ARRRRGH Skyrim!

Howdy Gents and gentiles,

With the upcoming release of Skyrim I'm in desparate need of an upgrade... ugh

My current is something like this;

MB: GA-EP45-DS4P

CPU: E8500

GPU: IceQ HD4870 512

Ram: G.Skill ? 2x1GB Corsair ? 2x1GB

I'll likely need to upgrade the lot.. I want to play Skyrim the way it was meant to be played. IE Maxed out.

I've whipped up a few builds like:

Intel Core i5 2500K

Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Golden Sample

Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3

$527.00

If I can I might even sell all my old kit to help out..

Motherboard I'm not sure on. But I'll likely not have much over 500... which sucks. But how is that looking? I'll probably be able to swing another hundred or so... So maybe 600 ish

Think that thing will cut the mustard? It's either this or buy a PS3.. I want one but I don't see it looking as good as PC. Or am I nuts?

Edited by Avliden

Well first off, you don't want a 3x2GB RAM kit - that's a triple channel kit for X58 systems. You just want an 8GB dual channel kit for about $60 or whatever it's at.

The HD 6950 is a bit faster and cheaper than the GTX 560, though who knows if that will be the case for Skyrim.

For motherboard, many people including myself have been having good experience with the cheaper Asrocks - Extreme3 or 4. They're only about $150 and have all the features, build quality, and overclockability you would want in a decent gaming system.

If you still have a decent case and PSU then you can definitely reuse those. If you had more money to spend, I'd definitely recommend an SSD - that's sure to massively help the constant loading Skyrim will do.

I'm partial to Gigabyte boards. As for the gpu I'm open. I hear Skyrim will only be a tad more taxing than oblivion. If that be the case, I'm pretty much set now. Time will tell.

I'd be very surprised if you need to upgrade your CPU OP, I doubt Skyrim will need a Quad core to run well, just upgrade your GPU to a 6950 and maybe look at grabbing a decent aftermarket cooler for your cpu if you don't have one already.

Bit more ram would help too i spose.

I'd be very surprised if you need to upgrade your CPU OP, I doubt Skyrim will need a Quad core to run well, just upgrade your GPU to a 6950 and maybe look at grabbing a decent aftermarket cooler for your cpu if you don't have one already.

Bit more ram would help too i spose.

Yeah just the GPU upgrade should be required, grab one that has over 1Gb of RAM to be on the safe side

be nice if skyrim did make use of a quad core but it probably wont since oblivion and fallout have all been single threaded which is fine until you try to tweak the view distance as i was ending up at the point where a 5ghz 2600k couldnt maintain 60fps in fallout

and that was just by increasing the ugrid load to 9 oblivion has some view distance mods and a open city mod which really suck the cpu power

Yes unfortunatley Skyrim is a totally DX 9 title and the developers have stated repeatedly that the lead platform is the consoles and that the entire game is designed with console hardware in mind. Quite dissapointing really. Im sure the game will still look ok. Where a good cpu will help though is in the draw distances.

But yes - 4 GB or ram.

You serious? just upgrade the GPU? How sure are you all on this? Because if your sure I'll go for whatever GPU I can get for 500ish mark. Would it bottle neck my CPU? if so how about a lil n00b CPU water cooler with an overclock (Corsair for example) ?

Edited by Avliden

GPU upgrade tends to give you the most bang for buck as it goes...

That is as long as you aren't running a bloody celeron with 256mb RAM

The e8500 is 3.2ghz... ? Yeah that souns right. Hopefully that wont pull down a 6970 or w/e.

This looks like pure win 2nd on the toms metro enthusiest line up HD6870X2 2GB

Hows this:

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 $38.00

HIS Radeon HD6970 2GB $365.00

Corsair CX-600 V2 Power Supply $89.00

Sub-Total: $492.00

The e8500 is 3.2ghz... ? Yeah that souns right. Hopefully that wont pull down a 6970 or w/e.

This looks like pure win 2nd on the toms metro enthusiest line up HD6870X2 2GB

Dude a $500 video card will be bottlenecked by that CPU 100%. I have a similar Similar socket 775 set up I use for Overclocking - My GTX 480 IS bottlenecked by the e8500 by at least 60%. Do not do it.

If anything I would get a GTX 560 (vanilla or Ti version). Any more than that would be totally pointless with tha CPU. That card will still be bottlenecked a bit.

RAM - just get 4GB of DDR 2 ram - brand and speed are pretty much irrelevant.

PSU - I recommend a 650 watt as a basic model.

You could overclock the CPU a bit as well - get a basic cooler like a coolermaster Hyper 212+ for $30 - excellent value cooler - will take you CPU up towaard 3.8Ghz/4Ghz which will let the graphics card work better.

Edited by GhostFaceKilla

Dude a $500 video card will be bottlenecked by that CPU 100%. I have a similar Similar socket 775 set up I use for Overclocking - My GTX 480 IS bottlenecked by the e8500 by at least 60%. Do not do it.

that depends on the game a bit

if the game is only single or dual threaded the e8400 even at stock clocks will be faster than a phenom II x4\x6 or fx 8150 which run games just fine for a lot of people

it wouldnt be much slower than a 2500k without overclocking

but it will suck in games that are multithreaded beond 2 cores of which there is more and more around

Balls. So I guess I am replacing the lot. hrmm.. How can I manage that upgrade with 500?

you spend $280 on a 6950 2g now hope that skyrim is like fallout 3 and only wants 1 core unlike the rest of us who will be hoping that it wants 4-12 cores :)

then you save up for a 2500k $220 mb $130 ram $50

here is a review that shows the e8400 vs newer cpu in fallout 3 which is a single threaded benchmark and the game is made by the same people as skyrim

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/47

but then if you swap that over to farcry 2 you will see it fall to half the fps of the 2500k

or maybe just save up and wait till skyrim is actually out

or you could go with amd no faster than your current rig in single threaded tasks possibly slower but much quicker in multithreaded

phenom II 955 $120 mb $100 ram $50

Edited by Dasa

how would an i3 fair?

still dual core so not much better maybe ~10% quicker thanks to ht

Arg, might have to get a ps3. Skyrim probly wont look as good though. Sucks being poor. :(

Even if I manage to sell my cpu,mb,gpu and ram I'll still probly have to pull 100 or more out of nowhere.

like i said above there is a fair chance skyrim will be single threaded thus it will run great on your cpu so wait and see

you can build an entire pc for $500 that will run skyrim better than a ps3 so you should have no problems upgrading to a capable pc