Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
twisty

Is it worthwhile upgrading my videocard alone?

The 8800 has been a terrific video card, allowing me to play a large variety of cutting edge games at high settings over the past 3-4 years. Having recently purchased the Witcher 2 however, the card is starting to show its age. Adding to this the advent of a slew of upcoming games such as the new Gotham City title, I am considering getting a new card to tide me over until I can afford to upgrade my system to a sandy bridge one next year some time. The question for me I guess will it be worth getting a new card now ($300ish) and also, will I get much of a performance boost or will it be bottl-enecked by my current setup?

Here's my current setup:

M/B: GA-X38-DS4 *

CPU: Core 2 Duo 3GB

Memory: 3 GB DDR2 PC800 (2 in dual channel)

VC: Nvidia 8800

HDD: 2 Raptors (Raid)

* I'm in Hong Kong at the moment so am not totally sure of the exact model of my motherboard but think that it is a GA-X38-DS4, which uses the Intel X38 + ICH9R chipsets.

The Nvidia 560ti or the ATI 6850 would certainly help you & and budget conscious who know throwing in a $500 graphics setup would be limited by the rest.

The above two cards should be ample for 1080p Gaming at respectable levels of detail, if not powerful enough, the Nvidia 570 or the ATI 6870/6950.

What Resolution do you play with?

Budget?

*w7 32bit - Your limiting your system to only use 3.25GB of RAM (Inc GFX CARD RAM)

Go to W7 64Bit if you can, removes the limitation.

Edited by drawesome

The maximum resolution that I play in is 1280x1024 but usually less than that (btw 21 inch monitor).

Unfortunately I only have the 32 bit version of W7 Ultimate, which I got for free through a promotion when W7 was first released. Ultimate is still fairly pricey and the main reason that I want to retain that version is that includes MUI. When I do the full upgrade next year some time, I intend to install 64bit then.

My current budget is around or below $300.

Edited by twisty

My mate dropped a 6950 in with his E8500 (4ghz) and he reckons hes getting awesome performance in most games.

Depending on the CPU (if its an old E6600 or something, which I'm guessing it is?) you might be alright if you can OC it to like 4ghz, but if you can't, you'll still some good gains, but you will definitely have a big bottleneck.

*w7 32bit - Your limiting your system to only use 3.25GB of RAM (Inc GFX CARD RAM)

Go to W7 64Bit if you can, removes the limitation.

Its actually 4gb iirc, but it includes things like HDD cache etc. aswell.

The maximum resolution that I play in is 1280x1024 but usually less than that (btw 21 inch monitor).

Unfortunately I only have the 32 bit version of W7 Ultimate, which I got for free through a promotion when W7 was first released. Ultimate is still fairly pricey and the main reason that I want to retain that version is that includes MUI. When I do the full upgrade next year some time, I intend to install 64bit then.

My current budget is around or below $300.

You can install Win 7 x64 ultimate using a 32 bit key, just grab the download off a torrent or off MS' site and give it a whirl, not that its going to matter anyway, you're running with 3gb of ram and a 512mb gpu anyway.

Yup, it's not illegal, your cdkey is a license to use their product, your own dvd or not, 64bit included.

Great. Well I'll definitely try upgrading to 64bit when I get home.

I'm not going to get any more ram in the short term though as I've got a DDR2 only system unfortunately.

Well, uhm, I kind of got a bit carried away down at Sham Shui Po. I know I planned on only getting a video card but couldn't help myself once I got there. Anyway, this kind of makes this thread title redundant but here's what I got:

• Intel Core i7-2600 Processor (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz)
  • ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
  • 8GB Dual channel kit: D3-1333 CL9 Kingston (2 x 4GB)
  • Galaxy GTX570
  • OCZ Vertex3 60GB SATA3
Total AUD$882 (HKD$6959)

I can't wait to try this out.

Well, uhm, I kind of got a bit carried away down at Sham Shui Po. I know I planned on only getting a video card but couldn't help myself once I got there. Anyway, this kind of makes this thread title redundant but here's what I got:

• Intel Core i7-2600 Processor (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz)
  • ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
  • 8GB Dual channel kit: D3-1333 CL9 Kingston (2 x 4GB)
  • Galaxy GTX570
  • OCZ Vertex3 60GB SATA3
Total AUD$882 (HKD$6959)

I can't wait to try this out.

Holy crap, what time were you there? I was there between 8-9pm and picked up an Antec Lanboy Air Blue and a PSU. We probably crossed paths.

Sham Shui Po is an awfully easy place to get carried away in hey? I try to avoid it except for when absolutely necessary and decide on what I'm going to get before entering the labyrinth.

"Deeper is Cheaper"...

:-)

Yeah, that is a coincidence -- are you based there permanently or were you just there on holiday? I was there around 4pm in the afternoon.

I must admit that in the past there has been very little difference in price between there and Oz but things were definitely a little cheaper there this time around.

Btw, I managed to install 64bit W7 and had to do this as a fresh install as the sata pins on my WD Raptor have broken off and I can't access the data atm for obvious reasons.

I'm here permanently. Nearly six years now and definitely plan to stay and get PR status. Yeah I noticed the larger price differences as well. It's usually only 10% max. NFI why though...

The reason why it is more expensive here is because Australia have lots of crazy taxes and transportation cost a fortune not to mention the normal overheads also cost more.

Although, now competition from online and less people spending helps to bring prices down a little but most of the time, retail are rip off.

The prices in US are ridiculously much cheaper than here.

I think the high end components doesn't come down that much cheaper in HK.

Edited by karhou