Opy

x79 is coming

We've now seen a few of the upcoming X79 motherboards.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/278097,ta...tooth-mobo.aspx

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/278140,lg...p9x79p-pro.aspx

And a number of Gigaqbyte boards can be seen at http://www.tweaktown.com/news/21265/gigaby...lors/index.html

I'm trying not to talk about the Sniper model. I'll just say that that gun should be gold in my opinion.

Ah, the return of the buzz-saw fan. The Sabertooth has brought back a chipset fan as standard. Though a better design than those of old, being a blower off the chip which will make it low enough to not hinder expansion cards.

Both Asus models are similar in layout. I'm liking the 5 4-pin fan headers.

The higher Gigabyte boards are sporting 4 or 5 of the 4-pin fan headers, while the lower end UD5 has only 3 along with 2 3-pin headers.

It seems the x79 has some extra support for PCI-e x4 slots, two ways to access the slot from the little I've read on it, user selectable via BIOS. But none of the boards I've seen actually have these slots. I spent an hour or 2 trying to find a Z68 with an x4 slot a few weeks back. Eventually I found one. It was needed for some Revo style drive I was looking at at the time.

The ability to run 10-port SATA 6 Gb/s drives in RAID array/s is awesome.

I'm liking what I reado of this new chip.

I'd kind of like to see DIMM slots on a daughter board so high RAM heat sinks don't make any extra height. But I'm not sure if this could be done in a reliable way that doesn't hinder bandwidth/bus speed.

I'd also like to see some sort of dedicated chip and socket for fans. Where a single fan socket can run a number of fans and each can be individualy monitored and controlled.

Anyway, from what I've seen visually, before seeing any reviews or even manufaturer propaganda, woops, I mean 'specs', I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte X79-UD7 board.

I like orange ;)

Has anybody heard a reasonably reliable release date for the LGA2011 setups? There are stories varying from November to March on this.

(Thanks for the post relocate, mods. Sorry I made you do work on a Friday)

Edited by Opy

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that fans on a motherboard are a good thing?

In our experience, fans are what made motherboards of old noisy - and were the first thing to fail, often taking the chipset with them if they died unexpectedly (didn't growl like crazy before stopping completely). That also applies to video cards. I see this as a giant step backwards for both Asus and Gigabyte as it appears both companies have hit "the wall" for heat with these board, thus causing them to revert to old ways which are proven unliked by most PC users.

Sorry that I can't answer your question on a release date as we're now officially out of the computer business, and frankly not much about the X79 boards impresses me enough to spend the money for our own systems. :-s

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that fans on a motherboard are a good thing?

In our experience, fans are what made motherboards of old noisy - and were the first thing to fail, often taking the chipset with them if they died unexpectedly (didn't growl like crazy before stopping completely). That also applies to video cards. I see this as a giant step backwards for both Asus and Gigabyte as it appears both companies have hit "the wall" for heat with these board, thus causing them to revert to old ways which are proven unliked by most PC users.

Sorry that I can't answer your question on a release date as we're now officially out of the computer business, and frankly not much about the X79 boards impresses me enough to spend the money for our own systems. :-s

God i hated the 40 mm / 60 mm fans on the chip set,

Guaranteed that any computer over a year old that i fixed would have had the fan start to fail... IMO it was manufacturer failure for lack of lubrication.

They would last another two years with a hit of WD-40.

also waiting on release dates.

the thermal envelope for these chipsets must be high.

goin back to the old days with fans, intresting and suprising move considering HDT and vapour chamber technology could be used.

Oh, Hell no.

I like silence. Those buzz-saws were always horrible. I just think the one on the Sabertooth is better because it's lower profile. I am sure I would remove it if I owned it.

i think fans on m/b's are a good idea if they are required.

what i would like to see is the ability to control the rpm or tell it to keep a certain temp via the efi that way you can have it just ticking over.

looks a bit like a laptop style hsf on the sabertooth

having a big solid centre to it and the sabertooth being marketed as asus high reliability range i would hope that fan will not die any time soon noise is another thing though

fairly sure most higher end asus mb allow you to control the fan speed on all of there fan ports

unlike my gb mb that only has control of the cpu fan and the only way to control it is from bios or with the dodgy gigabte software which has limited speed control options and hard locks the pc if you set a speed it doesnt like

RE- Mobo fan

You guys are worried about noise? The twin 120MM fans on the CPU HSF and triple 80Mm fans of the GPU not to mention the 7, or 8 case fans ranging from 180mm down arent going to be more of a concern?

seriously, these LGA 2011 systems are touted to run very hot, and even watercooling requires fans, larger, faster and louder than that mobo fan..

I disagree wheelz.

Historically, the little chipset fans have been terribly loud due to the speed they have to run at to make a respectable airflow. this is why I refer to them as 'buzz saw' fans.

The main reason bigger fans are more predominant now is because they are a lot quieter for equal or greater airflow.

Not only are the little chipset fans loud but they run at a very annoying frequency, similar to a bunch of pissed off wasps in your case.

Development of fan bearings has come a fair way and I expect costs are down too. So there is a good chance that this blower will be quieter than the old fans, but it really depends on the speed. A great bearing can be silent, but high speeds in such a small area is going to make noisy air.

As there are other board that do not use a fan, I expect the fan doesn't need to run at high speed, it just needs to help the heatsink do it's job. So it might be fine. Won't know until there is a review or some experience.

And you have too many case fans ;)

The Gigabyte GA-6PXSV looks to have a PCI-E x4 slot as well as an x1 slot, old PCI slot and 2 x16s (an x16 and an x8). It also has 2 USB3.0 internal sockets but only 6 SATA ports where many others show 10 to 14 SATA ports.

Intel is seeming to be experimenting with enthusiast boards. Heatpipe and skull cooler to be seen. Only 4 SATA ports may not be enough for many though.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1708/1/

Asrock has come in with some odd, yet attractive heatsinks on thier high end board.

http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/hardwar...d-pictured-full

And EVGA have already designed a Dual CPU board with half the number of RAM slots for 1 CPU??

Posted Image

The little screamer fans on the Sabertooth and R4E are apparently Deltas, which is even scarier. However, the speed profiles of the fans can be controlled within the UEFI setup.

more heat generally means less headroom when it comes to overclocking etc - I think I'll sit this generation out, besides, I'm more than happy with my current SB setup - I can't imagine that you'll be able to OC them to anywhere near the levels of the current i5/i7 SB chips - any performance improvement I expect to pretty well match with a few tweaks.