtful about my system whether it can support BF3 on maximum settings.

But will have to wait until the full version is released for me to decide whether to upgrade my rig or not.

Having two 6950's (one flashed to 6970) in crossfire, in the BF3 beta at Ultra everything I was getting average 130fps. I feel pretty good about the release and expect to get around 70fps maxed out at a minimum.

:)