Sign in to follow this  
ArcaneMagik

Might and Magic Heroes VI

This post will contain spoilers. Consider yourself warned.

Well this isn't going to be a massively indepth post, but at least it's somewhere for me to give my thoughts about this game.

I was really, really wanting this game to be good.

It looked good in the beta.

Now I am trying to play the campaign, this game is frustrating me more than giving me any other kind of emotional reaction. I wanted to enjoy the story, and have fun and not feel like I was spending hours and hours in a chore for little reward.

I've played the tutorial quests, and now I am up to the second mission on the necropolis campaign. I'm not having fun. I am not sure I can beat this map now due to my limited troops and no way to recover them which is not fun. The game did not tell me how anal I needed to be with my troops prior to this, and it should have given me some kind of heads up the mission was going this way. The last mission required me to spend it slowly taking enemy territory, and the simple over powered ability of the necropolis to recover units lost in battle. Even with every troop available to me, I found I had no way to take down some wild creatures as by that time their growth rate had made them insanely powerful against my limited pool of creature types.

The only hints I have had to improving my experience has been from searching the game forums and reading the orbs that are present in the game. I assumed they were beta only thing... but I guess Ubisoft wants pointless spam in my single player game.

I'm 4 missions into the single player game, and I am thinking of giving this game up even after pre ordering it. Considering this is like one of the first multiplayer gaming memories I had, if not the first, I'm not happy.

I have no opinion on multiplayer, and did not purchase the game for that, so if you are looking for an opinion on the multiplayer experience you will need to wait for someone else. My only focus with this game was single player and skirmish verse AI.

So to be fair, my only criticism I have is the quality of the single player campaign design. The bugs so far have not been game crippling for me, as I am playing on low graphics and expect most of the issues to be due to the poor specs of my pc.

Edited by ArcaneMagik

purchased it on steam but since its not on ga content servers i wont be able to give it a go till the 25th

i enjoyed heroes 5 and the beta so with a bit of luck it wont be to bad

well it all seems a bit dull so far and rather easy on the normal difficulty

the ubi drm is as shit as ever as the net dropped out while i was nearing the end of a large base fight so it booted me back to the main menu with no chance to save :( so now i have to spend ~30 min redoing some large slow battles just because of the fucking drm

There’s a massively compulsive and highly strategic game in there for sure.

As is series tradition, Might & Magic Heroes VI is comprised of two major facets - turn-based battles between fantastical armies and a top-down mode where you explore large maps looking for fights, items and resources in order to gain experience and abilities necessary to defeat ever-more powerful foes.

Thrown into this is conquering settlements and upgrading them with new buildings, necessary to raise larger armies and more resources.

To a casual observer, it’s going to appear fiendishly complicated - tons of numbers, tons of unit types and somewhat slow progress.

There’s a massively compulsive and highly strategic game in there for sure.

As is series tradition, Might & Magic Heroes VI is comprised of two major facets - turn-based battles between fantastical armies and a top-down mode where you explore large maps looking for fights, items and resources in order to gain experience and abilities necessary to defeat ever-more powerful foes.

Thrown into this is conquering settlements and upgrading them with new buildings, necessary to raise larger armies and more resources.

To a casual observer, it’s going to appear fiendishly complicated - tons of numbers, tons of unit types and somewhat slow progress.

+1

Arcane have you tried skirmish? I might play through the campaign later, but skirmish and multiplayer is where these games are at. It's always been that way. Nearly every HOMM game has had frustrating single player missions. The AI post patch is fantastic. I was a bit disappointed before the patch, at the difficulty, but the AI seems to do a lot less stupid stuff, and is a much better challenge. It actually responds well to how your divide your forces.

Really? Is it that much different to HOMAM3? I never found them overly complicated at all.

Really? Is it that much different to HOMAM3? I never found them overly complicated at all.

its dumbed down a bit by comparison to hom&m 3 & 5

I haven't played much since I wrote that post. I followed a few of the comments and tweaked the difficulty, but it removed any challenge from the game completely.

Might give it ago after the exam period.

Might and Magic Heroes VI may have some issues with battlefield tactics in the late game and its story, but the strategy remains a blast nonetheless.

Near infinite hours of gameplay await, and anyone looking for a well-made and addictive turn-based strategy game need go no further than this.

Might and Magic Heroes VI may have some issues with battlefield tactics in the late game and its story, but the strategy remains a blast nonetheless.

Near infinite hours of gameplay await, and anyone looking for a well-made and addictive turn-based strategy game need go no further than this.

do you ever post anything that isnt just a copy and paste from something else?

at least link where your stealing from when you do it

http://m.au.ign.com/articles/1210600

Edited by Dasa

do you ever post anything that isnt just a copy and paste from something else?

at least link where your stealing from when you do it

http://m.au.ign.com/articles/1210600

It sure is an odd thing to do, we'll get to the bottom of it :)

(PS - RTMing stuff like this is actually really useful for us, if this is a spambot/guerrilla advertiser/etc we can sort em out)