p0is0n

[Build Log] Project Poison

I've read that I am gonna have problems with literally any cooling product i've looked at. Everyone reckons whatever they aren't using will clog/corrode/damage or in some way fuck up the system. Especially reading through build logs and such at OCAU.

I dedided to just grab 2 bottles of the red EK pre-mixed coolant so I don't have to worry about additives or dye. And they were only $7 per 1L bottle at gammods. This way if I have any issues, EK will have to honour my warranty as I am using their recommended coolant.

Hopefully I have no issues though.

I've used several, they all leave residue.

Now I use a sliver of silver, demineralised water and a drop of algaecide. Loops been crystal clear for 6 or so months now.

When i was looking into WC i never heard anything good about anything other than silver so id go with what nuke said.

i had a good run using pre mixed tractor coolant

it use to be green but now its orange

trouble is it will probably destroy acrylic/perspex if you have any in your loop and temps may be a few c higher than distilled water so best to go with what nuke said

been doing a bit more reading on this and im glad I went with the pre mix coolant..

for anyone interested may be worth reading this thread over at ocau..

basicaly, for loops including nikel (my block) water+silver is possibly the cause of corrosion.. has happened to many people and manufacturers rejected RA based on the loop only containing water and silver, and that it is against most manufacturers recommendations.

someone posted this which seems to concur with the general findings.

(Cathode) Ag+(aq) + e- ==> Ag (s) E=0.80V

(Anode) Ni(s) ==> Ni2+(aq) + 2e- E=0.25V

In water, silver will damage nickel plating. Seems to be fine in all copper loops though.

Majority of the stuff I got so far(excluding rad) was from EK so I am hoping to avoid any of the issues others have had by following the product recommendations.

For $7/L i will let u all know how it goes both initially and a few months down the track.

In other news, this case is pretty much finished. Just waiting till I can afford to buy a new mobo/cpu/ram then Im set for now. Decided I will grab new gfx cards once I've seen the new offerings, pair of 5770s is still good for now.

Edited by p0is(+)n

fairly sure a lot of coolants can make acrylic crack and your res is acrylic...

hmm i avoided the perspex top blocks but looks like i've got an acrylic res. didn't think of that!

im prepared to chance it anyway, i haven't read many problems with people having corrosion or anything using pre-mix coolant so im gonna give it a go.

all of the people having problems seem to be using distilled water + additives only.

hmm i avoided the perspex top blocks but looks like i've got an acrylic res. didn't think of that!

im prepared to chance it anyway, i haven't read many problems with people having corrosion or anything using pre-mix coolant so im gonna give it a go.

all of the people having problems seem to be using distilled water + additives only.

Where are the updates?! :P

On a more serious note, let me know how you go with the pre-mix coolant, as I am having problems with all the tubes in my loop getting lined with a cloudy white residue, and I am not sure what is causing it, but have a feeling its corrosion....

If it gets much worse than it is already I will have to replace the hoses again and flush it, then use coolant :\

Been pretty flat out with starting a new job with a new company recently, but i have a few more updates. I also didnt have any internet for 3 weeks..

Will make another post with a few updates soon, possibly later tonight.

I tried a few of the premix coolants in my old loops.

I just run with anti freeze now, Glycol makes a good lubricant for the pumps as well.

Hey guys,

Ive got time for a quick update today, but firstly, a problem I've hit.

I got as far as filling the loop last night, but then when I tried to turn my pump on... nothing? It doesn't seem to make any noise, or vibrate at all. There is no indication that any water is moving around at all so I am a bit worried. I plugged a fan in to make sure the PSU was on, and it was, the fan works no prob.

Its been sitting assembled for about 12 hours and no leaks I can see so far, I've only tried 'jump starting' the psu for leak testing as I don't want to risk any damage to components.

I've tried with both 3-pin and molex power, and also with the power from another live computer turned on next to this. Any ideas why the pump would not be operating with power? Hopefully its not faulty or I'm going to have to do a lot of disassembly. *worried*

Here is a quick picture of where I am up to, will write up a full update tonight.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers guys

Edit: Pretty sure pump is DOA, have gotten an RA number from PCCG to return it tomorrow.

Edited by p0is(+)n

Been a few weeks since I did any updates to this project, for that I apologise but I have been without any home internet for a while, and been busy with work as well. Also just haven't had much to update about.

I went and picked up some parts from MSY over the weekend and got stuck into the build. I also made another small order from the kool room for a few more fittings and a tap for the system to make filling/draining easier.

Firstly the tap, it is made from a T-Piece, a male-male G1/4" adapter and 3 compression fittings. When I put the case flat, this tap is the highest point in the system. It can also be the lowest when upright. This will hopefully make filling/draining relatively easy as I am in all respects a WC noob.

I also finally decided on some new kit, and had the cash to go and grab it too.

Here is what I picked up from MSY on the weekend.

Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4

i5 2500k

2x4GB Patriot DDR3-17000

ASUS DVD-RW

20m Cat6 cable (just in case, not sure if my wireless card will fit once assembled.)

And so since everyone likes pictures so much.. here are a couple :)

Posted Image

Before final mounting, I needed to flush all the crap out of my rad as I could hear little bits of metal rattling around inside.

This seemed like the easiest way to do it. After rinsing with tap water I then rinsed with distilled water to get any crap out, then it was ready to use.

Posted Image

Now I also ordered a fan filter from kool room as my rear fan will be an intake not and exhaust. I want to keep the dust out so I put one of these on.

Posted Image

Here is a quick shot of the motherboard prior to any assembly. One of the nicer looking ones IMO as I don't like over the top heatsink design, or poor choice of colours from the manufacturer. This black/grey theme suites my build well.

