Sign in to follow this  
Takoma

A portrait of an ex-gamer

I've felt for a while now that my passion for gaming is on the decline. My interest in new titles has been steadily decreasing of the last few years, and I'm finding it harder and harder to spend more than an hour at a time playing any one game. There are exceptions to the rule of course, with GRiD, Arkham Asylum and new titles in the Half Life universe being shining lights in a sea of mediocrity. Overall, however, I fear the my time as a gamer is coming to an end, and I shall play out the remainder of my gaming life as a collector, rather than a participant. With this in mind, I've delved into my Steam list and used the figures there to paint a picture of my gaming life since I signed up in 2007. My list is long, and expensive, but of my love, it holds so very little. Let's have a look at the state of the play, so to speak, as described in the universal language.

Number of games: 127

Calculated value: $1539.99 USD, $1,500.08AUD

Total time played: 517.8 hrs (21.5 solid days)

Games never played: 33 (25.9%)

Games played under 1hr: 37 (29.1%)

Games played under 5 hours: 22 (17.3%)

With these figures in mind, I think it would be a fair to assume that of my 127 games, I didn't like 92 of them, or 72.4%. It bears mentioning however that this list does not include games played outside of Steam, or the significant amount of time spent on my emulators. It does reinforce my well-earned reputation for spectacular taste, but that is a thread for another day. Let's look a little closer....

Top five games, by time invested: GTAIV (78.4hrs) GTA: San Andreas (56.9hrs) Street Fighter IV (38.6hrs) Just Cause 2 (34.4hrs) GTA: Episodes From Liberty City (30.3hrs)

Time spent playing top five games: 238.6hrs, or 46% of my total Steam game time.

I was a little surprised at this, as the IV-era GTA games aren't my favourites. It needs to be said though that the vast majority of my GTA:SA time was played on my disc version a few years ago, with the Steam time coming as a fit of nostalgia quite recently. If you look closely, you might also be able to surmise the mechanism by which I'm able to be so much better than you at Street Fighter. Hard yards, baby. All in all though, I feel that the overwhelming majority of the underwhelming titles speak with one voice to a fact: Save for a few pronounced highs, my gaming career has hit an all time low, and it may well be time to put that puppy to sleep.

T'was good while it lasted though, no?

This is news to you just now? You haven't realised this already, even with your constant dislike and most games coming out.

I will say this man, you have good taste in the games you played the most but bad taste overall, if that makes sense. I'm sure there will be games coming out that you will buy and play anyway, regardless of this suppesed epiphany.

And I will beat you at them :D

You dirty casual.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, Tak, except for the taste thing. Holy god damn, that taste thing.

Mostly, my decline in gaming has been the result of my 3-year hiatus from online life. I missed out on many huge games that I would no doubt have enjoyed, just cos I was stuck without internet to learn or give a damn about them. And also the fact that all games require online activation or actual gameplay.

The last time I was really playing games at a level that took up most of my time was around Oblivion. I had a few big stints of that, but it was pretty much the last game that would make me throw away ten hours in a day and wonder why it's dark outside. I played a shit ton of LAN games with friends like Call of Duty 2 and 4 and Battlefield 2. I have played the single player campaign for those CoD games easily 50 times each. Actually I rarely replayed about half of CoD4, but hammered the other half.

But since moving house and having a gaming-capable net connection, I've found myself unable to get into it. I've made good on many a Steam sale, but have yet to even play 75% of my spoils. I probably never will. I've given online games like Bad Company 2 a hell of a go, but it more often bores and frustrates me than truly entertains. With friends on Skype, it's most certainly a blast, but even then I'm bored after an hour or two.

I have hope for the current crop of games. Arkham City is sure to thoroughly occupy me for a few days. Battlefield 3 will provide months of rage. Skyrim should theoretically offer similar immersion and timesuck as Oblivion did, but I'm doubtful it will have the same impact. I just have other shit to do with my time these days.

I mean I just got a new book and fuck typing this shit, I'm going to bed and reading that.

Nice read Takoma, thanks for sharing.

I think I stopped being a gamer probably when I was about 15, when I stopped playing a varierty of games I had on my cassette for my C64. Back when time started to become important for studies and I couldn't afford to buy games.

I played ALOT of CS and Half Life in the late 90's and I played the absolute shit out of World of Warcraft. I think I easily sunk 300 hours into that game alone, up to the point I stopped played, on release of the latest expansion. Of my Steam games, I have about 15. I sunk over 250 hours into F1 2010 and so far I've put in 60 hours in F1 2011, since it's release on Sep 23rd. I also play iRacing ALOT, maybe dropping 15-20 hours a week since January.

The other steam games, I've spent no more than 10 hours in each game excep Half Life 2 and the rest of the Orange Box, which copped about 30 hours between them all. Dirt2, Dirt3, NFS:S2, TDU2 (notice a theme? car games pwn. always have!). I'm not calling myself a gamer anymore because I don't play a variety of games. I don't want to. I want to paly 1 type of game and I really only play 2 games at all.

