juggtron

Occupy Melbourne

yeah, count me out.

its not his politics that shame Tim Blair. its his offensive lack of anything approaching insight even when making the odd point that might be cogent if it werent so irrelevant. its the dumb-as-fuck absence of pertinence in most of his casual misrepresentations of these protestors, which come off stinking like the routine regurgitations of someone drunk on glib indifference.

even the most right-wing and unsympathetic observer with a brain should baulk at this guy's failure to demonstrate a basic grasp of the breadth of this issue. you dont get to dance unless you pay the piper. when a dog acts like it appears to think its a person, people say "oh look, isnt that cute". when a not-so-bright social commentator thinks he's doing 'biting' satire, its not cute. to everyone else its just an unfortunate and awkward faux pas.

much like Plebs' earnest and oh so pithy statements to the effect that he has 'no idea' what these people are protesting about. yep, he's just got no idea. not even with the aid of the internet can he locate a clue in the form of a representative moderate with sensibly expressed qualms. psst! youre supposed to high five him because the only reason he doesnt know, is — just like you — he doesnt want to know and will probably never want to know as long as he remains personally untouched by misfortune at the hands of systemic corruption. can you feel it? is it not like, a rapier?

Stop wasting your gift in this dump. You should be writing for Crikey or something.

I wish I could put words to my vehement disdain half as well.

Looks like Perth CHOGM is going to be like the Toronto G20 all over - except with less reporting and video footage.

I know 2 hours is a long time but its worth watching

yeah, count me out.

its not his politics that shame Tim Blair. its his offensive lack of anything approaching insight even when making the odd point that might be cogent if it werent so irrelevant. its the dumb-as-fuck absence of pertinence in most of his casual misrepresentations of these protestors, which come off stinking like the routine regurgitations of someone drunk on glib indifference.

even the most right-wing and unsympathetic observer with a brain should baulk at this guy's failure to demonstrate a basic grasp of the breadth of this issue. you dont get to dance unless you pay the piper. when a dog acts like it appears to think its a person, people say "oh look, isnt that cute". when a not-so-bright social commentator thinks he's doing 'biting' satire, its not cute. to everyone else its just an unfortunate and awkward faux pas.

much like Plebs' earnest and oh so pithy statements to the effect that he has 'no idea' what these people are protesting about. yep, he's just got no idea. not even with the aid of the internet can he locate a clue in the form of a representative moderate with sensibly expressed qualms. psst! youre supposed to high five him because the only reason he doesnt know, is — just like you — he doesnt want to know and will probably never want to know as long as he remains personally untouched by misfortune at the hands of systemic corruption. can you feel it? is it not like, a rapier?

Stop wasting your gift in this dump. You should be writing for Crikey or something.

The door's that way, Kimmo.

12.5% of the planets have 71% of the mass.

#OccupyJupiter

Edit: Argh, beaten! :(

Edited by SquallStrife

yeah, count me out.

The both of you are pathetic.

You're quite happy to lecture anyone disagreeing with your liberal elitist views but when it comes to actually doing something about it you go AWOL.

So Kimmo & thehung, if the cause is so righteous that it gets you up in arms why aren't you doing something about it? Why aren't you together with like minded intellectuals bringing about change? It's easy to sit back and spew freethinking rhetoric accross the internet isn't it?

If the world is truely headed down the toilet, get off your arse and fix it.

How do you know they're not?

I would also be interested to learn how Kimmo and @~thehung's views are "liberal" and "elitist".

I would suggest that there are many reasons why people are at this protest, however I also think many are misguided. I would bet that most of the people there have received more benefits from 'the system' than have been victims of 'systemic corruption'.

But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I honestly do not understand how some people live in the greatest country is the entire God-damn universe and they think its not good enough.

Honestly, go live in Jackfuckistan or Central Africa or some other steaming shit-hole for a year. Then come back to Aust-motherfucking-ralia and still think you have any right in the fucking world to complain about your financial standing.

Oh, and the way you complain isn't by actually doing anything, its by sitting in a street and talking about "The Man".

Fuck, people are ungrateful whiny cunts.

'

I honestly do not understand how some people live in the greatest country is the entire God-damn universe and they think its not good enough.

Honestly, go live in Jackfuckistan or Central Africa or some other steaming shit-hole for a year. Then come back to Aust-motherfucking-ralia and still think you have any right in the fucking world to complain about your financial standing.

Oh, and the way you complain isn't by actually doing anything, its by sitting in a street and talking about "The Man".

