Sign in to follow this  
NukeJockey

Android or iOS?

You should also consider windows phone 7, i hadnt thought of it before but i just tried a demo of one on my lunch break. the phone is so responsive and smooth that it easily put the speed of my iphone to shame and from my experience the android aswell. like i said before im partial to the iphone but the windows phone was so responsive it was almost shocking. you should check it out.

Bit late for that now.

I read that the ms mobile OS is rather restrictive, some reviews even compared it to the iphone in that regard.

Wasn't what I was after, completely happy with the S2.

I haven't got a lot of time to read all comments, so I will say this;

I was chatting about this very dilemma with an atomican recently, and brought this up.

Android, whilst having the customisation, the free apps and the nerd factor, IMHO doesn't come close to iOS for these reasons;

Customisation, yea it is great to be able to tweak the shit out of your mobile device and get a billion features and addons, but when I want something that works how I want out of the box, iOS wins.

Free apps; yea, both markets have their share of free apps, but my problem I found with android, is that a lot of their free apps don't have paid versions that get rid of ads, this pisses me off as I would rather put a few bucks in a developers hands to not be bombarded with ads.

The nerd factor, whilst my time with android was not very long, I found the following, I couldn't get a decent RDP app that supported AD credential storage as well as iTap RDP on iPhone and iPad, I also couldn't for the life of me find many decent AD admin tools, whereas on iOS I found many tools, free and paid that would do what I wanted.

Make your own choices, but these are my gripes with Android, and I feel they are quite valid for me.

lunchbox: Surprised about your comment about RDP and AD....

I tried to find some of that stuff for an iPhone recently and it was all absolute crap.

Android had dozens which most were free, even without ads.. Brilliant support. As for AD. Anything iPhone has touched with AD I found has turned to crap. Android I found 'just worked' ..

Weird.

AD

I use the iTap suite for RDP and VNC, as for AD management, it is basic, but I use ADHelpdesk (full version) and it seems to do what I need to, includes the saved query for search for any locked accounts...

Most of the popular games are on both platforms so it really doesn't matter.

For E-books download Amazon Kindle for Android/Iphone.

To be honest both systems have their advantages and disadvantages, but i've been very happy with my Android phones with the only annoynig thing being MMS when i have the mobile data turned off (It doesn't work sometimes).

I've played with both phones and i'd say Iphone is a bit snappier and maybe more "noob" friendly, but like i said above, i've never thought about swtiching away from Android which must mean it's decent enough :).

My thoughts also.

I haven't got a lot of time to read all comments, so I will say this;

I was chatting about this very dilemma with an atomican recently, and brought this up.

Android, whilst having the customisation, the free apps and the nerd factor, IMHO doesn't come close to iOS for these reasons;

Customisation, yea it is great to be able to tweak the shit out of your mobile device and get a billion features and addons, but when I want something that works how I want out of the box, iOS wins.

Free apps; yea, both markets have their share of free apps, but my problem I found with android, is that a lot of their free apps don't have paid versions that get rid of ads, this pisses me off as I would rather put a few bucks in a developers hands to not be bombarded with ads.

The nerd factor, whilst my time with android was not very long, I found the following, I couldn't get a decent RDP app that supported AD credential storage as well as iTap RDP on iPhone and iPad, I also couldn't for the life of me find many decent AD admin tools, whereas on iOS I found many tools, free and paid that would do what I wanted.

Make your own choices, but these are my gripes with Android, and I feel they are quite valid for me.

I disagree, my Android worked very well straight from the box (even working as a portable hdd)... the iPhone, however, needed iTunes bs installed to work properly.

Ads, I'm not sure what you're talking about there... I've noticed plenty of paid versions but having a minor ad bar down the bottom for free software doesn't bother me.

Edited by sm1ddy