chrisg

Sometimes I wonder about cats....

In what amounts to a semi-delirium over the past several days, courtesy of pain killers and anti-biotics I don't think I've posted on this, although I think I have referenced it.

I've had cats all my life, now down to one, a very beautiful boy, but his dad is not too happy with him at the moment.

About ten days ago he did the cat dance through the legs thing for food that anyone owned by a cat is familiar with, except in trying not to step on him I tripped on the step that leads up out of my office area - very open-plan place, the office is carpet, the step and rest of that area is tile.

Face planted with my chest across the step...

Result:

Two stitches in my chin, another scar, but they fade on me, and bruised ribs.

Ah well, had a lot worse, but the cat is being somewhat circumspect after a blast of verbal abuse :)

Biggest annoyance, after my chin stopped aching, is I can't shave my chin, and a goatee is just not me :)

Stitches should be out end of next week coming, I wasn't going to bother but two people, Middy included took one look and next thing I was in a treatment room on anaesthetic and getting needled - I hate needles, but he did a good job - all lined up.

At least nothing broke :)

Cats..... :)

Cheers

In QLD at the moment, they're trying to pass a law that says owners of dogs that attack, cause death to a person, can be put in jail...

so you should be lucky you only own a cat.

:)

He's actually pretty placid, but not around food time, and I'm damned sure cats run on a 22 hour clock when it comes to food. :)

I do however think he's getting a little senile, needs to be reminded where his food bowl is :)

I've no idea how old he is, inherited him from an Atomican in somewhat tragic circumstances many years ago now.

Cheers

nah, I've had to learn to predict imminent death by cat. you need to.

Oh, it's not the first time one has tripped me up - usually I handle a fall fine, just I was already on a very strong anti-biotic to fix a tooth ulcer - which has worked, but one of its side effects is vertigo - great - add cat-have face-plant :)

Eh- he's forgiven - if he ever does it again I'm sure I can find a taxidermist )

Cheers

ROFL!!!!

You can't really mix anti-biotics and alcohol much, so no, I was far from pissed :)

Cheers

Years back my housemate inherited a cat. His owner had tripped on him, broken his neck and became quadraplegic. Take care!

Cats do really need to learn not to damage the food delivery service...

My old cat used to do that, running around meowing... generally being pest at food time.

I do miss her though :(

Honestly I don't know on the alcohol bit but the doc was pretty insistent.

That sounds nasty Komuso - I had one trip me at the top of a flight of stairs once, that was an interesting tumble, but I was much younger and much more flexible :)

Cheers

Mixing alcohol and opiates ie codeine can be dangerous but not with antibiotics. the reason doctor says it is bad is because if you drink booze then the atibiotics are not as effective

Edited by twinair

I've had cats who liked to get underfoot just to show affection, not only when they were hungry. :) I do miss being owned by a cat.

My cat is a vicious killer. It's part of his charm. His favourite food is wild hare.

He once chased a fox.

He once chased two cattle dogs at the same time

He inspires fear.

His name is Kitty.

You do need to wonder about cats, they are little murderers in soft fur coats.

He once chased two cattle dogs at the same time

That's pretty damn cool.

How about this:

Plus, they know how to treat Fox News reporters.

I live next to a golf range that has a sort of mini- native zoo as part of its charm.

Every now and again one of the bigger roos jumps the fence and goes for a stroll - well a hop.

Was coming back from a meeting one day and there's a roo by the fence, with one of my cats looking around the corner at him.

You could just know what the furry bugger was thinking:

"Damn!!! That's the biggest mouse I've ever seen - now, how do I kill it?" :)

They really can be stone-cold killers, although my boy is pretty good, knocks off the odd bilby every season - have a family of them in the garden, but we'd be awash in Bilby's by now if he didn't I guess :) He's also good with snakes and I have no problem with that - but his best mate is a stumpy-tailed lizard who appears about now every year :) They literally laze out front sunning themselves together.

Chin is nearly healed, stitches out later this week, might just do that myself, hardly difficult.

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

ROFL!!!!

You can't really mix anti-biotics and alcohol much, so no, I was far from pissed :)

Cheers

fyi : this is a well publicised bullshit, with the exception of imidazoles (flagyl and the ilk, which block "normal" metabolism of etoh leading to a toxic hangover); penicillins, cephalosporins, various mycins and tetracyclines are pretty inert in interaction with alcohol

wrt cats :

they will weave under your legs like a 4 year old and trip you over

they will sit at the door until you open it, where after they will sit directly in the doorway, obstructing any chance of closing it until you kick their arse out

they will stretch under the bedclothes and inadvertently claw you in the goolies (or worse)

they will appear with eyes like saucers on the stairs, and proceed to gallop up and down with noises usually requiring work boots to produce, looking to all extents like they are paranoid on ice

i love cats :)

You're the doc Scruffy, I just follow orders.

For the record it was Erthromycin I was on 250mg. prescribed by a dentist, seems to have worked on the abscess. Odd side-effects though, vertigo, nausea etc. I can't or rather prefer not to risk penicillin, had some large doses of it years back and reacted very badly.

I love cats too, never been without at least one. :)

Cheers

my bloody cat just wants the door open, not necessarily to go in or out...

Mr G, I am glad you started this thread :-)

I don't actually know much about cats. We were a dog family when I was growing up, and I'm still very much a dog person. I can't read cats, and being around them tends to make me sneeze, but I like them well enough :-)

Cats are weird, or I live in an area populated by weird cats :-) Either way, it's good :-) I took up jogging a few months ago most times I go, I end up coming across 3 black cats hanging out, having a little parliament amongst themselves. This road, that road, it doesn't matter. 3 black cats, together, nearly every time.

