Sign in to follow this  
NukeJockey

How much space does a PM take up?

As above, we have a limit on our PMs, my inbox hit full last night so I deleted a page of messages, but it left me wondering, is there a limit on the amount due to space? I imagine with the amount of active members if everyone had unlimited inbox space it would take up a bit of space, either that or I have no idea what I'm talking about.

So, are we limited to 1000 PMs due to space? Or can we up it a bit? >.>

Well if a PM is the size of a txt file. A decently sized one is about 5KB.

5KB*1000=5000KB

Bit under 5MB

5MB * how many users?

Well if a PM is the size of a txt file. A decently sized one is about 5KB.

5KB*1000=5000KB

Bit under 5MB

5MB * how many users?

Theres nearly 50,000 registered, no idea about active ones though.

So thats roughly 250gb?

I think they could easily add a few zeroes to the end of those numbers.

Or we could pay to upgrade our inbox.

Or we could pay to upgrade our inbox.

Feel free to forward checks made to CASH (Corporation And Steak Holders (of Atomic PMs Inc)).

We'll look after it for you.

Why do you need 1000 PM's though?

I don't, but at the same time I don't want to delete them because some of them have proved useful before.

For example, while netbanking one day I accidentally transferred money into an account in my address book, didn't recognize the name, went through my PMs, found out it was someone from here who I had bought something off on trademart.

Its not a big issue, was just curious as to why such a limitation was in place at all. Atleast it isn't as bad as OCAU, 100 PM limit or something.

Did you say steak?

Just empty your older PMs. When are you seriously going to read through them all?

Write a PM concatenator app that reads through your PMs and joins them all together, up to the allowable size, and then PMs you each one.

Y'know, every time I see this thread title, I hear it recited in my head in a sing-song voice, "how much space does a PM take if a PM could take space?" and that doesn't make sense, dammit! A PM is not a wood chuck :-(

Edited by elvenwhore

they must think we would bankrupt them in short order if they set the limit to 0 (no limit)

Lol what a funny thread.

I loved this post that you did:

Do you think that when the Nazis started bombing England that the English just shrugged and said "Time to clean out our sovereignty and bow to evil pressure?"

No! THEY FOUGHT!

Fabulous reference to history. Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Just empty your older PMs. When are you seriously going to read through them all?

I would think that the cost of archiving PMs would be trivial compared to, you know, keeping the entire forums since 2001 lying around.

I would think that the cost of archiving PMs would be trivial compared to, you know, keeping the entire forums since 2001 lying around.

Don't be giving them ideas now.