PointZeroOne

The Avengers movie

The Hulk stole the show IMO and I expected more from Ironman.... mainly weapons and power.

The Hulk punching Thor from the side, kicking Loki's butt (puni god lol) and roaring Ironman back awake were all a good laugh.

Saw it today. Loved it. Probably on par with Iron Man for best superhero movie. The main battle is probably the best thing I've seen in a movie in a long time.

The post-credit scene was awesome as well, looking forward to the next one. Which will be like 3 years away FFFFUUUU-

Saw it in 2d.

Not as good as I hoped, or as bad as I feared.

The Chitauri weren't the menacing destroyers I was hoping for, they seemed very underwhelming and far too easily bested.

Tony Stark / Iron Man had all the great lines in the first half, Banner / Hulk stole the show in the second.

I couldn't get over the feeling that Hawkeye should've died. He spent most of the battle thoroughly exposed facing multiple supernatural adversaries. I thought a death in the main group would've added more emotional impact.

Overall, Marvels best effort since Iron Man.

Will see this on Sat.

Given the choice, 3D or not 3D?

I saw it in 2D. Was surprised to see it was in 16:9 instead of wider (unless my shitty cinema forgot to open the screen curtains all the way). I may see it again in 3D, just because 3D movies are shown in the better two of the 5 cinemas in the complex. The 'crap' ones are always blurry and shitty. The constant problem there for me is it always feels like my eyes are blurry and I can't open them enough. But no, it's just the shitty equipment/projectionist not focusing properly. Everything seemed a bit dark throughout the movie for me, again, not sure if it's my shitty cinema, or the movie was like that.

Will get pretty expensive though, $14 concession ticket for 2D. I doubt many scenes would be made better with 3D, but I'll check it out anyway.

Saw it in 2d.

Not as good as I hoped, or as bad as I feared.

The Chitauri weren't the menacing destroyers I was hoping for, they seemed very underwhelming and far too easily bested.

Tony Stark / Iron Man had all the great lines in the first half, Banner / Hulk stole the show in the second.

I couldn't get over the feeling that Hawkeye should've died. He spent most of the battle thoroughly exposed facing multiple supernatural adversaries. I thought a death in the main group would've added more emotional impact.

Overall, Marvels best effort since Iron Man.

I agree with that. The Chitauri boss near the start was very spooky and menacing to Loki, really seemed formidable. Then the soldiers were just basic drones that didn't even bother street cops. I thought it was interesting when the portal closed that they all dropped dead. I don't know anything about the race since I haven't read any/many comics with them in, but maybe they were just pretty low-level drones controlled by computer or whatever. They weren't expecting much resistance. I imagine that was the initial force sent to secure the portal area, after which some serious artillery would come through to establish a foothold and then take the rest of the planet. They weren't anticipating their forces to get wiped out, or for Stark to drive a nuke into their exhaust port.

Stark definitely had the best lines, but that's kind of his thing. I bet Joss had a whale of a time writing for him. I thought the Coulson death was a good move. He was a regular nice popular character that has been sown back through all the movies and interacted with everyone. Makes sense for Joss to drop the guillotine on him. There's clearly going to be a sequel, and one or more of the main cast will probably get killed/maimed/converted/teleported through time etc. in that one.

One thing I'm not sure of is Cobie Smulders' character. She didn't seem that necessary and could have been gotten rid of, or made more substantial. Maybe some of her scenes were cut, I don't know. I do know I am going to watch the shit out of the special features.

Also I thought Loki was a pretty great villain. He certainly had the evil theatrical grins and whatnot going on. And when Hulk mopped the floor with him, the whole cinema laughed.

The one I'm going to is of unknown quality. Remains to be seen. Pun intended. I'll go for 2D and if the content is as good as I expect, I may go back for 3D.

If you ignore the plot holes like how did Thor get to Earth - didn't they destroy the Bifrost in the last film?, the fact that the Black Widow and Hawkeye were total second-rate pansies compared to the rest of the team, that the alien invasion was obviously coordinated by a five year old, and that there's a new guy playing the Hulk for the third time in the space of 10 years, then it was a really fun film.

Another one: I thought Banner was a physicist? What was he doing working as an MD?

Also I thought Loki was a pretty great villain. He certainly had the evil theatrical grins and whatnot going on. And when Hulk mopped the floor with him, the whole cinema laughed.

You know not that I like him much as a character, but he might have been the best-played character in the movie. Probably the most complex. That's not saying much I know but I liked how the different elements of his personality - being adopted, being from a different race, thinking he should have the throne and finding out not, being raised with some ethical standards, having a love-hate relationship with his brother, etc - were played off against each other.

The one I'm going to is of unknown quality. Remains to be seen. Pun intended. I'll go for 2D and if the content is as good as I expect, I may go back for 3D.

The Launceston Village is quite possibly the worst cinema I have ever been to. Last thing I watched there was Wolverine but the seats were uncomfortable the sound was shitty and the screen was small. Go to Devonport or Hobart.

I will be going to a 3d showing probably monday as I'm flat out all weekend.

Saw it in 2D last night, yeah 16:9 here as well. The movie was OK, about what I expected and Bey can take some lessons from Joss on how to destroy a city.