I've felt for a while now that my passion for gaming is on the decline. My interest in new titles has been steadily decreasing of the last few years, and I'm finding it harder and harder to spend more than an hour at a time playing any one game. There are exceptions to the rule of course, with GRiD, Arkham Asylum and new titles in the Half Life universe being shining lights in a sea of mediocrity. Overall, however, I fear the my time as a gamer is coming to an end, and I shall play out the remainder of my gaming life as a collector, rather than a participant. With this in mind, I've delved into my Steam list and used the figures there to paint a picture of my gaming life since I signed up in 2007. My list is long, and expensive, but of my love, it holds so very little. Let's have a look at the state of the play, so to speak, as described in the universal language.

Number of games: 127

Calculated value: $1539.99 USD, $1,500.08AUD

Total time played: 517.8 hrs (21.5 solid days)

Games never played: 33 (25.9%)

Games played under 1hr: 37 (29.1%)

Games played under 5 hours: 22 (17.3%)

With these figures in mind, I think it would be a fair to assume that of my 127 games, I didn't like 92 of them, or 72.4%. It bears mentioning however that this list does not include games played outside of Steam, or the significant amount of time spent on my emulators. It does reinforce my well-earned reputation for spectacular taste, but that is a thread for another day. Let's look a little closer....

Top five games, by time invested: GTAIV (78.4hrs) GTA: San Andreas (56.9hrs) Street Fighter IV (38.6hrs) Just Cause 2 (34.4hrs) GTA: Episodes From Liberty City (30.3hrs)

Time spent playing top five games: 238.6hrs, or 46% of my total Steam game time.

I was a little surprised at this, as the IV-era GTA games aren't my favourites. It needs to be said though that the vast majority of my GTA:SA time was played on my disc version a few years ago, with the Steam time coming as a fit of nostalgia quite recently. If you look closely, you might also be able to surmise the mechanism by which I'm able to be so much better than you at Street Fighter. Hard yards, baby. All in all though, I feel that the overwhelming majority of the underwhelming titles speak with one voice to a fact: Save for a few pronounced highs, my gaming career has hit an all time low, and it may well be time to put that puppy to sleep.

T'was good while it lasted though, no?

Im thinking that BF3 (and Skyrim) will be my last hurrah. I just dont have the time anymore.

Yup. Used to play for fun, now it's just to kill time..mostly. Spent lots of man hours with Commander Keen, Kings Quest 6, Wizball and others like them, way dated by today's standards but also much MUCH more fun. Games have unfortunately gone the way of movies.

Have ordered BF3, and will probably get ME3 for junior but there's nothing else on the horizon ATM.

wow, i'm almost the opposite.

I own WoW with +120hours, clocked up since vanilla (ice ice baby)

Jedi knight: jedi accdemy, Kotor, Kotor:II, mass effect, guitar hero III.

and I have yet to install ME II, but I will as I almost have L60 in ME I.

I very quickly uninstalled jedi knight: outcast.

I feel all abnormal posting so few games....

Interesting Tak. I've been feeling the same as late, yet I'm not time poor at all and I have a massive list of games.

Steam says 415 games (but that includes DLC, so its maybe just under 400 in reality) out of those 400~ I have finished less than 20 and played a total of 1837.36 hours, which is fuck all. Top contributors being CSS, GTA4, L4D2, L4D and GTAEFLC in that order.

Although steam hasn't always tracked time stats, so its a bit skewed, which is why I have my Xfire profile here to help me out, I basically stopped using it when steam started keeping time.

Doesn't tell me how many games I have played, but I think its around 200 or so on there, with a total of 6,767 hours. Top contributors are:

World of Warcraft - 2,528 hours

Counter-Strike: Source - 1,227 hours

Neverwinter Nights - 404 hours

Garry's Mod - 133 hours

Counter-Strike 1.6 - 129 hours

This is from around 2004 until 2007~ give or take. I've used it since then, but only for COD4.

So out of my (I know there dupes on xfire and in my steam list) 500~ games, I've played just over 8500 hours in 7 years. or 354.16 days. So I'm a few hundred hours off spending a year of my life in the last 7 years playing games :P

Steam calculator says I have 275 games, don't think it counts free games or something though, total worth of just over 4.5k though

A couple of years ago I was over games. Not much good available at the time.

Back into it now, still a little bored. BF3 will change that though.

Taking about time wasted playing games... looks at the hundreds of days clocked up on multiple wow accounts... before even looking at steam *whistles* I haven't played in a long time though, i swear!

Edit: In addition, I too have been less interested in most games recently, with a few exceptions. I have plenty of spare time (usually) just spend it doing other things. I had written it off to growing up, as im almost 24 now, have my own house and responsibilities. Sometimes takes the fun out of games when you got other worries.

