p0is0n

[Build Log] Project Poison

I had some clear Tygon stuff left over from when I first started this log, so that's what I used for now. I think I will flush it all out again in a week or two as I am sure there would have been residue in the pump/rad etc. which i couldn't scrub. I might get some different tube before then too.

my loop got some algae in it a while back so things are rather grotty here

all scrubbed up well with a toothbrush though

Posted Image

always had things go cloudy though even without algae and i have used lots of different types of tube and coolant over the years

my loop seemed to be loosing a lot more water than normal for a while there i was topping up the res every month or two and i was suspecting the rad of having a tinny leak

after taking it apart there was a spot in the middle that look like it had been wet and had some corrosion

tried to pressure test the rad in the bath by blowing in it but didnt get any bubbles

so its all back together but i didnt end up putting the new card in the loop or cleaning the res\tube

ripped the heat plate and triple slot mount bracket of the old 7970 so the new card fits with it

that has left the card hanging kind loose in the slot and the pcb can now bend a bit without the backplate but its working :)

Edited by Dasa

/cast ThreadNecromancy

So I rebuilt my loop/machine again tonight, as I was installing a new pump/res and just cleaning the dust out of the radiators and the usual kind of business. I got some of the new primoflex tubing, which is supposed to not have the same kind of plasticizer leeching issues as the old stuff, so far seems like nice sturdy tube, today was the first time I've needed to soak things in boiling water to make it easier to work with. It came with a bottle of 'sys prep' which you are supposed to run through the loop for about 12 hours to clean it, then you flush it out and put in your real coolant. I'm giving it a go so will report back if it seems to do anything, before flushing and replacing with water and liquid utopia. I also installed an additional 280 rad about 5 months back, which I got for about $20 off OCAU forums so it's now mounted to the front of my case. The case itself is basically just a frame now, to hold all of my hardware. It's been hacked to pieces and has no sides/front etc. It does just fine for my needs though.

I have been leak testing tonight and after a few hours it seemed fine to me, so I powered on. I spent about 3 hours cleaning and assembling everything so I didn't rush it and as such, hopefully don't end up with any issues. The first thing I noticed was that I seem to have shaved around 5C off my load temps somehow, I am actually pretty amazed. It's been running prime 95 for a few hours now, and haven't gone over 60C. I did just start using a Bitfenix Hydra fan controller, so I wonder if it's giving the fans a little more power than they were getting off a power board I was using before. Also loving the ability to turn them right down for absolute silence and to also turn the LEDs in my fans on/off with a button.

Here it was about 15 mins in, just getting started, you can tell as it's 'power usage' is below 100W.

Posted Image

Here is basically maximum load temps I think I will see.

Posted Image

I have been really imprssed with this new pump, its significantly quieter than my DCP4.0 and I believe it may be more powerful but I am not 100%. It also makes literally no vibrations which was another major drawback to the old pump, it vibrated enough to shake the whole chassis/move my mouse around on the desk. I put it on some spare skateboard wheels which killed the vibration, but was still annoying. Much happier with the build now, quieter and better temps.

Here is the loop order, basically it goes Res -> Pump -> GPU -> Rad -> CPU -> Rad -> Res. I've also removed all case fans, as I have 5 rad fans, all intake, which moves more than enough air. There is a dust filter on the back where a fan should go, just to cover the hole, i just screwed it on with a few fasteners.

I am yet to tidy up cables or anything, just playing it safe and doing some testing now. Will post up a pic or two of the rig when I get to this stage, right now.. it's messy, but here is a quick pic I took once I plugged it all in.

Sorry for yet another camea phone pic, the phone software on my SGSII has improved a lot I think, since I went to 4.2.2, takes better pics than my SIII I think.

Posted Image

Thats all for now, would appreciate any comments on the rebuild.

Cheers

Despite the fact you are missing every panel from that case, it still looks pretty awesome.

From that side atleast :P