Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

What are the current expected overclocks?

Where are these processors getting to on average these days. I believe the x6's are in the very low 4ghz range. As for the other two I don't know.

From what i've read the i7 2600k can easily do 4GHz and a good sample can hit 5+GHz

phenom II hit ~3.8-4.2ghz and at the same clock speed are ~50% slower per core than 2500k

2500k and 2600k can reach ~4.2ghz on stock cooling ~4.3-4.5ghz with low v and pll overvoltage disabled

with pll overvoltage enabled standby no longer works but the cpu can often be stable from ~4.7-5ghz and benchmark up to ~5.5ghz how well you do here depends on how lucky the chip is and what cooling you have

for gaming 2600k is stuff all faster than 2500k

its only real advantage is ht for encoding tasks

I'll try my 965 this week sometime, but from memory mine will only get 4GHz. I know some have got them up to around 4.2GHz, but that is generally as high as any Phenom II will go with "normal" cooling

Yeah, I overclocked my 2500k/asrock extreme3 gen3 to 4.5 basically via facerolling in bios. People aren't kidding when they say these are easy to overclock. I have literally put in 0 effort, and no doubt this thing could go far higher. Even with a motherboard that people have reported having trouble overclocking with.

I'm using the same board - seems okay

I just bought/put together:

2500K/ Asrock ext3 Gen3/ 8G Patriot 1600Mhz/ Corsair Force 120G SATA3/ Gigabyte 6870/ HAF RC932/ Corsair H100

I already had a Corsair HX1000, 6G storage, DVD burner, mem card reader, and SB Ext Audio, which completes the package

it shits all over my old i7 920 setup, which I've basically sold the remaining pieces for $1200, which I'm rather choofed about - not bad for the 920/Megahalems/P6T Deluxe OC/ 6G 1600Mhz G.Skill/ 320G WD HDD/ and a rather beatup SilverStone TJ10!!

:)

2500K/ Asrock ext3 Gen3/ 8G Patriot 1600Mhz/ Corsair Force 120G SATA3/ Gigabyte 6870/ HAF RC932/ Corsair H100

I already had a Corsair HX1000, 6G storage, DVD burner, mem card reader, and SB Ext Audio, which completes the package

it shits all over my old i7 920 setup, which I've basically sold the remaining pieces for $1200, which I'm rather choofed about - not bad for the 920/Megahalems/P6T Deluxe OC/ 6G 1600Mhz G.Skill/ 320G WD HDD/ and a rather beatup SilverStone TJ10!!

what poor bastard got the P6T I sold you which had biscuit pieces in it?

so that's what that shit was? it took me ages to clean your dribble/biscuit residue out of the CPU socket - it blocked off a whole channel of RAM

once that was finally sorted, it was fine tho'

yeh, the bloke who was daft enough to give me $1200 for my gutted old comp now owns it

;)

Edited by osama_bin_athlon

so that's what that shit was? it took me ages to clean your dribble/biscuit residue out of the CPU socket - it blocked off a whole channel of RAM

once that was finally sorted, it was fine tho'

yeh, the bloke who was daft enough to give me $1200 for my gutted old comp now owns it

;)

I dunno what it was, the socket was clean when I sent it, you just said it was biscuit pieces :/

you didn't sneeze when putting the computer together by any chance? :P