Sign in to follow this  
Ratternoss

Hard drive caddy for HP N36L microserver

I have the HP microserver proliant N36l, and have been unable to find any info on the standard hard drive caddies that came with the server.

I'd like to have a few spare caddies to hotswap over hard drives as I need. I can't however find a model number for the 3.5in caddy that is standard with the machine.

As its my first server, I know nothing about hard drive caddies. Can anyone tell me what generic 3.5inch caddies might fit inside the HP N36l server.

Below is a link to a picture of the standard HP hard drive caddy -

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT...WBp471EPori1pPw

Will see what I can score. Maybe none, maybe some.

What is an ideal number for you?

Just FYI - the drives in the N36L are NOT hot swappable! So remember to shut it down before pulling a drive out!

Yeah it's a shame, but apart from that it's a pretty solid little server! I've got one at home and love it. I'm tempted to buy a few, fill them up with RAM and run a low powered VMWare cluster....I just need to find a use for it! haha

My bad, I didn't mean hotswap, I meant quick swap (ie turn off, then swap HHd without having to unscrew caddy and put a different HHd into the caddy)

I'd like to be able to replace 3 hard drives fast, so 3 caddies would by ideal, 2 would be better than 1, but 1 is ok :)

So far the HP server is running great, I put 8gb ram in it and it runs sweet.

Yeah it's a shame, but apart from that it's a pretty solid little server! I've got one at home and love it. I'm tempted to buy a few, fill them up with RAM and run a low powered VMWare cluster....I just need to find a use for it! haha

To bad they dont support pass-through hence why I sold mine and made a proper lab.

Sorry mate. We only have spare IBM stock. All HP gear is in use or already gone.

I just scored an awesome rack mount power board though :)

You don't need to buy caddies for the Microserver, regular 3.5" SATA hard drives go in fine to the 4 plastic mounts it has.

I'm just using regular Samsung drives with mine, other people have reported success with WD and Seagate drives.

You don't need to buy caddies for the Microserver, regular 3.5" SATA hard drives go in fine to the 4 plastic mounts it has.

I'm just using regular Samsung drives with mine, other people have reported success with WD and Seagate drives.

Yes but the OP wants the caddies so he can swap HDDs without having to swap them in and out of the trays.

I remember dealing with this same issue, HP want like 50-60 dollars each, managed to pick them up off ebay for like 20 each but they wrought you hard on shipping.

the N36L DOES support Hot-Swap when your operating system isn't a piece of shit. i.e anything but windows.

you can buy the caddies direct from HP, I can check the P/N when i get home if you want.

To bad they dont support pass-through hence why I sold mine and made a proper lab.

Passthrough is easy, you just can't do it through the GUI. probably doesn't help when studying for your VCP I guess

http://rand0mbits.blogspot.com/2010/12/esx...ss-through.html

Edited by Linux_Inside V2

Hi Linux_inside V2

if you had the part number for the plastic caddie, that would be a great help. I can't find it anywhere. (however if they're $50 or $60 each, I'd be better off buying another microserver)

So if you happen to know if any generic caddies would fit inside the microserver, I'd love to know.

Thanks

Looking at the HP Spare Parts website, the HDD caddy part number is 624879-001. Once you put the part into the cart its like $140!!!!

plus on the caddy, there should be a white sticker that would say the part number and replacement part number

the N36L DOES support Hot-Swap when your operating system isn't a piece of shit. i.e anything but windows.

you can buy the caddies direct from HP, I can check the P/N when i get home if you want.

Passthrough is easy, you just can't do it through the GUI. probably doesn't help when studying for your VCP I guess

http://rand0mbits.blogspot.com/2010/12/esx...ss-through.html

LOL I love how quick Linux people are to call Windows Server a piece of shit. It's anything but.

LOL I love how quick Linux people are to call Windows Server a piece of shit. It's anything but.

I'm a windows sysadmin with a few MCPs and almost finished my MCITP qualifications, so that means i'm qualified to say windows is a piece of shit.

it's a pretty standard thing to support, it's an AHCI controller so i don't see how it isn't supported at all. it's ridiculous

Edited by Linux_Inside V2

I'm a windows sysadmin with a few MCPs and almost finished my MCITP qualifications, so that means i'm qualified to say windows is a piece of shit.

it's a pretty standard thing to support, it's an AHCI controller so i don't see how it isn't supported at all. it's ridiculous

Yep me too and totally agree hence me wanting to branch out onto other horizons. :)