Since I don't know much about cats, maybe someone can enlighten me... My neighbours have this beautiful, deep brown long-haired cat that often hops over the fence and potters around my courtyard. What I can't figure out is why he'll wander over to me, and when he gets near me, he drops on the ground, rolls onto his back and starts twisting himself up - what's that about?? I don't know enough about cats to know why he does that every time I'm near him! :-)

I spent some time quietly acclimatising him to my presence so I didn't scare him off, and if I'm sitting outside he'll come over and do his little cat thing - but what's with the twisting? And it's only me he does it with, I've tested with a gentle male but he doesn't do it with him.

He also likes to sit facing one of the corners and just stare up at... I don't know what he's staring at, just the leaves on the shrubbery, but he's very interested in whatever it is. I prefer to think there's faeries amongst the leaves :-p He also gets a bit freaked out when I do yoga, though; he peers at me and I swear he looks surprised or confused :-)

Ah, he's a weird cat :-) They are majestic and interesting creatures, although I must admit that I am, at heart, a dog person (and a puppy personality! :-p ).

the twisty cat thing says "i'm gorgeous, you look friendly, you can admire me showing off my twisty cat performance"

generally this is a sign that the cat in question is comfortable in your presence, but if you approach it may run off

you need to squint at it repeatedly (not stare, which is rude and confrontational to a cat, but squint by almost closing you eyes, preferably repeatedly but never opening them wide)

if the cat is receptive you can try patting it, initially along the neck and back

it may go into mega-twist mode and purr a lot - you have made a friend

alternatively, it may suddenly roll over and grab the offending arm and fang you

this isn't necessarily violence, but it may draw blood... the cat is saying, "you can look, but i never said you could pet me"

some cats are just like that; they are the feline equivalent of a nubile young thing that likes to be seen to be attractive but doesn't actually mean you can get in her pants

some cats are sluts, but all of them have a fine sense of your intention if you aren't sincerely approaching them as a friend

additional comment :

i grew up with cats (and the occasional dog, but always cats, which i prefer

dogs are the yes men of the animal companion world; cats will quite happily ignore you if they don't care, or come and be your best companion once you establish rapport - but they are highly variable

when i lived in a flat, jasper (a blue russian) would always visit after i finished night duty, and just hang in the flat with me for company, often sleeping on my knee; he always shunned food or drink, and would go to bed with me in the early afternoon till my girlfriend came home from college, when he would leave and go home for dinner - he was a lovely creature, and when his owner moved i was seriously considering abducting him - his owner was an air hostess who was rarely home, and he was obviously well cared for but loved companionship

another visitor, jimmy the cat, was black and white like postman pat's cat on tele - he would occasionally come in, but was much more aloof although he liked to come inside and just check it out on relatively brief visits

on one occasion a friend and i were playing backgammon, and the friend (a dog man) made increasingly disparaging remarks about jimmy being stupid and useless (as he thought all cats were)

i pointed out that cats are quite sensitive to attitude and he told me that cats had no idea about what was being said

i again warned him that they are quite aware of tone of voice and moreso the vibe of cat-unbelievers

he then looked at the cat and said "you are too stupid to understand a thing"

at which point jimmy walked directly over to him and bit him (hard enough to draw blood) and then puffed up as if to say "wanna try me?"

i had to chase him out of the flat; i am certain he would have regrouped and attached himself like the thing in alien given half a chance

on several occasions como (our tabby through my years from 11 till probably my 30's) chased away dogs large enough to frighten me - i recall a full grown alsatian back down (and sensibly so because he was quite an imposing creature, and could do the business he looked like he meant); he also used to walk several hundred metres to the main road with me when i'd catch the bus to uni, and would invariably come and seek me out when i was low just to cheer me up by doing cute cat stuff

he would also respond to a whistle (grew up with a part dingo in darwin); they were really funny together battling in the yard - i can remember clearly the cat shuffling his arse down in the grass like they do when hunting, and the dog running at him full pelt

he launched himself vertically and twisted midair, landing on the middle of the dog's back and attaching himself like a jockey for the length of the yard as the dog went completely crazed

they were actually great friends and used to sleep together

Edited by scruffy1

<3 Cats as well

the twisty cat thing says "i'm gorgeous, you look friendly, you can admire me showing off my twisty cat performance"

generally this is a sign that the cat in question is comfortable in your presence, but if you approach it may run off

you need to squint at it repeatedly (not stare, which is rude and confrontational to a cat, but squint by almost closing you eyes, preferably repeatedly but never opening them wide)

if the cat is receptive you can try patting it, initially along the neck and back

it may go into mega-twist mode and purr a lot - you have made a friend

alternatively, it may suddenly roll over and grab the offending arm and fang you

this isn't necessarily violence, but it may draw blood... the cat is saying, "you can look, but i never said you could pet me"

some cats are just like that; they are the feline equivalent of a nubile young thing that likes to be seen to be attractive but doesn't actually mean you can get in her pants

some cats are sluts, but all of them have a fine sense of your intention if you aren't sincerely approaching them as a friend

Yeah thats pretty much it. The only thing I would add is, be careful with anything on the chest/tummy/legs and occasioanly the back near the tale. These are the places most commonly to cause my cat to turn from a purry thing enjoying the rub into something that would make the terminator look like a childrens toy. I have found that cats do enjoy a good scratch: under the chin, behind the ears, on the sides of their neck just below the skull, back of the neck and on/justbelow the shoulder blades.

they will appear with eyes like saucers on the stairs, and proceed to gallop up and down with noises usually requiring work boots to produce, looking to all extents like they are paranoid on ice

Posted Image