Sign in to follow this  
NukeJockey

Android or iOS?

As above, which mobile OS out of those 2 has the best apps? I know the iphone has had a head start over android as far as apps and stuff go, but what about quality apps? I dunno how many apps the iphone has these days, but from what I can tell about 90% of them are useless rubbish.

Boring games, crappy entertainment programs etc.

I'm basically in a standoff, deciding between 3 different phones, 2 with Android, 1 with iOS.

The iPhone 4s, the HTC EVO 3D and the Samsung Galaxy S2.

I want to play games on my mobile device, I want to read e-books, I want to take video and photos of things when I get caught without my DSLR (which is alot) and most importantly, I want stability and proper support through the life of my device, not the life of the OS on it.

Now, the reason why I mentioned the last part is because of what apple did to my iphone 3G. To use some of the newer apps/games etc. I had to upgrade to ios4.0 a while back and it fucked up my 3G big time. I don't want that to happen again.

So, people who have experience with Android, tell me why its better than iOS (if you can) I've been using iOS for the last 2 years so I know its going to be like getting a new iphone. But what about an android based smartphone?

Most of the popular games are on both platforms so it really doesn't matter.

For E-books download Amazon Kindle for Android/Iphone.

To be honest both systems have their advantages and disadvantages, but i've been very happy with my Android phones with the only annoynig thing being MMS when i have the mobile data turned off (It doesn't work sometimes).

I've played with both phones and i'd say Iphone is a bit snappier and maybe more "noob" friendly, but like i said above, i've never thought about swtiching away from Android which must mean it's decent enough :).

Edited by smakme7757

Firstly, screw those choices, and consider the Galaxy Nexus. If you want stability and updates, always get a Nexus phone. Think of them as the Android equivalent to the iPhone (they're commissioned by Google).

Whether iOS is better than Android really depends on your expectations. The major advantage to Android is it's 'Intent' system. Without going into detail, it means you can replace the functionality of most elements of the OS really easily. Don't like the launcher (think home screens on iOS)? Install a new one. Don't like the keyboard? Choose another. Found an awesome camera app? Set that as the default. Don't want to be restricted to Twitter as the main method of sharing content? Install other social network apps. It's really awesome.

Then there's the things like widgets, live wallpapers, and lots of free apps. There's a lot of crap on the Market just like iOS, so don't think you'll be escaping that. The main difference is that the crap on Android doesn't look as pretty. I wouldn't worry about the popular apps being missing, Android isn't neglected by developers.

The main drawback with Android was that it wasn't as fluid as iOS with animations. Android 4.0 seems to have tackled this head on, which is why I've been pushing the Galaxy Nexus (it's the first phone to get Android 4.0). The Galaxy Nexus also has the fastest camera on the market:

Really, you have to try it and see. It's hard to recommend one OS over the other.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Then there's the things like widgets, live wallpapers, and lots of free apps. There's a lot of crap on the Market just like iOS, so don't think you'll be escaping that. The main difference is that the crap on Android doesn't look as pretty. I wouldn't worry about the popular apps being missing, Android isn't neglected by developers.

My wife has immersed her phone in Picture widgets of our daughter. It's the primary reason she won't touch an Iphone with a 40" pole :). Widgets are actually really neat and often forgotten.

I like the look of the Galaxy nexus and its spec sheet.

I want a new phone now, which I can get through telsuck, they will waive the last few months of my contract, but I have to go on a new one.

With this new job I have, the price isn't going to be as much of a hassle as it was 3 months ago.

Any idea when the Galaxy Nexus is coming to Aus?

Yeah I saw an article about it being in their systems, looks like Australia might be due around December 2nd or so, while the UK and US are due in about a week? I'm not really into the whole mobile tech thing, how much better is the nexus gonna be over the s2?

It's going to be similar performance wise. But the screen, OS, and camera will be significantly better. i.e. 800x480 vs 1280x720, Android 2.3 vs Android 4.0 (Android 3.x was tablet only), and faster camera on the Nexus.