Posted Image

Here is the CPU installed.

Posted Image

And with the block mounted on top.

Posted Image

Here is a picture of how I've started managing the cables behind the motherboard tray. Have to leave plenty of space for power cables and data cables too.

Posted Image

There are a couple of slightly more finished pics above, but here is a somewhat assembled pic too.

Posted Image

Thats all for now, sorry this update hasn't been as detailed as my previous ones. Have just given up trying to take shit pictures with my phone of some steps, like I couldn't get a good picture of how to spread the thermal paste extremely thin.

As my pump is DOA anyway, I am going to be dismantling most of this again tonight. If anyone has some requests for specific pics they want to see, or anything they want to see in more detail let me know and I can pay specific attention to it for you.

Cheers guys,

Thanks for reading

Edited by p0is(+)n

My silver strips just arrived a few days ago. I was not aware of the reactions with nickel. I'll have to double check my parts now.

That looks like a beast with the external rad :p. I am tossing up between going a 360 internally when I watercool in my Arc, or stick with a 240 in the top, and then drill out the hard drive bays and put another 240 in the front for gpu's (though cleaning out the dust filter will be a pain, worst design choice for that front fascia). How do you think an internal 360 would go clearance wise? From what I've measured up it'll be a tight fit, and the drive bays will be lost.

You could probably fit a 360 internally at the top, there is heaps of room for hardware but as said you'd lose a bay or two for sure. I've also seen 2x 240 mounted in this case bottom and top, or top and front.

You could even go top, front, rear and bottom mounted rads if u wanted. Plenty of ways to do things just have to decide what suites your build, and what you may want to use it again for in the future.

U can check out these pics for some other ideas of what can be done with the space

http://www.overclockers.com.au/pix/index.p...ge&id=3xnbv

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k183/psy...er/IMG_0275.jpg

I've accepted the pump is dead and will be sending it back to PCCG tomorrow. Have drained the loop when I had 5 mins this arvo and grabbed a quick pic of that too as filling/draining the loop was the most daunting thing for me.

Posted Image

May help some of you, or if u have a better suggestion for me, please share it with me.

Cheers

Thanks for the info and pics, I had seen the first one but not the second with the floor mounted rad. That sucks about the pump.

I had the same pump issues , plug'd in every possible way and got nothing

RMA- to pccg and aparently it worked for them just fine....

oh ,awsome build man looks nice

and good luck with the pump

im waiting for mine to be sent back this week

sad to hear about the pump was a good lil unit for the price. ive only ever used MCP355's and hate having to shell out 100 bucks for one then anything from 20 to 80 for a top or a reservoir.

first bad story ive heard about the pumps too!

thanks for the comments guys. hopefully i get a quick turn around from PC case gear.

out of curiosity, what kind of pump did you have st8smn?

how long since you sent it back? want to know how long i might be waiting.

just to be safe tonight i decided to boot the machine up, set ram speeds etc (stock) and make sure it all POSTed so I don't run into any problems later. I will probably install an OS on it this week and start using it as my main desktop. Once I get the pump back I can give the water cooling another go, then once I am happy with that, onto the overclocking. Although tempting, I decided not to see what it is capable of on stock cooler... going to leave it at stock speeds until under water.

here is a picture i took after quickly chucking together a few bits out of my current box to test it tonight. this was just a 5 minute job, I plan on getting a new PSU next as although this one is still fine, it may struggle depending on my gpu choice and I would like a modular one as I don't use half the cables hanging off this one. the cpu power cable wasnt long enough to run behind the motherboard either. good thing its only temporary.

Posted Image

I have totally dismantled and rinsed the loop. the pump will be sent back tomorrow.

You might find even with a new modular PSU that the CPU power cable isn't long enough to run behind the motherboard with the PSU bottom mounted anyway. On all those that I've seen (which admittedly isn't heaps) an extension has been needed. Worth checking out before you sit down to do your final build, as there's nothing more frustrating than having to put off the build for a night while you track down a $5 extension cable! lol

Most of the decent quality PSU's have a fairly long 4/8pin mobo power cable. I built a PC in a Bitfenix Shinobi using an FSP Aurum 650W modular PSU, and the 8pin was long enough by a good 5 or so CM's.

But as Moph says, buy an extender anyway, then you are covered. Even the really nice looking sleeved one's are pretty cheap.

I had a similar issue with a 355 before (twice) bought a new pump which burnt out as well.

Luckily it was just a burn line on the pumps circuit board so i just re-soldered it.

I'm looking to do another build in the next few years or so (or i might just do a rebuild), i don't know if i can be fucked going h20 again.

Another quick update.

Good news from PCCG I got an update on my RA today.

"Replacement shipped: 18/11: Your replacement item has been tested and will be shipping out today, a tracking number will be provided shortly."

I asked that they test the next pump before sending to me, which it appears they have done.

Seems like a quick turn around.

Replacment pump arrived today, under 1 week turn around has me quite impressed with PCCGs RA dept. Usually I have experienced many days where nothing happens with no explanation offered.

Will hopefully have time to re-assemble the loop tonight and fill/leak-test it. If so.. will update again with temps etc.

just a quick teaser for now. got a lot done tonight, am currently testing for leaks and probably will until after work tomorrow.

Posted Image

sorry about the poor photo quality. I will borrow a DSLR to take some pictures when finished.

Edited by p0is(+)n

just a quick teaser for now. got a lot done tonight, am currently testing for leaks and probably will until after work tomorrow.

Posted Image

sorry about the poor photo quality. I will borrow a DSLR to take some pictures when finished.

Hey that is one mean looking machine nice build man i used to have the Fractal Design Arc midi case its a nice case.