meowkitty

GTX470 Torn: the illusion never changed into something real

Hello atomic type persons.

I need help

(der)

I am getting tearing on my dual screen set up. I was gettign it before but now it's just always there, like.

back in the day, at the begining of the year, had a single monitor. LG 24inch thing.

Wow ran fine but Mass effect 1 was tearing. nothing exciting, just if a panned too quick. which is most of the time when you are looking around for things to shoot.

now I have a send monitor, a LG 17inch thing. and Wow tears it up too.

I even had the web browser (opera) on the 2nd monitor do it while scrolling down a web page.

I have driver pack 280.xx, which was the latest 2 weeks ago. I also run MSI afterburner for the fan profiles becasue 83degrees surfing the net is not how I get the room hot. baby.

I have dabbled with OC via afterburner but it's effects on tearing are neglegerbal.

so, 1st. am i over doing it for this card?

any advice on setttings for games, control pannel or card? i seem to keep chasing my tail. *meow* ~(>^.^)>

am I just not overclocking it enough?

clearly, any advice would be awesome. short of going back to single monitor.

system details are in my sig.

Assuming you have tried enabling vsync?

Chuckled at your title.. :)

Edited by chilli

Yeah, tearing isn't a performance issue, it means the frame buffer's contents are changing before the screen is finished being "scanned", resulting in you seeing the contents of two or more different frames during one refresh of your monitor.

Enabling Vsync (and triple-buffering if your drivers provide the option) fixes this by forcing the video card to leave the frame buffer alone until the screen refresh completes. It fixes tearing, but limits the framerate to your monitor's refresh rate.

Edited by SquallStrife

Alrighty, home and can give actual numbers.

here is what I have http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-p...spx?pid=3432#ov

I current switch aero off when wow is on, through the compatibility option on the wow icon right click menus.

Vsync is enabled. refresh is set locked at 60 in game.

Multisample is down at 4x all settings are at games recommended except view distance, which is ultra, up from High.

Tripple buffering is disabled. no foreground FPS limit but I set it to 20ish when in the background.

MSI says I have 680MB mem usage out of the 1280MB on the card.

just when I think I have a lead or feel it makes sence it just ignores my attempts to have other peoples advice fit my situatuion

Yeah, tearing isn't a performance issue, it means the frame buffer's contents are changing before the screen is finished being "scanned", resulting in you seeing the contents of two or more different frames during one refresh of your monitor.

Enabling Vsync (and triple-buffering if your drivers provide the option) fixes this by forcing the video card to leave the frame buffer alone until the screen refresh completes. It fixes tearing, but limits the framerate to your monitor's refresh rate.

Thank you.

Have enabled tri buffering, only disabled it last week anyway. also popped multisample to x8.

edit, and put it back to x4....damn it

Edited by meowkitty