Fuck, people are ungrateful whiny cunts.

'

Foods, maybe this will interest you:

Capitalism continues despite protests

NEW YORK, USA -- Frustrated protesters have today bemoaned the continuation of capitalism despite their global demonstrations continuing. The protests that started over a month ago on Wall Street, are a reaction to various graphs showing greed and inequality on their x and y axes. The action initially took the form of persistent low-pitch whining noises, but have since escalated to camping and using laptops.

Though over a month into the occupation, and with the movement spreading around the world, many instances of people doing capitalism are still being recorded.

26 year old iPhone user Jenny Yoghurt is one of the ‘Occupy Wall Street’ protesters, and she spoke of her exasperation: “It’s not as if we’re asking for an end to growing-old or plagiarism, we just think profit should be stopped, and we will stay camped here until it does, unless I run out of vacation.”

Celebrity support for the protest has come in quick and fast. Rosanne Barr told the New York crowd that she would immediately cease purchasing. Michael Moore criticised Wall Street for concentrating on finance to such an extent that it no longer contained any walls of note at all.

I am just ignoring these protests until they go away. The world has bigger problems that to deal with a bunch of whiners.

I like how this QC put it.

However the very immaturity of so much student action

makes it all the more important that the police should act in

a restrained manner when dealing with student violence

and provocation. Many student demonstrations pass off

without any violence, or with only some minor scuffle. In

some demonstrations, violence erupts more or less

accidentally. And in others, a group of demonstrators,

generally small in number, deliberately set about to

produce violence. Once violence has commenced, it would

take a well trained and controlled body of police to act in a

restrained way. However that is just what the police should

be. Police brutality can in no cases be justified. Police

violence may in many cases be necessary. Police may often

have to stop students by force from pursuing some course

of action, or may have to remove them by force from some

building or public place. But it is of the greatest importance

both for the community and for themselves that violence is

only resorted to when absolutely necessary, and then only

as far as may be necessary.

It is no part of a policeman's function to punish; his

function is to maintain order. Whilst it may be said that the

natural reaction of a young policeman to student violence

and provocation is violence, and probably excessive

violence, this is the very reaction which should be

restrained and controlled. That it can be done has been

established time and again, not only in London but in

Australia. The necessary restraint and control can only be

obtained by training, and by the

immediate supervision of senior police officers; the control

of demonstrations is a very skilled job, and should not be

handled by amateurs. Policemen are not just ordinary

citizens; they are for most citizens the image of the law. To

allow themselves to be provoked into excessive violence by

students is not only a sign of their own failure, but of a

failure of the law. The cause of the community, and their

own cause, is best served by restraint. It is to be hoped that

this attitude, which they have often put into practice in the

past, will be adopted by them in the testing times which I

am quite sure are to come.

http://www.nswccl.org.au/docs/pdf/Right%20...%20Assembly.pdf

Put this stupid arsewipe on the front line and then see what he says.Armchair fucken lawyers

Put this stupid arsewipe on the front line and then see what he says.Armchair fucken lawyers

If they can't do their job they should quit, I can't smack customers that annoy me and get away with and they shouldn't either.

I would suggest that there are many reasons why people are at this protest, however I also think many are misguided. I would bet that most of the people there have received more benefits from 'the system' than have been victims of 'systemic corruption'.

But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

These forums need a like button ... "like" !!

Everyone needs to stop and imagine what this country would be like without government controls. Anarchy anyone ? Utopia would be nice, but that would only work if the entire world were completely honest, hardworking, unselfish and fair..... and we all know that's never going to happen.

We all have different priorities in life, so who's priorities should be put first ? No matter who you please, someone else will be unhappy with the decision. It is a fact of life that your taxes will be used to pay for something (or someone) not according to your own personal best interests. But EVERYONE will have benefited from this system more than just a few times ... even if the benefit is indirect.

Yes, people have the right to express their point of view, but they do not have the right to force it onto others. Last Friday's display in Melbourne's city square was the latter and the way I saw it ... it was mostly staged. Their week long exhibition did little more than lose the respect of a lot of people scrutinising their issue and their actions.

Last Friday, it was the protesters that surged on the police. The police were protecting property and bystanders. We were on a tram heading toward Swanston street when the erruption occurred and we were trying to decide if we should stay put, or run for cover in the opposite direction. This is not the actions of civilised, peaceful people expressing their concerns.

