Sign in to follow this  
Force

TRUE 120 on i5 2500k

is anyone else running this setup in their rig? im running a thermalright ultra extreme 120 with an antec 3 speed 120mm fan with i5 2500k at 4.5ghz. what temps is anyone running with their overclocks? im running 1.31v LLC lvl 6 and my temps are hitting 77-80c on intel burn test :S. this seems way too high to me for what is supposed to be a exceptional cooler. im even using the revision b bracket which clamps the heatsink down alot harder. possible that ive done the heat paste terribly wrong or are these temps around average for the cooler??

during heavy load tests like that those temps are probably not to bad depending on the rest of your system ie case and heatdump

you have a second fan you can stick to the heatsink? might help a bit

im guessing its much cooler while gaming

i suppose the positioning of my computer leaves much to be desired as it sits in the corner of my room and hot air exhausts into a cornered wall. i will try the 2nd fan trick but i dont have a 2nd pair of the silly clips that hold the fan on. i spose i can dodgy up something. the case is a fractal define xl and i think they do tend to run slightly hotter due to their sound deadening inside the case. as far as air flow goes though it shouldnt be a problem, i have 1x 120mm fan on the front of the case sucking air in, the cpu fan, a 140mm fan on the rear blowing it out as well as a 180mm fan on the top also exhausting air, hdds and psu are in a seperate enclosure at the bottom and all wires are routed behind the mobo. it was hitting 79c when i was playing dirt3 the other day but that was on a higher voltage. i have since played around with it endlessly trying to lower temps. if more fans fail to do anything i suppose i can try lapping HS and reapplying paste. it amazes me when i read others saying yeah i get 60c load temps at same speeds :(

4 cable ties should get a second fan attached to your TRUE without a problem, as that's what I was doing with mine after I modified it to fit over my Corsair Dominator RAM. A second fan does help with temps a little bit, but not a whole lot, your better off trying to get a bit more airflow through the case somehow.

i got some paperclips and made them into something similar like the brackets that hold the original fan on. pretty dodgy but they do the trick haha. temperatures didnt change so i got the shits with it, reset bios to everything auto and dropped clock to 4.4ghz and tested temps. 10-15c cooler ..? at 4.5 it would refuse to boot without cpu pll enabled and either a massive vcore or high LLC setting.... now its happy to chug along 100mhz slower and all settings auto. cpuz and coretemp tell me it runs at 1.38v under load and touchbios + cpuid hw monitor telling me 1.32 so who knows what its really running at

maybe just try get it stable at ~4.3ghz ~1.26v for now

to lower temps you can often lower cpu pll from 1.8 to ~1.7v

make sure qpi/vtt is 1.05v or lower

adding the extra fan should have made ~2-3c difference if the heat was making it to the heatsink effectively

do temps change much with the side panel off and say a desk fan or something blowing in the side? its an interesting test to do as it lets you know what can be gained by improving case airflow

how are idle temps?

look forward to seeing how much difference lapping and remount makes

it would be handy if you had a temperature probe you could stick on the heatsinks base plate

Edited by Dasa

Use hyperpi, better at detecting instability and isn't specifically designed to create unrealistic heat. I don't use burntest for that reason, try running a 32 m hyperpi and report heat loads

i will try 1.26v tomorrow i think im at my daily limit of bsod rage for today :P i dont think that im gonna get down that low though my chip seems to be a bit voltage hungry unfortunately. this board also seems to have a massive amount of vdrop too so no doubt ill have to set it to some far away number to get load vcore of 1.26. ive had idle temps as low as 24c with my aircon on and the computer doing absolutely nothing for 30mins to an hour. i do have speedstep and all that jazz enabled so speeds throttle down to 1.6ghz and 0.9v at idle. here is my hyperpi temps. far better than intel burn test temps. but again the temps have dropped dramatically since i lowered clock from 4.5 to 4.4ghz. might have gone wrong somewhere with my voltages who knows.

Posted Image

notice the huge difference in voltages between hw monitor and cpuz/coretemp?

Edited by Force

Cool, to be honest I'd rather much lower vcore than 100mhz. Intel burn is just that, for burning chips, it's even been known to damage some processors after hard use, albeit not often heard of. Up to 70 c on air seems perfectly fine,

after about 2 hrs of bf3 temps hit 75-78c. not acceptable for the cooler or the clock rate at all. just as bad as IBT really. will try lapping over the weekend i live in townsville and the heat is only going to get worse. mid summer is going to kill my chip!

edit: decided to give the 1.26 volt a quick spin after all, took 1.32v in bios to get 1.26 under load. stable so far and cool. will try these settings for the next few days see if i have any crashes. left cpu pll at 1.8 and qpi at 1.05 for now.

Edited by Force

yer my p67-ud4 2600k when set at 1.32v with llc disabled reports up to 1.3v with light load and drops to 1.26v with heavy load

with that v i can run 4.3ghz with ht disabled

if it passes that test morgoth showed you there is a fair chance it will remain stable

Im using the same cooler (2x 700rpm fans) on my 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.30v-1.34v vcore, 1.9v cpu pll, 1.35v qpi/vtt, 1.3v sysagent, my max temp is 60/61/63/60. You might want to try remounting it, check the thermal paste marks to see if the base is making proper contact with the IHS.

seems i have lost my thermal paste lucky there wasn't much left anyway. ill need to buy some more next week. arctic silver 5 is still everybodys favourite flavour? just noticed we basically have the same computer nobodyishere :P

here is what looks to be a good detailed review with repeat tests for consistency

http://skinneelabs.com/2011-tim-results/2/

another review this one was done with a hsf rather than water like the one above

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/The...uly-2011/1334/1

going by that i would think that with a typical hsf and a cpu that makes less heat the difference between tim is small

but on water with a hot cpu the difference is a bit more noticeable between different thermalpaste

looks like very similar machine to one i just built too.. flavour of the month.

out of curiosity, turn your OC off/down and then check your stock temps. Im using the tiny little POS half size intel cooler at the moment and my temps are under 30c on the CPU idle. Was actually going to chuck my true 120 on the cpu tonight as long as the back plate i have fits so I might be able to give you comparative results.

I would definitely look at remounting the TRUE. A good test is to try and rotate it, and if it slips even a tiny bit, its not on well enough.