hsv6978

dead motherboard

Hi i have a gigabyte X58A-UD9 m/b which seems to appear to be dead after a lightning strike in our yard. Just wondering if anyone has ever ra one b4 due to lightning and got their one fixed.

Hi i have a gigabyte X58A-UD9 m/b which seems to appear to be dead after a lightning strike in our yard. Just wondering if anyone has ever ra one b4 due to lightning and got their one fixed.

Well considering its your fault do you really expect them to fix/replace it for you?

I take it you have tested it with a different PSU?

Yep doubt youd get an RMA for lightning or another electrical short - I had an electrical short a couple of years ago that took out my mobo and some other parts - wasnt pleasant - and I couldnt get an RMA on it. I went out and invested in a few of the most expensive surge protectors I could find. Slight overkill perhaps but I dont want that problem again.

But testing with another psu is a good idea if you have one around - also - and this is interesting - maybe change the CMOS battery as well just to see if that helps. Worth a shot I think.

Ok i have a new psu the cpu was fried tried clearing cmos but never replaced the battery. It starts up but wont post.

Ok i have a new psu the cpu was fried tried clearing cmos but never replaced the battery. It starts up but wont post.

What do you mean the CPU is "fired".

Did you test it with another motherboard?

lol

TBH when I was a poor student I once returned a motherboard with some pins (that I had) accidentally pulled out and Gigabyte just sent me a brand new one with the message 'nah your board was fine nub, whatevs'. Which you could argue serves them right for talking ass, but then again it's a tad dishonest to return something you know isn't a manufacturing fault. Also lightning strikes often leave scorch marks.

The board looks fine cosmetically. I took the cpu to the local pc shop and got them to test it. It failed to start up. The lightning strike was weird and came out of nowhere. It hit my dads cb antanna travelled down the coax at the weakest point it split the coax left a burn mark on the house where it enetered the house. it destroyed to switches b4 getting to my 2 pc's . My second pc survived just destroyed the lan ports on the mother board but my good pc copped it. I have been in touch with gigabyte and they hasve been telling me what to do next each step they tell me got me further than the lasst step. They are now telling me i need to rma it. I didnt want to send it just in case they end up sending me a bill thats why i originally asked the question.

The board looks fine cosmetically. I took the cpu to the local pc shop and got them to test it. It failed to start up. The lightning strike was weird and came out of nowhere. It hit my dads cb antanna travelled down the coax at the weakest point it split the coax left a burn mark on the house where it enetered the house. it destroyed to switches b4 getting to my 2 pc's . My second pc survived just destroyed the lan ports on the mother board but my good pc copped it. I have been in touch with gigabyte and they hasve been telling me what to do next each step they tell me got me further than the lasst step. They are now telling me i need to rma it. I didnt want to send it just in case they end up sending me a bill thats why i originally asked the question.

if they said you can RMA they wont bill you.

In any event if they decide to repair a board and then charge you without first telling you then you dont have to pay either as you did not agree to the work being done prior.

if they do repair and you agree then you will have to pay.

Having said that I doubt any one would bother repairing a mobo that has been shot by lightning. Completely unrealistic and uneconomic.

FYI - you can plug co axial into surge protetcors and other kinds of switches. Highly recomened you find some.

Of course if you were using proper safety switches on everything and the lightning still came through then you might be able to have a claim against the manufacturer of said 'safety' product, as all QUALITY switches and protetcors should save you from a strike (might fry the protector though). In fact as an incentive many companys offer an INSURANCE guarantee for the quality of the product where they explicitly agree to pay $xyz in the event that your products are fried when using their product.