smakme7757

Crazy price hop in the HDD market.

About 2 months ago i upgraded all my HDDs. I got myself 2x Samsung 2TB drives and 1x WD Black 1.5TB drive for around $400 AUD. Today the same drives will set you back $780 here in Norway due to the flooding in Thailand. That's insane!

Ye thankfully I won't need to buy any hard drives for a little while at least. Got a couple of 1Tb and 2Tb drives spare here that I bought a few months ago.

I got 4 3tb drives for just over $100 each. I dont want to see the price now :)

WTF, 1TB Samsung drives have more than doubled their price to $199 in some shops!

I paid $86 last Tuesday, now $155.73 today in the shop I buy from.

I hope the floods end and the factory's begin production again soon...

As has been posted, its due to the flooding overseas. Personally I'd be holding off purchasing any hard drives for a while (id possible) because it isn't going to be cheap.

Of course the retailers did not mark up their current stock to cash in..............................

Of course the retailers did not mark up their current stock to cash in..............................

Pfftt... of course not, same with fuel and bananas.

Next thing you know there will be outrage and it will be explained away as "Helping" out the <Insert unfortunate persons here>

It's been generally known that the prices were about to skyrocket for a fortnight or more. So I'd say most retailers/distributors were actually being pretty decent about it.

It's been generally known that the prices were about to skyrocket for a fortnight or more. So I'd say most retailers/distributors were actually being pretty decent about it.

And then you woke up to the real world and its business practices. :D

Anyone got a time frame?

Weeks? Months?

One of our suppliers at work said that he thought months :S Pretty shit really.

Having said that, I got all the drives I need a few weeks ago now, so I'm set thank god :D

I would expect 3-6 months. And that's only until they start going down, I expect getting back to previous prices will take up to a year.

Huh?

shame i was just looking at getting a few of those new hitachi 1tb platter hdd for ~$70ea but stock didnt reach au in time

glad i grabbed a samsung usb3 1tb hdd before the price hike so it can help clear some space

at least im not under water though know a lot of people that were badly affected by floods in northern vic a few months back a lot of houses and business went under

a few farms were unusable for months which makes things hard when you have a few hundred head of cattle that need feeding and milking

Might be worth a note to Brissy people that Umart are having a flood sale this weekend including a heap of HDDS's.

Huh?

As in he was dreaming that,"most retailers/distributors were actually being pretty decent about it" and then he woke up to the real world. You young whipper snappers got to explain everything to ya. ;)

Oh! And get off my lawn!

Edited by bowiee

Might be worth a note to Brissy people that Umart are having a flood sale this weekend including a heap of HDDS's.

Huh? Umart flood again or they still trying to sell off flood effected gear? Edited by mark84

Huh? Umart flood again or they still trying to sell off flood effected gear?

Selling flood effected gear. Stuff that was still in air tight bags etc.

As I work at a disty I can say yes, HDD's have gone up more than %300 in the last few weeks due to the none prediction in Thailand.

This is expected to last for at least into next year as shortages cause prices to go up.

Don't expect the pricing to stabilise till early next year.

ouch!

But it's true.