Also did anyone notice at the final scene on the carrier where the brunette was talking to Nick Fury, she turns and walks back along the walkway and there is another agent coming the other way who pats her on the shoulder. It looked an awful lot like the agent who was killed (Coulson) when Loki put a staff through his back? Or am I seeing things?

Edited by Director

One other thing with the flying carrier's engines - one of them broke down after the explosion, and they said "If we lose another engine we'll go down", then Hawkeye shot his hacker arrow thing into the computer and shut down all of the engines. So how did Ironman keep the thing flying when he only restarted one engine, and that was the shitty busted up one?

One other thing with the flying carrier's engines - one of them broke down after the explosion, and they said "If we lose another engine we'll go down", then Hawkeye shot his hacker arrow thing into the computer and shut down all of the engines. So how did Ironman keep the thing flying when he only restarted one engine, and that was the shitty busted up one?

The arrow only shut down one more engine. The carrier started to drop. Then Iron Man restarted the damaged one. Meaning they still had three running. Needlessly complicated? Absolutely.

It was clear from Thor that not a lot of effort was made to do 3D well, so I saw this one in 2D. As for all the marvel movies ... I loved his one. Simply good fun with a sufficient amount of action. No brain draining thought required.

Saw it in 2D last night, yeah 16:9 here as well. The movie was OK, about what I expected and Bey can take some lessons from Joss on how to destroy a city.

Also did anyone notice at the final scene on the carrier where the brunette was talking to Nick Fury, she turns and walks back along the walkway and there is another agent coming the other way who pats her on the shoulder. It looked an awful lot like the agent who was killed (Coulson) when Loki put a staff through his back? Or am I seeing things?

Strange choice with the 16:9. I'm pretty sure all the other Marvel movies are in super wide. I think the brunette you're talking about was Coby Smulder's character (Robin from How I Met Your Mother). I don't think it was Coulson with the shoulder pat though, he will almost certainly be staying dead. Unless he comes back as a hero or villain or something, but I don't see that happening.

What are the next movies on the agenda? I know Iron Man 3 is happening, don't know about any others. If they do even one a year, the next Avengers will be about 4 or 5 years away. That's a hell of a long-range tease...

The arrow only shut down one more engine. The carrier started to drop. Then Iron Man restarted the damaged one. Meaning they still had three running. Needlessly complicated? Absolutely.

Oh right, I got the impression it was all of them. That makes a bit more sense.

Holy fuck that was good.

Best. Hulk. Ever.

The story was well paced, funny, poignant, and on the ball the whole way.

It was possibly one of the best Comic book films I've ever seen.

It was okay. The first half was sometimes a little slow, altho' the trademark Whedon dialogue meant that wasn't a huge issue. I mean, Whedon is one of those writers who can kind of get away with being self-indulgent. Unless, you know, he pulls that shit on the people in charge of programming at Fox. The action scenes were good--fun, over-the-top silliness. The alien 'threat' just ... wasn't. If you hadn't seen the other Marvel films, particularly the weakest of the lot (it was Captain America that introduced the magic cube of magic, wasn't it?) or had a particularly bad recall of the history of magical items of magic in cinema, you'd maybe be a little lost about where the glowing box came from. But. You know. It's not like that glowing box of doom is anything but an excuse.

I'd rate it on a similar level to the original Iron Man, which until now was easily the pick of the Marvel films.

I have to admit, I've been regretting the use of the word "very" in the second sentence of my review/report on the movie.

I think the slow start was important. It built up to the awesome battle scenes in the second half of the movie. I'm sure if it was action from the get go, everyone would be complaining that there wasn't enough character development or some shit like that. Personally, I loved it from start to finish.

"Quick! Close the portal to stop the invading army!"

"No! Stark is flying a nuke in there!!"

*Stark flies in nuke, destroys the ship, all alien invading forces stop dead in their tracks*

"Hurry up and close the fscking portal!!!" *tension if Stark will make it back or not*

Um - Stark just stopped the army, so why the rush to get the portal shut after he did that?

The first half was sometimes a little slow, altho' the trademark Whedon dialogue meant that wasn't a huge issue.

I didn't feel that it was slow at any point really. I mean it started with Loki ninja-sceptring everyone and creating loyal zombies (a plot point I thought was pretty weakly handled). Then a freaking Hellmouth-collapse happened and Samuel L Jackson jumped out of a helicopter and shot things.

I thought there was a lack of Joss dialogue really. It was definitely evident in Stark, and I guess the snarkiness between Banner and everyone. But I didn't notice any of the dialogue stuff people dislike him for.

I haven't checked what money the movie has made so far, but I'm guessing it's decent. This should set Joss up to do whatever the hell he wants to do. And I just heard Warren Ellis started writing Wastelanders...

"Quick! Close the portal to stop the invading army!"

"No! Stark is flying a nuke in there!!"

*Stark flies in nuke, destroys the ship, all alien invading forces stop dead in their tracks*

"Hurry up and close the fscking portal!!!" *tension if Stark will make it back or not*

Um - Stark just stopped the army, so why the rush to get the portal shut after he did that?

I dare say because the explosion was about to come through the portal and fuck up the city

Moving on ... best movie EVER! Loved it to bits :)