Sign in to follow this  
mm80x

quantum levitation

Hm, if this rail was used in deep space without gravity as a concern, would it travel around the rail for a way longer time?

the only reason why it appears to stop is it loses momentum and when it stops being cold enough

Hm, if this rail was used in deep space without gravity as a concern, would it travel around the rail for a way longer time?

it would be friction in the atmosphere causing the slow down

the only reason why it appears to stop is it loses momentum and when it stops being cold enough

True. It loses momentum through atmospheric drag and constantly changing vector on that toroidal track.

If your track was in vacuum and dead straight, the puck would move at a constant speed for as long as the track - provided of course that it stayed cool enough to be a superconductor.

True. It loses momentum through atmospheric drag and constantly changing vector on that toroidal track.

If your track was in vacuum and dead straight, the puck would move at a constant speed for as long as the track - provided of course that it stayed cool enough to be a superconductor.

But then again, if your track was dead straight in a vacuum sans gravity, you wouldn't need it, would you?

Not that new. Well at least for me. Thanks to be in a younger generation got to see levitation using super conductors in HSC physics. Though in their example they used a small magnet over a super conductor.

Also <3 the way the the nitrogen gas causes the gladwrap to puff out to make the thing look like a UFO :P

At 3:34...SCIENCE!

Where is your god now?!

That could be an explanation how UFO's fly...reports about hovering disks that seemed to move in the same way this is...the Earth's magnetic field is the static magnet, on board the craft is the electromagnet in a superconductive state, then a form of propulsion is added, plus Room for occupants and voila!

That could be an explanation how UFO's fly...reports about hovering disks that seemed to move in the same way this is...the Earth's magnetic field is the static magnet, on board the craft is super conductor, then a form of propulsion is added, plus Room for occupants and voila!

Fixed!

Electromagnets are different to super conductors ;)

so the superconductor disk isn't magnetic?

No. Its been 2 years since I've had to write about this (and when we did it wasnt in huge detail), so excuse my vauge explanation.

A super conductor itself is a mixture of materials.[using wikipedia: yttrium barium copper oxide ]. The one I've seen, it a rather brittle ceramic like substance. When cooled below a certain temprature, they enter their super conductive state.

Here electrical resistance is practically 0 (for different reasons).

When a magnetic field passes through the superconductor, it causes the superconductor to create an exact image of the current (or something along the lines of this. I cant recall the reasons why).

This is what causes it to levitate in the position you place it in (I would assume there are limits depending on shape. I expect that making the disk perpendicular would not work very well).

That said, they can be used to make power electromagnets, but that is not the effect we are seeing here.

Now that I've written that, Im gonna go found out what wikipedia says....

Superconductors may be considered perfect diamagnets (μr = 0), as well as the property they have of completely expelling magnetic fields due to the Meissner effect when the superconductivity initially forms. The levitation of the magnet is further stabilized due to flux pinning within the superconductor; this tends to stop the superconductor leaving the magnetic field, even if the levitated system is inverted.

These principles are exploited by EDS (Electrodynamic Suspension), superconducting bearings, flywheels, etc.

In trains, a very strong magnetic field is required to levitate a massive train, the JR–Maglev have superconducting magnetic coils. JR–Maglev levitation is not by Meissner effect.

------------------------

Theory:

Fritz London and Heinz London developed the theory that the exclusion of magnetic flux is brought about by electrical screening currents that flow at the surface of the superconducting material and which generate a magnetic field that exactly cancels the externally applied field inside the superconductor. These screening currents are generated whenever a superconducting material is brought inside a magnetic field. This can be understood by the fact that a superconductor has zero electrical resistance, so that "eddy currents", induced by the motion of the material inside a magnetic field, will not decay. Fritz, at the Royal Society in 1935, stated that the thermodynamic state would be described by a single wave function.

"Screening currents" also appear in a situation wherein an initially normal, conducting metal is placed inside a magnetic field. As soon as the metal is cooled below the appropriate transition temperature, it becomes superconducting. This expulsion of magnetic field upon the cooling of the metal cannot be explained any longer by merely assuming zero resistance and is called the Meissner effect. It shows that the superconducting state does not depend on the history of preparation, only upon the present values of temperature, pressure and magnetic field, and therefore is a true thermodynamic state.

But then again, if your track was dead straight in a vacuum sans gravity, you wouldn't need it, would you?

I did not say anything about gravity. With gravity, the quantum locking effect would keep the puck levitated and thus avoid friction from the track. Without gravity, there would be no friction from the track anyway. In either scenario, air drag is thus left as the deciding factor.

Actually, that might not be quite true. There may be an issue with magnetic 'drag'. I don't think eddy currents would occur in a superconductor, since it excludes the magnetic field entirely, but I don't know enough to say one way or another.

I did not say anything about gravity. With gravity, the quantum locking effect would keep the puck levitated and thus avoid friction from the track. Without gravity, there would be no friction from the track anyway. In either scenario, air drag is thus left as the deciding factor.

Actually, that might not be quite true. There may be an issue with magnetic 'drag'. I don't think eddy currents would occur in a superconductor, since it excludes the magnetic field entirely, but I don't know enough to say one way or another.

You can clearly see in the video that if he tilts the platform gravity still affects the motion of the puck. If you used the rail as a means of avoiding the trajectory being altered by gravity, you would still find that the energy needed to exit gravitational fields would reduce the momentum of the puck.

I like the potential of future trains using one track but giong both ways at once.

Or have a virticle track and have 'trains' going either side of a magnetic wall.

That could be an explanation how UFO's fly...

No, it's more like surfing gravity waves.

PS: Gravity guns are the ultimate super weapon.

Edited by Virtuoso

You can clearly see in the video that if he tilts the platform gravity still affects the motion of the puck. If you used the rail as a means of avoiding the trajectory being altered by gravity, you would still find that the energy needed to exit gravitational fields would reduce the momentum of the puck.

I've read that several times and I'm still not sure what you're talking about. As near as I can figure, you're either discussing gravity gradients (going in and out of gravity wells), or a gravity field not perpendicular to the track (which is a subset of the previous, really). Either way, the gravity is then effecting the puck, not fricative forces. I don't think anyone has suggested that merely levitating the thing would provide magic propulsion.