fajw

Why won't BD movies fill the screen?

I have a full HD TV (1920 x 1080 pixels) and when I watch movies using my BD player the video does not fill the screen; there are black rectangles on the screen below and above the video. Why is this? I thought that with everything being full HD the video should fill the screen

as the wiki link above details, most big-budget movies are shot in 2.39:1 aspect ratio (but often referred to as 2.35 anyway, due to old convention).

often the lower-budget movies will be shot in 1.85:1 which is almost identical to what a tv will display (1920x1080).

Yeah, you'll see a lot of 'smaller' movies being released in 16:9 TV-ratio. They do it because a wide shot costs a lot more money - there's literally more screen to fill with location and props, that all needs lighting and blocking or whatever. A big action movie or dramatic sweeping historical piece will be very wide like 2.40:1 and have that high quality 'grandness'. A cheaper rom-com will tend to be in 16:9 for budget reasons as well as just not needing it visually.

All TV on Blu-ray is 16:9 though, so stuff like Dexter or Firefly or what have you will fill your screen.