Ok, so we pay taxes and we pay for goods and services. I believe that's called 'user pays'. We also have a good social security system and anyone who thinks otherswise should step outside Australia for a moment to compare with the rest of the world. Anyone recently checked the percentage of taxes that goes into social security ? If not, you should wander off and have a quick squiz ... and make sure you're sitting down when you do ...

Yes, we are a material civilisation ... and so are most of the Melbourne city square protestors, who were happily chatting on their iPhones, communicating on laptops with usb wifi (yes, I notice these things), whilst sitting around some very snappy camping gear, trying to look shabby in designer sports wear. The only thing I'm concerned about is that I may be paying for their material comforts as well as my own.

Seriously though. Is the idea that our government (so that means all australians) being in debt forever to a private institution with it being absolutely immpossible to pay off ever such an awesome idea? There really is no way in which we can have a currency that is debt-free? Bullshit. So just because I was lucky enough that I came out of a vagina that happened to reside in this great country, means that I should enjoy the fact that all the hard working Australians will forever be paying interest on perpetual debt that was created out of thin air?

Don't get me wrong, these 'Occupy' movements (rather the fuckheads that ruin it for rergular folks) annoy me as much they do some other posters in this thread. But what annoys me more is the shit selfish attitude of "we're ok over here, suck shit for those over there". How about you grow the fuck up and realise we live in system ingrained in it's foundation that those at the very top will continue to create wealth in the best interests of themselves at the expense of everyone else. If you think this global system of economics is good enough than I sure as hell won't feel any sympathy when you depart the living.

/rant

I would also be interested to learn how Kimmo and @~thehung's views are "liberal" and "elitist".

@Nich - instead of explaining the situation and its relevance to us as Australian's/Atomican's we get links. Despite ample opportunity, neither has even hinted at ways to go about a solution.

@Hlass - Post #37 + Post #35

I doubt he would say much, he's been dead for twelve years.

He says that Police should be modelling restraint and patience in this situations. What is wrong with that?

@Nich - instead of explaining the situation and its relevance to us as Australian's/Atomican's we get links. Despite ample opportunity, neither has even hinted at ways to go about a solution.

@Hlass - Post #37 + Post #35

Still don't see the glaring "Liberal" or "elitist" positions in those posts.

Looks like Perth CHOGM is going to be like the Toronto G20 all over - except with less reporting and video footage.

I know 2 hours is a long time but its worth watching

Just watched this.. really excellent and eye-opening. Scary stuff!

I don't by the "We live on the greatest country on earth so shut the fuck up" line some people pull. If you can't voice opposition to the way the system is run then we may as well just fuck the idea of democracy off.

People on both sides of the fence have to accept things they don't like. But one thing they should remain free to do is voice their dislikes.

Australia fared OK during the GFC because, in large part, our government has maintained strong regulation of the financial industry. This is despite Australia having one of the highest rates of personal debt in the world which should go a long way to showing the lenders and bowerers are actually being responsible.

In the US, the middle class has almost been wiped out because of extremely reckless behavior of government, financial institutions, and bowerers. What the OWS protests are a symptom of is a legitimate anger and resentment that institution who shouldered a lot of the responsibility for the GFC have so far taken very little of the burden. Not only that, but CEO's are getting pay rises and bonuses while their own companies financial performance is failing? That shouldn't be pissing off Joe Bloggs, that should be pissing off the investors.

The GFC hasn't finished, we were never out of the woods, and we won't be until some very serious rethinking about how the global financial system is run. That's a legitimate ask. We need to really think about what we're doing in order prevent this happening all over again.

I think it's unfortunately that the very people who should pipe and ask what's going on won't because they either don't care enough, or because they collectively don't know how to articulate properly. OWS and the satallite movements are important because it at least gets people talking. But when you see images of the Solicist Alliance and More-or-less-professional-protestors-for-the-hell-of-it get involved a lot of people simply tune out and the message gets lost.

That is a shame. I've been following the European crisis very closely and we're really not far off another Global crash even worse than the last. There isn't really a precedend for the scale and complexity of the current global financial crisis. The leaders and smart folks are walking blind this time. It could work out OK or it could bring everything down to ruin.

Libertarian and educated must translate to Liberal and Elitist nowadays.

As for relevance to an australian audience - these might:

Big banks head for $24,000,000,000 PROFIT

And what do they do with the profit - reward savers? No. Pay off the Execs and shareholders. All the other stakeholders are chumps.

