Bala_Matt

Mineral Oil by Pugent

I was looking in a shopping centre PC shop with lots of prebuilt systems. I asked if any machines had an ASUS Direct CU II card (they have them separate) so I could hear how quiet they are.

From this he decided that I'm an extreme overclocker and tried to sell me a Mineral Oil Overclocking

Case Kit. It looks like a lit Blue Aquarium!

Has anyone taken the plunge and tried this setup or similar?

I had a friend recently ask me about the very same thing. I know absolutely squat about oil cooling sorry.

They actually sell kits for that??

I never really saw the point, unless there is a rad cooling all the oil that's in the case.

It would also ruin any resale value your components might have.

I haven't seen a mineral oil setup for years now.

Last one i saw had some nice rocks in the bottom with little mechanical fish swimming around.

IMO it's way too much of a hassle to setup and not worth the effort unless you are doing it just cause, water cooling kits are pretty much the go now.

Still around

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Note that hard drives are not submerged in the oil, they must be left out in the air.

Huh, thanks for the link... i think that was one of the sites i looked at when i was younger (more insane) and was considering this.

I don't see this to be as useful as water cooling, pressure is better than volume in liquid cooling, the only good thing about this case is you can easily cool vrms .

Never seen oil pcs be good for high level overclocking.

I don't see this to be as useful as water cooling, pressure is better than volume in liquid cooling, the only good thing about this case is you can easily cool vrms .

Never seen oil pcs be good for high level overclocking.

Yeah that's what was found before, as soon as you start cooling the oil to hit higher clocks it will get too viscous to pump.

I think mainly it was just for completely silent cooling of a few systems, and the "because i could" factor.

Still around

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Note that hard drives are not submerged in the oil, they must be left out in the air.

Should think so for normal drives, the breathing hole on the top of them tends to not make them sealed against fluid ingress (as they mention themselves...).

The track-to-track times also might suffer a tad if the arm has to stir dead dino juice - sorta defeats the purpose of overcooling for overclocking, y'know?... :)

Edited by merlin13

lol @ oil cooling

theres a reason vehicles r water cooled now and not oil cooled :)

Plenty of engines out there that use at least partial oil cooling.

EG all 4 stroke air cooled engines use the oil for part of the cooling. EG motorbikes, Deutz engines, Lister Petter engines.

Yes air is the primary cooler but oil plays a part in it too, especially on the Deutz and Lister Petter engines.

The mineral Oil cooling is essentially removing the blocks and just drenching the shit in oil now, if its moving the oil to the radiator faster than the components can heat it up, then theoretically it should work well.

I'd never do a good build in one, but I'd definitely do it with an older system just for a talking piece.

im actually a little interested in this with having xfire 6970's case temps can be pretty hot, id wanna wait untill someone knows someone that has done it though as to make sure motherboard doesnt come apart or something.