Mr.Twinkie

Overclocking Inquiry

I've been trying some overclocking as a newbie to gear up and get the best possible juice for my Battlefield 3 experience and was wondering about this.

Im overclocking with MSI Afterburner and, AMD GPU Clock tool. I cant modify the voltage on my card probably because its not a reference board, does anyone have suggestions?

If I dont up the voltage and only mess around with core and memory clock speeds, is it possible to do damage to my card? (my card is currently running on 1.09V)

How high were you guys able to get your 5850s up to?

I used AMD Overdrive to do an auto tune and it put my 5850 to 765mhz and 1115 memory clock. I think I should've left the auto tuning happening without my Firefox and download running in the same time.

But yeah would inadequate voltage damage an overclocked card in my circumstances? And any tips would be appreciated in my overclocking crusade.

Also I have an i7 860 if that helps.

overclocking without changing v is very unlikely to do any damage at worst it gets unstable so just lower the clocks till it is stable

when increasing v you need to try keep it cooler so as to reduce the chance of damage being done

overclocking without changing v is very unlikely to do any damage at worst it gets unstable so just lower the clocks till it is stable

when increasing v you need to try keep it cooler so as to reduce the chance of damage being done

I thought that high voltages will degrade a chip even with sufficient cooling?

I thought that high voltages will degrade a chip even with sufficient cooling?

true but since they degrade even at stock v and increasing it just makes it happen quicker the difference it makes is not likely to be noticed unless your feeding it a lot of extra v Edited by Dasa

^^ it's kind of an exponential curve though; electron migration-degredation is very slow at stock volts, but does increase quickly as you push up voltages.

Still takes a long time even at stupidly High V,

Have had a few processors running for 5+ years with very high voltage.

I think it ends up being that most people that are going to go for high clocks will upgrade long before the chip dies.

it is more likely that the overclock will degrade with high v than the chip just up and dies

so after a while you will find its no longer stable at a previous overclock level and have to wind it back a bit or up the v even more which will really speed up the death of the chip once its getting to this stage

My computer kept crashing and restarting during boot. (one time on the welcome screen, another time at the first moments of seeing the desktop and one other time during the windows logo loading.) Is this what you meant by 'unstable' dasa?

that kind of instability is normally not due to gpu overclocking as it gets set once in windows

cpu\ram overclocking if unstable will commonly crate those problems

give prime95 blend a run with realtemp open for cpu stability testing

gpu instability can make your pc crash while the gpu is working but usually it creates artefacts or glitches if you oc to far so simply back of on the oc or improve the cooling and up the v provided you are keeping it within safe levels

Edited by Dasa

Thanks Dasa, will try the benchmarking.

I have the Asus utility that is pretty much Window's power options expect Asus can overclock your stuff a little if you choose the 'Turbo' profile.

I guess overclocking makes those kind of utilities redundant.