Will the S2 have support for Android 4.0?

It will, the HTC Sensation will have it ported too, though the Galaxy Nexus is the pure Google Android experience, which is why i would recommend it. You avoid waiting for your carrier getting updates to you.

Edited by 2SHY

Yeah I saw an article about it being in their systems, looks like Australia might be due around December 2nd or so, while the UK and US are due in about a week? I'm not really into the whole mobile tech thing, how much better is the nexus gonna be over the s2?

Stay the hell away from Telstra-branded phones, save yourself the trouble of flashing it and just buy one from overseas.

Stay the hell away from Telstra-branded phones, save yourself the trouble of flashing it and just buy one from overseas.

Why would you get a Telstra branded phone, they have less bloat than the others.

I got an S2 today, the only telstra installed apps I could see weren't actually apps but web links, deleted them and its clean.

Very fast too, decided not to wait for the nexus as chances are it would end up out of my price range.

Really, you have to try it and see. It's hard to recommend one OS over the other.

Exactly. Perhaps the people who are comparing these two OS haven't tried them both. They may even be soliciting for opinions from users who have already tried it.

When you are used to having an Android phone even for few months, there is a greater possibility of liking it dearly and vice versa. And you can't possibly like iOS especially if you don't have a hardware running it.

My father just bought a Telstra branded Wildfire S. Apart from the Telstra boot screen the only other thing Telstra was the TelstraOne app. I might add that on my vanilla SII, I installed that very same app.

Asfar as which is better???????? After using iPhones for 3+yrs, I prefer Android.

I'm quite liking Android, however iPhone has far better games from what I can tell. There are heaps from iphone that are on android, but there are also heaps that aren't.

Although it's late, I'll chip in my 2c in case someone refers this thread for the same reasons it was posted.

1) If you have an existing iTunes account with lots on it, then get an iPhone. It just makes sense.

2) If you don't have an iTunes account or you don't want one, get an Android. Purely because you can get the same features for cheaper.

I've setup both (Although I found iPhones more of a pain in the arse to setup. If you just want to setup iTunes and phone, it's easy. Want to setup exchange emails? Seperate your personal and work emails.. Welcome to right royal pain in arse time. Compared to Android which took me sub 2 minutes to get 3 email accounts setup. 1 x exchange for work, 1 personal and 1 spammy account).

Apps are often similar. And if they appear on iPhone then likely they'll get to Android soon *OR* there is an alternative under a different name which is near identical.

AD

gonna tell you now im biased towards iphone as i havent really played with android much.

But im an in love with my iphone, cant live without it, im big on fitness and my girl friend just got me a nike sensor which ties in with the Nike+ iphone app that comes with the phone to let you track your fitness goals in terms of meaningful apps that you were talking about this is definately one.

if your big on music your going to get a good result with the iphone naturally because music is a big part of it. Siri is also very cool :P. but yeah theres my 2 cents.

if your big on music your going to get a good result with the iphone naturally because music is a big part of it.

not just iphone, android has a free app that can sync your itunes library.

gonna tell you now im biased towards iphone as i havent really played with android much.

But im an in love with my iphone, cant live without it, im big on fitness and my girl friend just got me a nike sensor which ties in with the Nike+ iphone app that comes with the phone to let you track your fitness goals in terms of meaningful apps that you were talking about this is definately one.

if your big on music your going to get a good result with the iphone naturally because music is a big part of it. Siri is also very cool :P. but yeah theres my 2 cents.

The music player on the Galaxy S2 supports FLAC :P

I'm really digging my Galaxy S2, android is such a great OS, so open compared to ios.

I love the fact that I can just plug it in to my pc and dump music and ebooks and game installers etc. onto it, rather than having to go through itunes.

Thats its biggest plus for me I think.

what suprised me and I havent seen before was when I set my up newly purchased Motorola Xoom. When i went onto the market i noticed a "My Apps" tab, I clicked it and it had a list of whats on my SII. With 1 press of a button it installed all the apps that would run on the Xoom from my current list.

How cool is that.