Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

Building Media Server PC

Hey, I'm currently running my main PC with PS3 Media server and sharing over the wireless too (ps3 wireless is shit, needs LAN)

Problem is, my PC is a power draw monster, with two idling GTX480's it's nothing short of the worst media server ever.

I'm using 3x1Tb Caviar Blacks atm and I'm over using my PC for media hosting. I want to downsize to 1 SSD and 1HDD in my PC and pack a pile of drives into a NAS-type media solution.

I'm not real clear on requirements though, just what a media PC needs.

I'll be running probably 2x2Tb green drives in it, later to have two more added.

So really, I think the requirements will be low enough for some second hand old AMD or core2 to run, but I need a mobo with at least 4xsata3 ports (I'd settle for sata2) .

What CPU will I need?

, this pc will max have two points accessing it, likely the PS3 and one laptop over the wireless network, I'm sure the green drives are quick enough to allow that.

I can grab a few gig of cheapass ram should do fine.

Anywho, if anyone has a nice overview of a good, cheap solution, with gigabit lan, I'd be happy.

Thanks in advance.

Your setup sounds very simillar to what I currently do, streaming with PS3 media server to my ps3/xbox over LAN and not wireless as it causes lag when streaming HD. A little off topic but with some tweaking you can get the streaming running very smoothe. Im actually doing the exact same thing with my new build, SSD and 1x 2TB drive will probably be all thats in there, as I hate having 6-7 drives in a single PC. I will be converting my Q6600 machine into a dedicated media server later this year.

I would say try to pick up a cheap second hand mATX 775 board with gigabit if possible or even just grab a gigabit network card they aren't too pricey. Literally any C2D or C2Q should be up to the task. 2-4gb or ddr2 won't be hard to find either.

I think the hardest thing will be finding a decent second hand 775 board. most of them should have at least 4x sata2 ports. my current 775 board was mid range, its over 4 years old and has 6x sata2 ports.

I'm not sure if you were looking for specific part recommendations or just an overview of what you might need, but it sounds like your on the right track anyway.

Edited by p0is(+)n

Yeah, what he said :P I'm going to be building one in a few weeks using the Phenom II X2 555 that's in my rig ATM with 4GB RAM, a 2TB green, and a 40GB SSD. Hook that into my LAN via gigabit, plus I have a spare KVM to control it as well. Easy-peasy

Also, if your after some RAM, I have 4 x 1GB sticks of Kingston Value DDR2 667MHz lying here you can have for cheap. PM me :)

one of you old amd xp would probably do if any of them had enough sata ports

for just file serving maybe look at a nas

for a few new pc options

6 sata ports 2 usb3 and fanless

ASUS E35M1-M PRO $169 matx

probably overkill since it is powerful enough to play bluray although not 3d

4 sata ports

Gigabyte GA-D525TUD mini-ITX $105

both will use somewhere around 30w just add a stick of ram hdd and psu

Edited by Dasa

E350 with a cheap GPu will do blue ray play back no problems. Before I sold my Microserver I put a 4850 in the machine and it was a sweet little media center.

one of you old amd xp would probably do if any of them had enough sata ports

for just file serving maybe look at a nas

for a few new pc options

6 sata ports 2 usb3 and fanless

ASUS E35M1-M PRO $169 matx

probably overkill since it is powerful enough to play bluray although not 3d

4 sata ports

Gigabyte GA-D525TUD mini-ITX

both will use somewhere around 30w just add a stick of ram hdd and psu

If you get a NAS, don't buy a WD MyBook World - the copy speed is HORRENDOUS on them

Thanks for the replies, yes Dasa I was looking at some E350 options, seems the goods, I might pick one up new and buy second hand RAM/case/hdd or something.

I'll hunt around.

I don't think I'll be using bluray quality video, but later on it could add a GPU I guess.

Alright, I decided after hearing about the E350, it was the goods.

I can't be bothered buying piles of 775 bits for almost the same cost as an E350 mobo and possibly from different sellers, postage to Tassie adds up fast.

So I ended up with this from PCCG, my roommate and I went halves

Posted Image

Case in question has 2 3.5" bays, but two 5.25 bays so I can sit drives in there if I get desperate later down the track

Posted Image

Edited by Morgoth

Should do the goods ok, I'm using the Asus E35M1-M mobo with WHS V2 for a file server and stuff. Just got 2 x green HDDs in it to keep the power consumption down.

Thinking of doing another box with similar specs for an HTPC so I can replace the PVR and BD player with one box.

Let us know what you think of the case as this is the stumbling block for me. Just can't decide on a case to sit on the shelf above the TV.

I'll let you know how it goes, it's just gonna be shoved somewhere in a shelf on the desk, once it's up and running it will have no mouse/kb/monitor.

I guess I'll setup remote access for me and Ra for torrents on it, then have the torrents move-when-finished into a folder the PS3 Media Server uses.

Well that's the idea.

All sorts of awesome.

I'm planing a fileserver/meia centre and the e350 was an optional build.

Will be interested to see how it performs and how you live with it.

Saw this a bit late. For these builds with a mini/ITX board and lots of HDDs the Fractal Design Array R2 is perfect (although much more expensive).

Edited by SexKitten