Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Kimmo

Am I getting too old for this, or is Tony Hawk's PS just ridiculously hard?

A few years ago, I had a pro skater mate who got me into this game... I swear, it must have one of, if not the, steepest learning curves of any console game.

That was on PS1, can't remember if it was the first or second one in the franchise... a mate slung me a PS2 recently, so I picked up a copy of THPS 4, and man. Seems to be getting harder...

I can kinda manage to get my vert on (just scored 175,000 after trying for fifteen minutes), and maybe do a few grinds, but my flatland is still a bad joke (prolly needs about 50 hours' practice to be any good), and don't talk to me about stringing combos together... I can't think that fast.

So I'm looking at some of these goals for these levels, and I'm left just shaking my head at some of em... how anyone who isn't an AI or just an insanely hardcore gamer can do em is beyond me.

Check this shit out. Or this. FFS, man!

BTW - funnily enough, watching the pro skater play was pretty boring; he'd just do stuff he could actually do IRL : )

Edited by Kimmo

Hmm I'd say they're fairly equal in terms of difficulty to master.

They just require different skill sets, so to speak.

I was nuts at THPS2, and Underground 2 with the sticker slaps. Jesus... endless combos.

I much prefer the realistic style and slower pace of Skate though.

I think I recall completing most of the THPS games 100%, you just gotta keep practicing Kimmo.

You'll get there eventually. :)

Check this shit out. Or this. FFS, man!

BTW - funnily enough, watching the pro skater play was pretty boring; he'd just do stuff he could actually do IRL : )

Ok now the the links work I dont think its that hard. Me and my brother both played those game religiously as kids and we would pull massive combos like that all the time. We used to spend hours and hour making our own maps as well. Just takes practice dude. :)

For THPS 2, learn to manual.

For THPS 3 and on, learn to revert and manual.

This.

Skate 1, 2 and 3 are harder to master than any THPS game was.

Then this.

'

Hmm I'd say they're fairly equal in terms of difficulty to master.

They just require different skill sets, so to speak.

I was nuts at THPS2, and Underground 2 with the sticker slaps. Jesus... endless combos.

I much prefer the realistic style and slower pace of Skate though.

I think I recall completing most of the THPS games 100%, you just gotta keep practicing Kimmo.

You'll get there eventually. :)

I was far better at THPS than I ever have been at skate. Button pushes are far easier than precise joystick movements.

Its one of those games that is hard at first, but with some practise things become second nature and you find your self automatically adding flips, reverts, transfers etc and racking up the combos. I tried it on a Wii and was useless, but its the whole reason to own a ps2, although my fave was 3 on pc.

Reckon I prefer to put the lion's share of my gaming practice into GT.

Just gotta see about chipping this slim so I can fire up a NTSC copy of GT4 for some 1080i sweetness...

Thps were great at the time, but after playing skate, they're like using a fisher price "my first laptop" vs an actual laptop.

In the gap between skate 2 and 3, i grabbed proving ground for old times sake (and the fact i was fanging for a new skating game). It lasted 2 hours before i returned it and restarted skate 2.

Thps were great at the time, but after playing skate, they're like using a fisher price "my first laptop" vs an actual laptop.

In the gap between skate 2 and 3, i grabbed proving ground for old times sake (and the fact i was fanging for a new skating game). It lasted 2 hours before i returned it and restarted skate 2.

How horrible was proving ground, I tried it for about 20 minutes and gave up. Just felt like such a cheap game compared to skate 1 and 2.

Just gotta see about chipping this slim so I can fire up a NTSC copy of GT4 for some 1080i sweetness...

Its a Playstation 2. Its still going to look terrible.

'

Last Tony Hawk's I played was 4, I think. Was never that good at the games.

A game I was preposterously good at, however, was Dave Mirra's Pro BMX 2.

I got so good at the game that it was no longer a challenge. I could keep chaining combos into the millions of points, until the games' system for punishing over-used tricks starting to bring my score DOWN just from doing ALL the tricks so many times.

It was a very good game, too. I wouldn't mind playing it again sometime. I think there were a few impossible challenges I never actually completed.

I got so good at the game that it was no longer a challenge. I could keep chaining combos into the millions of points, until the games' system for punishing over-used tricks starting to bring my score DOWN just from doing ALL the tricks so many times.

It was a very good game, too. I wouldn't mind playing it again sometime. I think there were a few impossible challenges I never actually completed.

I was a huge Dave Mirra fan. I even played BMX XXX the whole way through (it was originally Dave Mirra 3, but I believe he backed out because of all the T&A). There were rumors for years about a legitimate sequel coming out which I always got excited for, but we're all still waiting.

'

I was a huge Dave Mirra fan. I even played BMX XXX the whole way through (it was originally Dave Mirra 3, but I believe he backed out because of all the T&A). There were rumors for years about a legitimate sequel coming out which I always got excited for, but we're all still waiting.

'

LOL! I remember BMX XXX :P