List of Directors from Commonwealth Bank

(sarcasm)No conflicts of interest there(/sarcasm)

The F35 moneypit

Seriously how much more money do we have to put towards it before we realised we got fucked over

Privatisation

How much privatisation do we need - if things like prisons are privatised, why not the police. What about immigration and schools, taxation and hospitals. Yes some things do need to be done for profit, but much of the strength in Australia can be traced back to the support provided by national concerns. Incidentally what would happen to Telstra if it's market suddenly became totally de-regulated, or the power companies? How would regional Australia fare? With no resource economy we're pretty much all civil servants checking under each others seats for loose change.

I could go on all night like this but i think you get my point that there are still some things to fix in Australia.

@ juggatron, true. Heck, a lot of things are practically money pits but there are things that cannot be fixed because of our system. Sure you can go on about privatisation but I doubt we can have a fully privatisated economy. It just doesn't work.

Libertarian and educated must translate to Liberal and Elitist nowadays.

As for relevance to an australian audience - these might:

Big banks head for $24,000,000,000 PROFIT

And what do they do with the profit - reward savers? No. Pay off the Execs and shareholders. All the other stakeholders are chumps.

hang on a sec .... so, if you invested your hard earned, you wouldn't expect a good return ? wow. you would have to be the exception then. You'll find that all blue chip companies provide good and stable returns on shares, which is why they're ... well, blue chip :) For example, what makes them any different to companies like Rio Tinto ? That's different, I hear you say ? Of course it is !! A healthy profit in a company to signify a healthy and stable economic climate is only appropriate for SOME companies, right ??

Reward savers ? They want free accounts, free use of ATM/Pos, free internet banking, free statements, free lending, free cheques, free cards, the availability of counter staff to chat to ... even on weekends, the right to overdraw their account without being charged, free storage of personal transaction data for a gazillion years, to be demanded whenever they please ... and yep, free of charge, ... AND free protection from fraud and unauthorised use regardless of how careless they've been with their personal details. What more of a reward do savers want ?? Bless their little pink fluffy socks. They can get a free money box if they ask nicely :)

User pays, but too often, they don't ... which is why a lot of others do, to compensate !

This is despite Australia having one of the highest rates of personal debt in the world which should go a long way to showing the lenders and bowerers are actually being responsible.

Just on that one line: Most people are in (long term) debt because they're irresponsible. They buy holidays, lottery tickets, scratchies, cigarettes, and/or a dozen beers every weekend. The idea of budgeting is somehow seen as black magic by most people in this country, as evidenced by the biannual "wondermum" appearing on the tabloid tv shows like TT.

Both mum and I are pensioners (of different stripe), and alone either of us would find life tough. Sharing a place, though, we manage to live practically debt-free. Admittedly, we got lucky enough to come within $20k of paying off all the bills when dad died, but since then it's all bee down to financial self-control. Life isn't the non-stop festival some of my friends live, but we don't have that $150,000 credit card debt one of them does, either.

I don't by the "We live on the greatest country on earth so shut the fuck up" line some people pull. If you can't voice opposition to the way the system is run then we may as well just fuck the idea of democracy off.

People on both sides of the fence have to accept things they don't like. But one thing they should remain free to do is voice their dislikes.

Australia fared OK during the GFC because, in large part, our government has maintained strong regulation of the financial industry. This is despite Australia having one of the highest rates of personal debt in the world which should go a long way to showing the lenders and bowerers are actually being responsible.

In the US, the middle class has almost been wiped out because of extremely reckless behavior of government, financial institutions, and bowerers. What the OWS protests are a symptom of is a legitimate anger and resentment that institution who shouldered a lot of the responsibility for the GFC have so far taken very little of the burden. Not only that, but CEO's are getting pay rises and bonuses while their own companies financial performance is failing? That shouldn't be pissing off Joe Bloggs, that should be pissing off the investors.

The GFC hasn't finished, we were never out of the woods, and we won't be until some very serious rethinking about how the global financial system is run. That's a legitimate ask. We need to really think about what we're doing in order prevent this happening all over again.

I think it's unfortunately that the very people who should pipe and ask what's going on won't because they either don't care enough, or because they collectively don't know how to articulate properly. OWS and the satallite movements are important because it at least gets people talking. But when you see images of the Solicist Alliance and More-or-less-professional-protestors-for-the-hell-of-it get involved a lot of people simply tune out and the message gets lost.

That is a shame. I've been following the European crisis very closely and we're really not far off another Global crash even worse than the last. There isn't really a precedend for the scale and complexity of the current global financial crisis. The leaders and smart folks are walking blind this time. It could work out OK or it could bring everything down to ruin.

POTM.