Sign in to follow this  
DanAus1983

Z5500's as Home Theatre set up

Hi guys.

I might be getting a new Samsung 9 series, and if so, I won't have any spare dough for a receiver and speakers.

I was going to get a PS3 mainly as a Blu-ray player, but Samsung have a redemption atm where you get a free Blu-ray player with the screen.

I'm using headphones atm for my pc as my study is pretty small, so my Z5500's are currently in the lounge room. At the moment I have them hooked up to the dvd player via an optical cable, meaning if I'm not mistaken that it feeds the Logitech receiver a raw digital signal that it then decodes? The Z5500's obviously don't have support for Dolby Tru-HD (or whatever it's called), but if I run an analog cable to them rather than optical or co-ax, will that mean the Blu-ray player is doing the decoding and the receiver/speakers are simply amplifying and outputting the already decoded soundtrack?

I just don't want to have a blu-ray and 1080p screen looking awesome but using the compressed Dolby Digital soundtrack instead of the new format.

PS. I'm no guru on this stuff, so if I've got anything mixed up, let me know!

Cheers, Dan.

Nope, you're spot on.

However, id argue that using the optical with the Z5500's onboard decoder is going to be the best you'll get out of those speakers anyway.

It works, it sounds better than analogue, so dont mess with it.

The beauty of digital is that as you say, its a raw 0's and 1's signal. so it arrives at the speakers EXACTLY as its meant to.

The deocder in the logitechs arent 'bad' at all, (they're no home amp, but they're good) as such, you're taking a single analogue link out of the equation.

Stick with optical man, unless those speakers support any other form of digital, you dont wanna revert to analogue no matter how much better the technology is, the connections will probably drop them.

Hmm, I see... Bugger. I wanted nice tasty uncompressed audio!

Well, I guess I'll play with both and see what sounds best, while I save for a proper AV receiver and speakers.

Cheers, Dan.

you dont wanna revert to analogue no matter how much better the technology is

completely off the op's question, but i have a 1400 dollar hddvd player that say's its better than my 2000 dollar marantz amp when it comes to dacs. running uncompressed 5.1 analogue to my amp does sound a quite a large amount better than running uncompressed hdmi.

ofcourse in the op's situation he cant facilitate 5.1 analogue/hdmi. BUT as a general rule though you should always see whether the source/amp has the better decoding/dac stage and connect appropriately.

back on topic though, M_S is correct though, for your situation, optical is best for you.

well theres one very important thing you fail to consider in that example. the low quality DAC. Which there always is.

Analogue means at LEAST line level sound, eg. audiable. meaning, it has to have been made into actual sound somewhere. and this is done at the DVD player etc.

The love for optical\digital is that, i could have a $10 DVD player with optical and it'd be just as good as a 5million dollar player. Because the data comes in 1's and 0's which they cant get wrong, and the speaker system\amp does the work.

If you use analogue then you have 2 amps to worry about. the pre-amp and the amp.

The example you give misses a step there man. Powered speakers have a built in amp.

Meaning, to compare your speakers (analogue vs digital) you'd have to go:

digital: HDMI > AMP > SPEAKERS

analogue: Analogue of DVD, to analogue IN of AMP > Speakers.

where as the example you explain sounds like an AMPed source, vs the DVD players built in little dacs.

Not a fair comparison there.

Looking at the flowchart thing i did above, you can see by using digital in this situation all you're doing is taking an analogue conversion out of the equation. The ONLY way analogue could ever be better in that setup is if the 'amp' is better at amplifying analogu than it is at decoding digital. But this depends on the DVD player\source outputting GOOD analogue to feed the amp in the first place, where digital doesnt care.

The love for optical\digital is that, i could have a $10 DVD player with optical and it'd be just as good as a 5million dollar player. Because the data comes in 1's and 0's which they cant get wrong, and the speaker system\amp does the work.

i beg to differ, but thats a whole nother topic. there are many, many variables when it comes to transports.

The example you give misses a step there man. Powered speakers have a built in amp.

who said anything about powered speakers

Meaning, to compare your speakers (analogue vs digital) you'd have to go:

digital: HDMI > AMP > SPEAKERS

analogue: Analogue of DVD, to analogue IN of AMP > Speakers.

it goes something like this....

digital: DVD>HDMI>RECEIVER DECODE>DAC/OUTPUT STAGE>AMPLIFY>SPEAKERS

analogue: DVD>DECODE>DAC/OUTPUT STAGE>RCA's>AMPLIFY>SPEAKERS

where as the example you explain sounds like an AMPed source, vs the DVD players built in little dacs.

Not a fair comparison there.

huh?

Looking at the flowchart thing i did above, you can see by using digital in this situation all you're doing is taking an analogue conversion out of the equation. The ONLY way analogue could ever be better in that setup is if the 'amp' is better at amplifying analogu than it is at decoding digital. But this depends on the DVD player\source outputting GOOD analogue to feed the amp in the first place, where digital doesnt care.

well no, you still have an analogue stage, hence the digital to ANALOGUE converter before you amp stage on your receiver. hence why dacs are far more important that decoders.

my statement still stands, my dvd player sounds better converting the digital signal (disc) then sending it via analogue to my amp, than having my amp convert the digital signal from the dvd player. its a different but identical path. Digtal to Analogue.

if the op had a 2000 dollar cd player and hooked it up via optical, then via rca, i can guarantee you that the rca's will sound a damn sight better.

you are over complicating a simple situation, digital isnt better than analogue, and vice versa. the important thing is the dacs. which is why i believe that decoding/dac stage is better on the source, and leave the receiver to amplification.