Opy

Are scammers getting lazy?

Got into work and found this dodgy email.

It was so obviously dodgy it actually laughed.

All written in plain text this it all it said:

hello, my friend, now you will be one beneficiary from five billions in the world,people all over the world are paying attention to it, it is the shopping website that you can never miss, it is not the seventh wonder in the world but the eighth !! 100% genuine item, 100% high credit!! making you to have your own brand!! i believe you will be the eighth billion one ! please check(www.wholesaleric.com)

They put in no effort for their English translation, no captialisation, no signature.

It's almost insulting.

Unfortunately many people will still fall victim.

I did a couple minutes research and it sounds like the site is safe enough, and they have lots of pre sale support like live chat and they are very nice and helpful. They just don't have any stock and will never have as it is a scam. I read one comment of someone ordering an iPhone 4, They didn't get it. They contacted the "store" a few times and were told that they need to pay the tax too. And they paid it. After that, they have recieved no responses to follow up emails. I think they tried the live chat thing and just got abused and call a 'white png'. Perhaps that was a typo for 'white pig', I'm not up with the world racial slurs.

Anyhow, I'm going to try to add a section to the Bible about Moses smoting internet scammers and bullshit spammers for thier evil ways. Then we can try to get the Spanish Inquisition back to deal with them all as tools of Satan.

I've always wanted it to be made legal to hunt down and kill spammers.

But at the same time... A fool and his/her money....

I've got a bunch of emails from the ATO asking me to go to a dodgy website and enter all my tax details for a guaranteed refund of $500,000 or more.

Edited by smadge1

I've got a bunch of emails from the ATO asking me to go to a dodgy website and enter all my tax details for a guaranteed refund of $500,000 or more.

I've had a lot of ATO ones. They seem to come in waves where I get about 12 in a day and then none for a few days. Never bothered opening any though.

I have an account that I use for places that may result in my getting spam. Now when i look at the account (webmail) I select everything on the page, unselect the 1 to 3 items I want and delete selected and then go to the next page to do the same.

Vaguely recall getting an SMS similar to that too Jeruselem.

One day one of us is going to have some unknown rich relative die and will stand to inherit all estates.

That person will

* Delete any emails

* Delete any text messages

* Ignore / hangup on or generally insult anyone who calls.

I hope to god i don't have any rich relatives living in Africa :)

Well, the current World Population is approximately 6.97 Billion, so there's 1 billion people the scammer will miss out on, unless he's waiting for the population to actually reach 8 billion ... which will be a few years yet ... :)

It is very annoying that I'm trying to sell my bass amp but the only response has been scammers. The same scammer, three times.

Simple, do the deal, then send them a massive concrete slab.

It is very annoying that I'm trying to sell my bass amp but the only response has been scammers. The same scammer, three times.

Simple, do the deal, then send them a massive concrete slab.

Nah, it was the 'send $500 to my credit union to start the transfer of the payment' style scam. They don't care about the item.

I always wonder how people fall for this stuff. Like, without even knowing, the first time I saw a Nigerian email (you know the ones....'I'm the son of a former Nigerian leader and I'm very wealthy but can't transfer the money myself, etc, etc, etc') I thought, BS. I just don't know how people see that stuff and think 'awesome'.

It amuses me when I get 'bank' emails from banks I'm not even a member of, or live in the country from. I get ones from UK banks alllll the time. I guess they're just reaching, just in case.

I always wonder how people fall for this stuff. Like, without even knowing, the first time I saw a Nigerian email (you know the ones....'I'm the son of a former Nigerian leader and I'm very wealthy but can't transfer the money myself, etc, etc, etc') I thought, BS. I just don't know how people see that stuff and think 'awesome'.

It amuses me when I get 'bank' emails from banks I'm not even a member of, or live in the country from. I get ones from UK banks alllll the time. I guess they're just reaching, just in case.

First of that sort I got was the "I've just come into possession of a large sum which the government here says is illegal" variant. Simultaneously more and less believable, which is quite a trick.

Ditto for the banks. Though not the UK ones. Freaks me out that they can have source headers that quite clearly don't point to the banks they claim to be from yet expect people to fall for it anyway. And it completely boggles my mind that anyone falls for it.

Oh I just recalled an email a few years back that looked to be from my web hosting company and looked reasonably legit, just didn't seem right for some reason. I forwarded it to the company and they confirmed it was dodgy and that they were unaware that their customers were getting these emails. Then then posted out a warning to all of thier clients.

Off topic,

I checked the current plans on that hosting company recently and found that for what I'm paying they now offer 3GB of space. When I signed up about 12 years ago the plan was 100MB. It would be nice of organisations like this (web hosting service providers, ISPs, telco services) to let people know they can have a better plan for no extra cost. I don't think they should just do it without confirming with the customer, as the limit may be important to some people for whatever reason.

Though I was charged $20 to upgrade to the latest 'version' of my same plan. Not too harsh, but doesn't seem necessary.

I was sent the other day that had around 100 people in the To and CC fields. The email contents were:

Dear Contractor,

I hope you doing good.

We are currently going through the residency status of all our recent contractors with (COMPANY changed).

Please send me your : -

Passport Number

Visa Number.

Please advise if you have any questions?

---------

Sadly this was actually a legitimate email sent by what I assume is a new account manager. It's not just the scammers that are getting lazy.

Edited by Chancellor

One of the first lessons my mother taught me in life was, if something is to good to be true, it probably is... I think the people who fall for these scams are either stupid, or live in an alternate universe where sometimes wild crazy moments of luck beyond your wildest dreams can happen for no reason with you having to do no work for them to happen...

Sadly this was actually a legitimate email sent by what I assume is a new account manager.

Wow Chanc, that's mind boggling.

Agreed. That's just...wow.

When selling privately, I allow only contact through actual phone calls, no email, no text. I state all will be ignored unless it's a call.

Works great, paypal scammers etc wont ring.

It's how I sold my motorbike on gumtree second time around, got 0 spammers. First ad I just got heaps of email/text from dodgers.

My email spam has great humor value..

Be on fire like a candle guy with our drugs.

Try our drugs and women will be kneeling down to have sex with you.

Our drugs is the wizard that can make your dreams come true.

Try our drugs and the bomb will explode in your bed.

With our drugs your penis will be rechargeable.

Our drugs - because your penis deserves it.

Actually, I would probably give them my email address willingly to keep receiving these.

I've always wanted it to be made legal to hunt down and kill spammers.

But at the same time... A fool and his/her money....

Seems like some aren't brought up knowing if something's too good to be true, it's probably not.

I've actually gone to town on a few spammers just for fun. My spammer had gone to a lot of effort with fake paypal pages, etc. Same old story, he's working long hours off-shore on a boat and can't look at my bike but is convinced that it's perfect for him from the photos :D ... so he's going to dispatch his international shipping agent from the UK ... he makes a "pretend" deposit to my (alternative) paypal account... and sends a phony paypal email saying that "paypal" has frozen his transfer until the shipping agent in the UK receives $1k for a security deposit from me via some Western Union account.

I LOL'd

Then when his shipping guy never received my $1k, he started sending emails (again pretending to be paypal) threatening me of "legal" action if I did not co-operate in this "contract of sale" ...

I LOL'd again and told him to fuck off.

It's a great effort, but if only he'd learned to use capitals, full stops, etc etc, he might have been 0.01% more convincing. Hehe