Edited by p0is(+)n

heh 46 years old here and still playing Eve Online after almost 3 years. Before that it was Age of Conan for a year, and Supreme Commander for a year before that, with Portal and Commandos 1-3 peppered in between.

My son has about 800 hrs clocked up in Team Fortress 2.

Age of Conan for a year

I don't know anyone that really played that. I always wanted to try it before it came out but was never able to. My mate gave it a go once or twice but wasn't able to devote any time to it so never bothered. Is it still going or what?

I've also been playing eve online, now almost 4 years. Disregarding eve, since 2006 here is a comprehensive list of games I have found either fun or immerse:

1. Mass effect 1

2. Just cause 2

Everything else has been met with either near instant disgust or a brief infatuation followed by either complete apathy or outright dislike.

At first, I wondered if I was growing too old for gaming, but the recent discovery of alpha protocol followed by the realisation that I started playing at 2pm, and its now midnight, has convinced me that infact the problem is that noone is making games that I like.

Age of Conan for a year

I don't know anyone that really played that. I always wanted to try it before it came out but was never able to. My mate gave it a go once or twice but wasn't able to devote any time to it so never bothered. Is it still going or what?

Yeah its still going...been an expansion or two, and a lot of server merges...apparently its really good now. MMO mag gave it a really good review. I keep in touch with some old guild mates. The game has changed a lot. Its free to play, but microtransctions for unlocking higher content and characters etc...

I played from pre-release, it was real buggy at first, mostly graphics drivers issues, but I stuck with it...go a lvl 80 Conqueror to Tier 2 raid fit...had some awesome moments, mostly guild raids when we got server firsts to down certain bosses after failing for many attempts.

I enjoyed it...it was my first MMO. But the game got real boring at lvl 80 because there was no content to do...just raid regularly, or pvp.

Edited by Antraman

I've also been playing eve online, now almost 4 years. Disregarding eve, since 2006 here is a comprehensive list of games I have found either fun or immerse:

1. Mass effect 1

2. Just cause 2

Everything else has been met with either near instant disgust or a brief infatuation followed by either complete apathy or outright dislike.

At first, I wondered if I was growing too old for gaming, but the recent discovery of alpha protocol followed by the realisation that I started playing at 2pm, and its now midnight, has convinced me that infact the problem is that noone is making games that I like.

I been feeling this way for some time my self, have 169 games on my steam and another 10 not insteam.

Right now I want to game on, but what to choose from and been stuck on warcraft off and on since beta and before that, I like the BF series and some other games mentioned in this list including GTA series. I figure that with the ageing of games between old and new gamers, we expect with old to new games we want the same quality but instead we got quantity plus better graphics development, over all developing trying to work with pleasing both crowds, really never met alot of our expectations but only a select few companies did using their original formula and blue prints to keep us happy which is great. Admittedly with online gaming the culture in it self is a double edged sword, you get good people to hang out with and play and just idiots as well, one aspect of i never liked but grew custom with as internet grew over the years of gaming.

Long story short i like my games but feel like i have given them a break, real life goes on and comes first like our jobs, moving houses and just the general stuff, it happens to all of us.

I'm not too sure if I can even stop playing games. Maybe, even if I'm already 50 years old I will still play new games being released that time.

A person may not feel tired of playing, it's just that sometimes time won't allow or priorities have changed that your play time is being taken away from you.

I believe playing these video games is not indiscriminate when it comes to age.

Playing is one of the best times of my life and I cannot regret having to spend several hours a day feeling so well in front of my monitor keeping my fingers busy.

Yeah i found the same thing... I pretty much stopped gaming for a couple of years, and now only game a few hours a week, and TBH, because I use it to relax I enjoy it again...

It's when it's ALL you do is when you find you get tired of it....

BF3 has me interested and I'm enjoying maybe a relaxing couple of hour every other night just chillin n fraggin... give it a rest.

I pretty much don't play games at all any more. I find it really boring going around shooting people, or flinging birds at pigs, or whatever. Makes my brain turn to moosh. I'd much rather spend my time writing software, which I find a lot more enjoyable. Not only do I actually achieve something, but 'winning' means I have something to show for my efforts. Achievement unlocked: software you can make money from. Real money.

That being said, if I'm sick or feeling particularly lethargic, I might pop on a game which requires no thinking so I can listen to some netcasts in the background. Racing games are good for that.

I don't think I'll ever stop playing games to be honest. Games and music have always been my two go to things when I'm either bored, or need to blow off some steam from the stresses or the shitty people of every day life. Other people use exercise, other hobbies, etc... Gaming is one of mine.

I've probably sunk 250-300 days total into WoW since release, have played on and off since WotLK, barely play it anymore. That probably includes quite a few days of botting my toons though (yes, I botted for a while, shoot me lol.)

I would say the need for playing games for me has faded. Like if I go without a game for several weeks I don't feel withdrawals at all. I just don't think I'd ever want to give them up. They are just too relaxing.